Dual delay preset help!!

DBrianinAZ

Inspired
Hello and Merry Christmas FF members!! I am trying to create a dual delay preset similar to Andy Timmons
style with one delay at 500Ms and the other at 350ms of delay. I am not sure why this is so challenging but I would appreciate any help (ie a preset that could be shared that I could use as a template, or a video using AxeEdit to create one preferably)... Sincerely appreciate the assistance :).

Brian

I remember reading here recently that the Timmons delays would actually be a combo of 500ms/375ms (1/8 and 1/4 notes).
Pick a delay type, select the "dual delay" option, set delay 1 tempo to 1/8, set delay 2 tempo to 1/4 and you're basically done.
At 120 bpm, those settings are the 550 ms/375 ms you want.

He has one of my favorite delay sounds and I use his dual delay setup primarily for all my leads. I'll try and post a YouTube link later, but if I remember correctly he used 2 EHX Memory Man(s) run serial with the 375ms run into the 500.

I've been experimenting with this for a while and really enjoy the new Deluxe Mind Guy for this. It sounds better to my ears with 374 & 501 bpm FYI. I also vary from AT by running both delays in separate parallel paths. The interaction between two delays routed serial feels a little different, but I prefer the ambiance of parallel. He also runs them mono if I recall correctly. I'll try to post some patches on the Axechange later. Marry Xmas or whatever's y'all!

In the studio he runs stereo and live he is now running stereo too. Prior he ran them in series into a mono set up. I run mono and pretty much nail the gallop you head when he shows what the repeats sound like in the videos he did over at Mesa Boogie explaining his old set up. Here is my setting. Choose your delay of choice tweak as needed but this get's me as close as I personally wanted to be. If you are not into tapping your temp use your shorter time for L and your longer time for R
Also note I run my delay in parallel, if you run it in series do not use my Mix/input gain settings

[/URL
]

You don't even have to use the dual delay config, the stereo one will work fine too if you're not going to use the tape sim.

The way he has his TImeline set up, it's actually not 2 seperate delay lines, but rather 2 taps. So if you really want to go for it his sound, use the mono tape, and set the R ratio to 75% and pan 1 to 100 and pan 2 to -100. His short tap is to the left, so that's why it's panned like that.

You don't even have to use the dual delay config, the stereo one will work fine too if you're not going to use the tape sim.

The way he has his TImeline set up, it's actually not 2 seperate delay lines, but rather 2 taps. So if you really want to go for it his sound, use the mono tape, and set the R ratio to 75% and pan 1 to 100 and pan 2 to -100. His short tap is to the left, so that's why it's panned like that.
Interesting and what is head 1 tempo set too.8 or 1/4?

For running stereo that makes sense but when running mono and panning center it wouldn't work. When Andy used to run mono he ran the equivalent of the .8th into the 1/4. Any ideas on what to set the ratio if the tempo is set to .8 and Pan 1/2 or set to 0?

For running stereo that makes sense but when running mono and panning center it wouldn't work. When Andy used to run mono he ran the equivalent of the .8th into the 1/4. Any ideas on what to set the ratio if the tempo is set to .8 and Pan 1/2 or set to 0?

It works in mono too. Running two totally separate delay lines will give you slight phasing issues when both delay lines repeat at the same time, then I would suggest running ratio at 76% to avoid that. This will happen at the fourth repeat for the dotted 1/8. and the third repeat for the 1/4. That would be 1500ms after the initial note, if the times are 375/500ms.

When running the mono tape with the ratio at 75%, the taps never repeat at the same time, since it's two taps, not two separate delays. And I'm positive that Andy runs it in mono do when doing shows with a limited backline, like he did here in Sweden a couple of weeks ago at a guitar show. Try it, you'll see what I mean.

It works in mono too. Running two totally separate delay lines will give you slight phasing issues when both delay lines repeat at the same time, then I would suggest running ratio at 76% to avoid that. This will happen at the fourth repeat for the dotted 1/8. and the third repeat for the 1/4. That would be 1500ms after the initial note, if the times are 375/500ms.

When running the mono tape with the ratio at 75%, the taps never repeat at the same time, since it's two taps, not two separate delays. And I'm positive that Andy runs it in mono do when doing shows with a limited backline, like he did here in Sweden a couple of weeks ago at a guitar show. Try it, you'll see what I mean.
Interesting. He def runs it Mono when he has a limited back line but he has starting going stereo live when possible. I will def try it out. I just assumed we had to select .8 as tempo and a different ratio.

Interesting. He def runs it Mono when he has a limited back line but he has starting going stereo live when possible. I will def try it out. I just assumed we had to select .8 as tempo and a different ratio.

You tap the 1/4 notes, that's your beat. The dotted 1/8 is just a subdivision and sorts itself in relation to the 1/4 note, if that makes sense? I'd make clips if I where at home :)

You tap the 1/4 notes, that's your beat. The dotted 1/8 is just a subdivision and sorts itself in relation to the 1/4 note, if that makes sense? I'd make clips if I where at home :)
I think I got it. I get the results I want with the dual delay but I can't have Tape if I do dual delay so I am looking fwd to trying this

I think I got it. I get the results I want with the dual delay but I can't have Tape if I do dual delay so I am looking fwd to trying this

You can use two delay blocks if you want two separate delays like the dual delay config. I've done that from time to time. Put them in parallel with the dry signal.

The memory man. I actually have not heard the TL one yet but I assume the gallop is the same. Just the delay it self sounding different.
Any curious about what the gallop we are talking about sounds like you can hear it around the 1 min mark of this video

The memory man. I actually have not heard the TL one yet but I assume the gallop is the same. Just the delay it self sounding different.
Any curious about what the gallop we are talking about sounds like you can hear it around the 1 min mark of this video

That's the memory mans in series. The Timeline sounds quite different. Two delays in series vs a two tap delay. The two delays in series thing will only work in mono.

Here's how the Timeline sounds, 1:30 in:

Last edited:
That's the memory mans in series. The Timeline sounds quite different. Two delays in series vs a two tap delay.
Yes I am aware it is the memory man. Is he not going for that same gallop of 375/500? I would expect the TL to sound very different than the memory man but 375/500 is 375/500 regardless of unit I would think

Back
Top Bottom