Dual amps

Hi guys!
What is your best tip on making a great stereo dual amp preset? :)
Same amps, different settings? Delay one amp slightly? Different amps? 100% L-R or a moderate panning?
I'd like to hear your experiences :)

K

sometimes I use one amp with two different cabs [cabs panned hard]
sometimes I use two amps each with their own cab [amps and cabs panned hard]

I used to use an X3Live, and got really used to the dual set up.
Generally you would want to use 2 complementary amps, so they fill up what the other is lacking in a mix.

Everyone would always complement our sound, they said we sounded so "full" hoho.

One of my fauvorite combinations was a 100w Plexi and a JTM45, both panned to the sides enough so u could tell them apart, but not that much so they still mixed up and create that full sound i was after.

Last edited:
I like to use 2 amps split hard left and right to different cabs in all my patches. When they're sitting on top of each other in a mono scenario I don't love it.

For my big heavy patches I'll mix a big low end gain monster like the HBE, with something else with less gain and more midrange punch like the jumpered Plexi. That's been my current go to combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I combine 1 clean amp & 1 dirty amp in separate parallel lines same input, same output into the chorus, delay, verb Out. I control the amount of each with Vol/Pan blocks at the beginning of each line (controlled with a single expression pedal). Another line starts with the FXloop block with a piezo and the UR guitarbody IR. I run each line independent with delay only on the non-piezo side. It gives a great clean pick attack thru the dirty amp and fills in nicely when the dirty amp might be EQ scooped. On the clean amps the piezo still cuts through for attack and has nice resonance on held chords. I can defeat the Piezo line with another Vol/Pan block.

It simply kills and is the most fun I have ever had with a guitar!

Thank You Fractal for Being Awesome!

sometimes I use one amp with two different cabs [cabs panned hard]
sometimes I use two amps each with their own cab [amps and cabs panned hard]

Cliff's words about chain effects coming to mind, if you pan the cabs, do you need to pan the amps? I didn't think so.

Anyone else use the mix block to dial in two amps? I really like using it to get just the right mix.

Using a frequency analyzer helps. It'll let you get in the ballpark of both amps complimenting each other real quick. Just cut one where the other is boosting, to start. One of the best guitar tones I've ever heard both live and on album was Joe Bonamassa, and he used multiple amps going into the same cab. Just an idea. I know guys like Brad Paisley will play through multiple of the SAME amp to get a fuller sound, because he swears they all sound different and they fill in different overtones, even though they're the same thing. I don't know how the Axe Fx reproduces this, so I'm not sure if that's an option you could go for. Shit man, you could get drastically different tones by having the exact same amp and cab settings but different mic positions, so... experiment!

But before I forget, one other thing to keep in mind: having one amp bone clean and another massively distorted gives you snarling brutality AND angelic clarity all at once...

But before I forget, one other thing to keep in mind: having one amp bone clean and another massively distorted gives you snarling brutality AND angelic clarity all at once...

I've tried this, but the clean tone takes all the meat away from the gain tone. I guess if they were both ass full of highs and presence, maybe not........ewww

Back
Top Bottom