Drummers respond!

electronpirate

Axe-Master
So...I'm bored to tears.

Just received a Mandolin. Actually having fun with it (I have no desire to be a virtuoso on it, but I'll study up on a bunch of chords so it's something I can pull out as an option.) A few video lessons and it doesn't sound half bad. Struggling with those small frets, but adjusting.

But in a fit of spontaneity, I bought a small drum set. I've always wanted to play, and now would be the operative time to do those 'bucket list' sort of things. Unfortunately, I didn't really plan this out well. A bare bones kit (see the picture.) I won't really even know how to put all of this together...that is actually part of the fun.

I'll still need to get cymbals, saddle...etc (snare stand, hi hat stand, tom mounting all supposed to be included.) It's a work in progress.

My question would be online resources for the basics. Of course I'd get the most bang for the buck with in person...but that just ain't happening these days.

But hey...new adventures.

R

1587259109558.png

Hey Hey,
Drummer here. I can recommend some resources, but first I want to gauge, what is your level of ability?

Basically rank beginner. I've played a little, but in every band, it's easy to find drummers, but keys/guitar/vocals are more of a critical need, so I ended up there each time (basically taking the role of 'whatever we're missing'...)

check the Drumeo youtube channel. pretty sure they have basics stuff.

yamaha kits are great! put the pole thingie in the bass drum and put the small pole thingies in the tom thingies ;)

one tip for starting out - don't feel bad putting things "too high" at first. many put drums very low and it screws up their sitting posture and form bad habits hitting so low. case in point, the Black Keys drummer:

that's way too low to be comfortable!

yamaha kits are great! put the pole thingie in the bass drum and put the small pole thingies in the tom thingies ;)

Ha!

Yes, I actually remember helping our drummer throw it together in 3 minutes (nothing like forgetting our start time was 8, not 9), can't even recall everything I did, but I can say it didn't come apart...for the 1st set.

Basically rank beginner. I've played a little, but in every band, it's easy to find drummers, but keys/guitar/vocals are more of a critical need, so I ended up there each time (basically taking the role of 'whatever we're missing'...)

If you can play a basic pop-rock groove and maybe a 16th note around the world dubba dubba dubba dubba crash fill I would check out mikeslessons.com.

many put drums very low and it screws up their sitting posture and form bad habits hitting so low. case in point, the Black Keys drummer:

It's a personal preference thing though, right?
Carney must obviously like his setup because it's been like that for years and he could have made adjustments
at any time if he found it uncomfortable - especially once they started doing full shows/tours.

In the early days of rock, drummers found that setting their drums lower allowed them to play louder.

Case in point, Mitch Mitchell.
Bd6m-HhLt35fCCM9llPEqjNzheGOvDLcboIMSxhEiSHENFK5xscvXRx54NEQq6VjsAA86WifMfacOZ29GUnYFa0UJ7hE_iQoyDqnCbnJKe4_Zw

In the early days of rock, drummers found that setting their drums lower allowed them to play louder.

All the more reason to set your kit high as a beginner. The world does not need yet another caveman drummer who forces the rest of the band to crank their amps to ear bleeding level. It's not the 1960's anymore, we have stage monitors and PA systems now.

It's a personal preference thing though, right?
Carney must obviously like his setup because it's been like that for years and he could have made adjustments
at any time if he found it uncomfortable - especially once they started doing full shows/tours.

Case in point, Mitch Mitchell.
Bd6m-HhLt35fCCM9llPEqjNzheGOvDLcboIMSxhEiSHENFK5xscvXRx54NEQq6VjsAA86WifMfacOZ29GUnYFa0UJ7hE_iQoyDqnCbnJKe4_Zw
That setup is much higher than the black keys.

On behalf of John Bonham, I apologize.

John Bonham played stadiums in the 60's and 70's with shitty PA's while his guitar and bass players had whole walls of Marshall stacks. You don't. What he did was necessity. It no longer is. Do not learn wrong behaviors or you will have volume wars in your band. And war in a band is bad.

one tip for starting out - don't feel bad putting things "too high" at first. many put drums very low and it screws up their sitting posture and form bad habits hitting so low. case in point, the Black Keys drummer:

Drummers set up the way that is comfortable for them just like some guitar or bass players have their guitars hanging down at their knees, some have them way up on they chests. It's an individual choice & there is no one size fits all approach that works for everyone. A prime example is Sandy McKee from Cold Blood. He had one of the most unique set ups for his drums but he played his a$$ off!
Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 11.39.53 AM.png

Please continue to critique my suggestion based on 20+ years of drumming and teaching experience. Even through PMs...

I’m suggesting something to someone starting out so they don’t create bad habits, based on personal experience helping others in person who have done exactly that. setup too low, create a back and muscle issue, and not be able to change after years of doing it that way.

Of COURSE people do things that are comfortable but you may not know what comfortable is when you’re starting.

the black keys setup is not from comfort. he’s a very tall guy with the snare below his knees. many setup low for mic placement. I’m sure he has back issues from hunching like that to reach everything but habit prevents him from playing well with things higher.

I’m done here. Jeez can’t talk about anything without getting called out like people have a stake in something, from those who didn't offer any suggestions or help to the thread. this happens here constantly. people don't offer anything but are ready to criticize what others write.

i apologize for suggesting to not set up too low. go ahead. others do it and it's clearly not an issue.

Last edited:
Please continue to critique my suggestion based on 20+ years of drumming and teaching experience. Even through PMs...

I’m suggesting something to someone starting out so they don’t create bad habits.

Of COURSE people do things that are comfortable but you may not know what comfortable is when you’re starting.

the black keys setup is not from comfort. he’s a very tall guy with the snare below his knees. many setup low for mic placement. I’m sure he has back issues from hunching like that to reach everything but habit prevents him from playing well with things higher.

I’m done here. Jeez can’t talk about anything without getting called out.
But it's OK for you to "call me & others out" right??? Just giving opinions & examples of other ways to do things than what "you" think is right. So much for free discussion I guess LMAO! All I'm saying to any player is find what works for you.

Um. Can we not make this thread about you guys arguing?

I've noted the advice here. But I am considering a virtual lesson or 2 to start. I would prefer (as Chris mentioned) to get good habits early. From all the other instruments I play, I realize that getting started correctly is a big deal. You can find out what works for you as far as adjustments later...

R

Um. Can we not make this thread about you guys arguing?
I've noted the advice here. But I am considering a virtual lesson or 2 to start. I would prefer (as Chris mentioned) to get good habits early.

Arguing infers people being angry. I don't think anyone is angry. Chris seems upset that other's have differing opinions. That's not arguing.
Re: good habits early? Learn from the guy on the left - but don't have your drums low like the guy on the right.

Wait. What?
:smile::smile::smile:

o4jf2sb.jpg

Best piece of advice for a new drummer? Start with a traditional grip and not the easier 'rock' grip.
Took Rush a bunch of platinum albums before Neil Peart went back to basics.

Never mind. His drums are too low too. :smilecat:

Back
Top Bottom