Dual Amps

T

TheElaborateDream

Hi there,

I just recently purchased an Axe FX III and I am looking for input or direction on the best way to blend amps in Axe FX. I am not sure if I am overcomplicating this, but do I essentially just pan each cab left and right? I have tried searching the forum and youtube to see if this is covered in detail, but could not come up with anything.

For those using dual amps and cabs, what is your process?

Please excuse if I missed a thread on the site. I could not find what I was looking for in the search.

If you want full separation between the amps, hard pan the amp blocks opposite each other and feed them into a cab block that is set to stereo input mode. You'll need to use at least two IRs, one for each side. Hard pan your left and right cabs in the cab block accordingly.

I'm sorry, I do not know what an IR is? Any chance you have a screen shot of a setup you use. I am also not certain of what you mean by feeding two cabs into another cab block that is set to stereo input. A visual might be helpful if you have time.

I'm sorry, I do not know what an IR is? Any chance you have a screen shot of a setup you use. I am also not certain of what you mean by feeding two cabs into another cab block that is set to stereo input. A visual might be helpful if you have time.
an IR is an Impulse Response, and it's what you're using when you choose a Cab in the Cab block. all of those cabs are IRs.

what is your goal for using Dual Amps? have you heard something you want to recreate?

Pull up the factory preset called "Jim and Leo" It's set up similar to how I described.

The factory preset called "Dual Clean" is setup up like yyz67 described using two cab blocks instead of one.

an IR is an Impulse Response, and it's what you're using when you choose a Cab in the Cab block. all of those cabs are IRs.

what is your goal for using Dual Amps? have you heard something you want to recreate?

Not really trying to recreate. I am a fan of Adam Jones's tone. I am just trying to wrap my head around how to blend to amps and cabs would be blended in Axe Fx.

Pull up the factory preset called "Jim and Leo" It's set up similar to how I described.

The factory preset called "Dual Clean" is setup up like yyz67 described using two cab blocks instead of one.
I will take a look thank you.

You really have some reading to do.

Edit:
We are trying to help, but there are aspects that you need to really read and/or research. This unit takes learning, and much of what you're saying are things that you need to learn about on your own with the copious amount of documentation that we have on this forum (search button), the tutorials that are online, or purchasable.

We cannot help you learn the unit. That has to be you.

My suggestion is start digging into the presets, or download and tweak those on axechange.

You really have some reading to do.

Edit:
We are trying to help, but there are aspects that you need to really read and/or research. This unit takes learning, and much of what you're saying are things that you need to learn about on your own with the copious amount of documentation that we have on this forum (search button), the tutorials that are online, or purchasable.

We cannot help you learn the unit. That has to be you.

My suggestion is start digging into the presets, or download and tweak those on axechange.
Sounds like it. I'll get there.

I am currently using dual amps while recording. Guitar goes through input 1 and splits to two amp blocks in parallel (each connected to their own cab block - - one panned hard left, the other panned hard right), and then the cabs then both go to output 1. This allows me to record two amp tones at once onto separate tracks in my DAW. This same concept can be used for routing live as well.

I would either pan hard left & right and use one output block (as above) or route each cab to its own output block. Scenario 1 would give you two mono signals but use only one output, while Scenario 2 would allow for two stereo signals using two outputs. In both cases the tones are completely separate from one another, allowing for the most flexibility in terms of mixing.

When I actually mix guitars for recordings, I will often pan each guitar opposite each other around 85% so that either guitar doesn't reside exclusively on one side of the mix. This requires that you to follow the "completely separate" concept above though.

There's no hard and fast rule regarding how to pan dual Cab blocks. I've seen presets from respected guitarists that pan them hard left and right, and some that keep them centered. Try it both ways and see which you prefer. As far as the arrangement of the blocks, it's standard practice to run the Amp (and Cab) blocks in parallel rather than in series. Here's an example from Steve Stevens(Billy Idol's guitarist):

Capture.JPG

You can download that preset here:

Attachments

• Stevens Plexi-AC.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
There's no hard and fast rule regarding how to pan dual Cab blocks. I've seen presets from respected guitarists that pan them hard left and right, and some that keep them centered. Try it both ways and see which you prefer. As far as the arrangement of the blocks, it's standard practice to run the Amp (and Cab) blocks in parallel rather than in series. Here's an example from Steve Stevens(Billy Idol's guitarist):

View attachment 76404

You can download that preset here:

Thank you.

Hi FAS users/abusers,

I have some weird issues when I'm using dual amp - dual cab setups.
When I build a patch from scratch I add the first amp and cab block and pan it hard left for example, all sounds normal at that point. I then add the second amp and cab and pan it hard right. This second amp and cab sounds VERY strange, like partially clean/bypassed (loud) with a background fizz of amp distortion (very quiet).

I have then found if I mess around with stuff for about 15 minutes (just doing random things like tweaking amp settings, adding other effects, delays etc.) suddenly it starts working as intended. Really inconsistent in how long this takes and the actions I perform in the intermediate period.

Once it's working, I can shut down and restart and that patch works perfectly normally. If I then remove amp 2 and cab 2 and then re-add them the same process occurs again.

Anyone else seen this sort of behaviour in Axe Edit?

(Cygnus latest build btw!)

Hi FAS users/abusers,

I have some weird issues when I'm using dual amp - dual cab setups.
When I build a patch from scratch I add the first amp and cab block and pan it hard left for example, all sounds normal at that point. I then add the second amp and cab and pan it hard right. This second amp and cab sounds VERY strange, like partially clean/bypassed (loud) with a background fizz of amp distortion (very quiet).

I have then found if I mess around with stuff for about 15 minutes (just doing random things like tweaking amp settings, adding other effects, delays etc.) suddenly it starts working as intended. Really inconsistent in how long this takes and the actions I perform in the intermediate period.

Once it's working, I can shut down and restart and that patch works perfectly normally. If I then remove amp 2 and cab 2 and then re-add them the same process occurs again.

Anyone else seen this sort of behaviour in Axe Edit?

(Cygnus latest build btw!)
Save one of the patches right after you create it but before you begin tweaking it, and upload it here.

Last edited:
Sounds like it. I'll get there.
I really recommend Leon Todd’s @2112 online videos through his YouTube channel and on G66.

When I was contemplating getting the AxeFX he basically helped me make the decision and has been an invaluable resource for me over the last couple years with all the content he puts out.

As someone who knew little about guitar modelers until my AxeFX purchase 2+ years ago I know how overwhelming it can be but it is possible to become proficient if you take the time.

If an “IR” is foreign to you like another language I would recommend just messing with the presets to have fun before you start trying to build your own preset, especially something more complex like a dual amp setup.

There is a lot of basic knowledge you have to comprehend in order to make your experience an enjoyable one.

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom