Dual mono??

Bruce Sokolovic

Fractal Fanatic
I don’t see an option for this or how to make an output strictly mono. I want to take a direct from out 4. It’s wired currently left and right for stereo to my interface. If I pull up a mono channel will I get a true mono signal by selecting the out 4 left only channel? Or am I splitting a stereo signal and somehow degrading my direct?

looks like setup > I / O >tab over to Audio page > scroll down to OUTPUT 4 CONFIGURATION and set the mode to COPY L->R. that would get you actual dual mono. if you have it set to stereo and only take the L or R channel you aren't getting the full audio in mono, just which ever side you picked.

Edit: adding screenshot of manual. Looks like it obviously depends on what you have in your signal chain for half stereo vs dual mono.

1677516231243.png

It is still a little confusing. Not your directions, but the concept. Isnt input 1 a fixed mono input? If it is a solely mono input source, wouldnt both stereo outputs have equal weight of the source, making all of the above options redundant? Or worse, shouldnt copy left to right null? Would the stereo outputs have equal weight of the source, but not equal volume out of only 1 channel?

It is still a little confusing. Not your directions, but the concept. Isnt input 1 a fixed mono input? If it is a solely mono input source, wouldnt both stereo outputs have equal weight of the source, making all of the above options redundant? Or worse, shouldnt copy left to right null? Would the stereo outputs have equal weight of the source, but not equal volume out of only 1 channel?
It would null if you flip the phase on one of them

Don't overthink it. If you only run one cable, you get perfect mono. You can run two identical mono signals in two different cables and sum them at the interface. That might theoretically give you 3dB signal to noise ratio, but you risk phase issues if the signals or cables are not identical.
As you are running a mono source into a stereo block the two sides of the stereo block will be identical.

Keep it simple; use one cable.

Last edited:
I just record the left or right side if I’m tracking in mono, like for double tracking.

Back
Top Bottom