Dual Amp - High Gain Tones

Hello guys,

I have an Axe FX II and I'm new with the unit.

Could anyone please guide me on how to use 2 amps together for a high gain patch effectively?

I tried using 2 amps into 2 different cabs and then mixed together and I've also tried using 2 amps into 1 cab but it still didn't sound nice at all. It sounded like it was having some serious phase issues.

I would appreciate it if anyone could help! Thanks!

I use two separate amp and cab blocks in independent signal chains, that go to the output separately and don't merge them back together. Once I have the tones dialed in and the volume balanced out, I go into the cab blocks and pan them hard left and hard right.

Can you do each amp into it's own cab but combine them after the cab? I don't typically run stereo so that is the reason why I would want to do this. Also, If I want to run both amps into the effects loop for output to a typical guitar cab, how would I do that? Sorry don't mean to steal the thread from the OP but I think it would help us both to fully understand this.

What are you trying to achieve with a dual amp setup that you can't get with one amp/cab? Phase issues are always going to be there if the 2+ IR's don't pair well, if I do use 2 it'll either be from the same IR pack or of the same speaker/cab

You can also use the delay parameter in the cab block to create a tiny offset (0.001 ms resolution) between two cabs. It can help deal with phase issues between cabs that don't get along normally or even create phase interaction for specific sounds.

Try the above micro-delay tricks for phasing. But for high-gain tones, I tend to like the following approaches:
1) Totally different amps - one for good lows, without much high-end going on, and one for good highs, a bit of sparkle and clarity, and anaemic bass.
Together they round out a full signal, and give a sort of scooped mids feel without actually lacking midrange presence.

2) One amp with a good tone, always with a pre-EQ boosting mids and high-passing, and two different cabs. I actually find this technique works better. Try mixing a V30 Marshall sort of cab for the body of the tone, with a Mesa cab for the character of the tone. Great mix.

Yeah, there's also the crossover block for that kind of thing too. I remember reading somewhere that Adam Jones of Tool did something similar to get his huge sound. Marshall Plexi Super Bass for highs and mids and a Diezel or Dual Rectifier for lows I think.

Back
Top Bottom