Dual Rectifier comparison (real vs axe fx)

Skyadron

Inspired
Hello everyone!
I recorded a video comparison between my dual rectifier and the axe fx version of the thing. I don't even know which one I like the most so I'll let you decide (I skipped to the comparison for you guys, since all the comments I made in the beginning of the video are in portuguese):

https://youtu.be/MSnd_VQ3YiY?t=1m30s

The comparison is between the red modern channel and the recto2 red modern. The cab I used in the axe fx was CK's cab pack 7 SM57 B1.

Enjoy!

The original is bigger, richer, and deeper. Might be the IR, though........

Its tough to tell which is "better" without using the same IR or micing the same cab. Both sound good to me. The axe fx version cuts through the mix better, but its got more mids so that basically a given.

Use a different ir that is not as middy, yeah new word, or one that has a little less air.
That is where Ir's choke, when their not right on the cone, for that kind of tune anyway. :)
Sounds cool none the less.

It's really hard to tell because the mic vs IR is different but I recently compared the Axe-Fx Recto to a Roadster and I felt like the Axe-Fx Recto had waaaaayyy too much gain. Are your settings similar in this clip? Do you think the gain level is the same when you set all knobs to 12 o'clock?

Its tough to tell which is "better" without using the same IR or micing the same cab. Both sound good to me. The axe fx version cuts through the mix better, but its got more mids so that basically a given.

I totally agree! It seems that the axe fx takes less space in the mix (which also means it sounds a little bit smaller) but even though the tones are a bit different, I can't tell which one is better. I keep changing my mind according to my mood :lol

It's really hard to tell because the mic vs IR is different but I recently compared the Axe-Fx Recto to a Roadster and I felt like the Axe-Fx Recto had waaaaayyy too much gain. Are your settings similar in this clip? Do you think the gain level is the same when you set all knobs to 12 o'clock?

Yes it does sound different. I regret not spending more time trying to get the mic sound closer to the IR. I'll do more comparisons in the future and if I find out anything interesting I'll post it here. I'll probably try to plug the axe fx to the recto's power amp and mic it up to compare the pre amps. I bet they will be almost indistinguishable in that kind of situation.

And yes, I felt the exact same thing with the Axe Fx's Recto. It has more gain than the original thing! All the knobs in the amp are at 12 o'clock position (including presence) except for the gain, which is at 1 o'clock and the master which was at 8 o'clock (I live in an apartment). I used the same settings on the Axe Fx.

Last edited:
one is thicker and fuller, the other (when u pan to the axe so I assume its the axe) is thinner, more mid, and frankly sounds less amp in the room (less deep chug). Both sound great but totally different.

There is certainly a difference, but as Clark Kent showed in his amp tweaking for the Mark IV, the Axe won't emulate the settings exactly.You have to use your ears to get the tone, not just the knobs.

one is thicker and fuller, the other (when u pan to the axe so I assume its the axe) is thinner, more mid, and frankly sounds less amp in the room (less deep chug). Both sound great but totally different.

Yes, when the axe is on screen, the sound is coming from the axe!

What I'm wondering is... if you have the amp... and the cab.... why not do a tone match?
I'll do that! I just wanted to have an idea of how different they would sound without much tweaking.

There is certainly a difference, but as Clark Kent showed in his amp tweaking for the Mark IV, the Axe won't emulate the settings exactly.You have to use your ears to get the tone, not just the knobs.
Yes you're right. I just wanted to have an idea of how different they would sound and show that to people. Not trying to claim one sounds better than the other. I'll probably just tone match the real thing if I want to get the exact same sound I get from the amp. But I feel the Axe Fx sounds wonderful in its own way and I love it!

Well, the IR is most of the game. In fact, it's far more important than the amp source (not that the source isn't important). I dare say there is no amount of tweaking you could do to make that axe patch with that IR sound like the mic'ed cab with the real amp. Alternately, I'm betting if you ran the amp into an IR loader and loaded in the CK IR, the two sources would sound much more similar than they do currently. Similarly, if you tone match the amp you will get much closer (although probably not 100%) to the actual amp.

I'm saying this because I occasion the rectifier and with the IRs I use, I get significantly closer to the sound of the real amp sound you're getting here. In my opinion, by this video, the Axe-fx sounds pretty sad by comparison.

Yeah the Axe has some more highs going on which is an easy fix, also needs a little lows....sounds great though

These tones are IMO too far apart to make a judgement on the amp modeling. Even the Roadster is pretty damn close once I tweak the input trim.

I have done the comparisons with the same IRs.

Skyadron! Could you record some slave out signal of that Dual Rectifier? You can use an IR with it and then this is comparable. :)

These tones are IMO too far apart to make a judgement on the amp modeling. Even the Roadster is pretty damn close once I tweak the input trim.

I have done the comparisons with the same IRs.

Skyadron! Could you record some slave out signal of that Dual Rectifier? You can use an IR with it and then this is comparable. :)

Sure! I'll try to do that later today :)

Hey everyone! Sorry it took me so long to record a clip with the rectifier running through the same impulse as the axe fx model.
Here it is: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14642837/Recto vs Axe fx (CP 7) .mp3

I used the slave out feed from the recto plugged to input 1 left (rear), and bypassed all blocks in the patch except for the cabinet (which is the same one used in the video).
The first one is the axe fx II, the second one is the real rectifier, which sounds a lot thinner now. I'm guessing that the speaker resonance simulation on the amp block gives the model more body (Mikko, please correct me if I'm wrong!). The model also sounds smoother to me.

I think that in this case, using the same IR, the Axe Fx wins. I'll try to do the same comparison this weekend, but this time I'll plug the axe fx to the rectifier's power amp and mic both of them up using the same mic position. This should also be interesting.

Hey everyone! Sorry it took me so long to record a clip with the rectifier running through the same impulse as the axe fx model.
Here it is: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14642837/Recto vs Axe fx (CP 7) .mp3
I think that in this case, using the same IR, the Axe Fx wins. I'll try to do the same comparison this weekend, but this time I'll plug the axe fx to the rectifier's power amp and mic both of them up using the same mic position. This should also be interesting.

Wow - I listened before reading and just assumed the real one was first. The Axe-Fx does win in this comparison.

I used the slave out feed from the recto plugged to input 1 left (rear), and bypassed all blocks in the patch except for the cabinet (which is the same one used in the video).
The first one is the axe fx II, the second one is the real rectifier, which sounds a lot thinner now. I'm guessing that the speaker resonance simulation on the amp block gives the model more body (Mikko, please correct me if I'm wrong!). The model also sounds smoother to me.

Was your amp connected to 4x12 cab or to a loadbox or something else when you recorded the slave out signal?

Back
Top Bottom