dual amps no gap

Randalljax

Axe-Master
Jut trying to wrap my head around this as I am programming so we have 2 amp blocks and 8 channels
just trying to figure out how to get the gapless switching , it is my understanding that switching channels will incur a gap minor but still a gap where as switching blocks will be instant

so would it be best then to set up 4 amps lets say and have those exact four amps be copied into the second amp block
that way you would always be landing on the second amp block

so Clean , Classic hi gain , Modern Hi gain , Lead

same setting on both blocks would that in essence be gap from. on those four models

If you change channels on either amp block, you'll still likely get a small gap. If you're using scenes to do the switching, the channel and block bypass state changes will happen very quickly and close together, so you'll likely still hear a small gap depending on which operation is handled first (probably bypass).

If you change channels manually on the inactive amp block before switching blocks, you could do it, but it will take some tap dancing to get it right between multiple channels.

Staying on the same channel on both blocks during the bypass state change is the only way to get totally seamless switching.

and 2 blocks in the chain and 2 volume pedals parallel so you can switch between the 2 amps without a gap ?
look for a dual amp preset.

Jut trying to wrap my head around this as I am programming so we have 2 amp blocks and 8 channels
just trying to figure out how to get the gapless switching , it is my understanding that switching channels will incur a gap minor but still a gap where as switching blocks will be instant

so would it be best then to set up 4 amps lets say and have those exact four amps be copied into the second amp block
that way you would always be landing on the second amp block

so Clean , Classic hi gain , Modern Hi gain , Lead

same setting on both blocks would that in essence be gap from. on those four models
In addition to the answers above, I'll mention that there are 2 amp blocks. That means you are limited to two amp types without channel switching. If you need more variety than that in your amp tone, then you'll need to resort to techniques such as turning on drive blocks, using scene controllers or footswitches to adjust amp parameters, etc.

In addition to the answers above, I'll mention that there are 2 amp blocks. That means you are limited to two amp types without channel switching. If you need more variety than that in your amp tone, then you'll need to resort to techniques such as turning on drive blocks, using scene controllers or footswitches to adjust amp parameters, etc.
what if the amps are on the same channel different Amp block

Amp1: clean Channel A. Amp2: Crnch Channel A
Amp1: Higain Channel B Amp2 Solo channel B

would that still incur a gap ? I know switching from Clean to Hi gain would but switching clean to crunch should not
and going Hi gain to lead would not correct If I change amp blocks and remain on the same channel would that work?

If your goal is to avoid the amp channel switching gap, then you'll need to avoid the use of multiple channels in both amp blocks. Use one block for clean and the other block for higain. If you need two more tones in addition to that, you'll have to use the techniques I mentioned above. For example have a crunch scene which adjusts parameters with scene controllers, or enables a drive (or other) blocks to turn the clean into crunch. And another scene to adjust higain to solo.

Switching between amp types makes the biggest gap between, say JC120 to Marshall to Mesa. Using a mixer block and expression to go between would be the least noticeable way. Multiplexer block is good if you're switching scenes between the amp types. Also note that switching IR's and their settings along with the amp type can contribute as well as delay settings. It almost seems like delay stores some info somehow you'll notice this when changing presets. Even if you have two real amps and an A/B switch its not as seamless as one would think. Tone stack and EQ as well as speaker cabinets has a lot to do with it.

Hmm this makes me wonder If we had a channel controller to modify in the same way you use scene controllers to change settings on a single channel. Twist knobs on same amp on several channels. I don't use channels in that way but might not be a bad idea for those that have to stomp on a bunch of buttons. LOL You kitchen sinkers know who you are.

Biggest keys with drastic tonal changes are: don't let notes ring out while switching and switch right before the beat and not directly on it. Also, keep in mind that if your switches have hold functions assigned in your layouts, they will activate on release, not press. That can sometimes trip people up when trying to time tonal changes during a song.

Even with totally gap free switching, going from a super clean to a super distorted sound or vice versa will always be somewhat jarring unless you crossfade. That's where orchestration comes in to blur the lines.

Multiplexer block is good if you're switching scenes between the amp types.
You can change channels on the Multiplexer without changing scenes, too..
Hmm this makes me wonder If we had a channel controller to modify in the same way you use scene controllers to change settings on a single channel. Twist knobs on same amp on several channels. I don't use channels in that way but might not be a bad idea for those that have to stomp on a bunch of buttons. LOL You kitchen sinkers know who you are.
Modifiers by default apply to all channels of the block. Any controller can already do this unless I'm not understanding what you're suggesting.

You can just use the block bypass for the two amp blocks using either a control switch or using scenes to inversely toggle them. You don't have to use volume blocks. The two blocks will swap states practically instantaneously and there will be no audible gap.

I haven't tried doing gapless switching, but I have found that for me the "gap" doesn't seem to be any longer than switching channels on my amps. I see this a lot about gapless amp switching. I'm just wondering what the context is for needing it. When playing live in my cover band, I haven't noticed a need to have switching be gapless and I've never had anyone complain about it. And I say that not knowing what the needs are, they may be very real, I just don't know what situation you need it for.

You can just use the block bypass for the two amp blocks using either a control switch or using scenes to inversely toggle them. You don't have to use volume blocks. The two blocks will swap states practically instantaneously and there will be no audible gap.
do you have a example preset for this . i still think the 2 vol blocks do a very good job. plus i still can put in another effect with the switch in my mission sp1.

Here's a quick and dirty one that uses scene 1 for a clean Super Reverb and scene 2 for a 100W Jumped Plexi.

Edit: Added the FM9 version converted using FracTool.

Attachments

• Dual Amps No Gap.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Dual Amps No Gap(FM9).syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I haven't tried doing gapless switching, but I have found that for me the "gap" doesn't seem to be any longer than switching channels on my amps. I see this a lot about gapless amp switching. I'm just wondering what the context is for needing it. When playing live in my cover band, I haven't noticed a need to have switching be gapless and I've never had anyone complain about it. And I say that not knowing what the needs are, they may be very real, I just don't know what situation you need it for.
do you just play solo's in your band ? never switch sounds very fast ? solo/rhythm . well i need to change between solo/rhythm all the time very fast .

do you just play solo's in your band ? never switch sounds very fast ? solo/rhythm . well i need to change between solo/rhythm all the time very fast .
No I do not play just solos. I've never had an issue switching. Like I said it didn't seem any slower than on a real amp switching channels. I also didn't say there was anything wrong with wanting gapless switching. I just wondered where it might be needed and you've given me one. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom