Dual Amp Experiment

mattgreenrocks

Inspired
I've been tone chasing Muse's Stockholm Syndrome's tone a bit. It's absolutely huge live, and I think that comes down to the blending of two amps: a Diezel VH4 (probably ch4) and an AC30 or a 1959. The latter provides additional saturation, and the Diezel gives it muscle.

The FM3 only allows one amp block, but I've been experimenting with trying to simulate the second amp well enough to add saturation. The attached preset is a stripped down Dizzy VH4 factory preset with the following changes:
  • Amp block: changed impedence curve to 5153, and added speaker drive/thump/compression
  • Cab block: cab preamp set to FET 1 with a bit of drive to simulate an isolation cabinet.
  • A series of blocks running in parallel that simulate an amp + cab: Box o' Crunch drive into a Filter + GEQ. (Simulated cab how-to by Cliff).
After lots of twiddling with the level knobs, this definitely adds a bit more flavor to the dry tone. Big question is whether it is appreciably different from simply using an additional drive block.

I've attached the preset if you'd like to play with it. It's by no means done, but I'm happy enough with the result for now. Note that it is a high gain tone but this is probably possible with mid-gain amps as well. Let me know what you think, and if you've done anything similar.

(I noticed someone else posted a dual amp preset as well, ha!)

Attachments

• Dual Amp Experiments.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 30
Back
Top Bottom