Drive Section Sounds harsh

HansiLP

Hello from Hamburg/Germany. Im new to the FX8 . Im comming from an regular Pedalboard and now i just changed to an new FX8 MKII . Now my question about the Driveblock. Im using the FX8 in the 4CM with an H&K Tubemeister 36 with TAD Tubes . For my Ears all the Drives are sounding a little fizzy and harsh. And at least im missing the low End in the Driveblocks . I played around with the Input Impendance and tweaked the Lowcut / Highcut changes. Hard anyone the same Problems or an solution.

Cheers Hansi

Try not using 4cm. I have found everything sound better right in the preamp. All blocks in series. Which was a bit weird to experience because i bought the fx8 for being able to use stereo 4cm.

I‘ve tried with Input Impendance in every direction. Especially i love the Dallas Fuzz with an Strat and set the Impendance to 230+Cap

I think a Part of the Problem might be the Tubemeister Amp . I beliebe the Tubemeister does not work very well with Pedals or FX8 , especially with Pedals in Front of the Amp !

I‘ve tried with Input Impendance in every direction. Especially i love the Dallas Fuzz with an Strat and set the Impendance to 230+Cap

I think a Part of the Problem might be the Tubemeister Amp . I beliebe the Tubemeister does not work very well with Pedals or FX8 , especially with Pedals in Front of the Amp !
I doubt that. I had a Tm36 which I used with a gsystem and an OCD in the pre-amp. In theory auto input impedance would fix all your issues. The fx8 is a g-system with serious upgrades in my opinion. But hey if it doesnt work for you...too bad.

are you using a volume pedal ? I discovered last night that using a global volume pedal is a total tone suck .
If I build it into each preset it works great but as a global volume it sucks .

are you using a volume pedal ? I discovered last night that using a global volume pedal is a total tone suck .
Are you using the global volume set to Pre? If so, just like a real pedal, it will change the Gain going into your drives. This is digital - there is no tone suck. Set your global volume as Post and you’ll simply change the volume, not gain.

Are you using the global volume set to Pre? If so, just like a real pedal, it will change the Gain going into your drives. This is digital - there is no tone suck. Set your global volume as Post and you’ll simply change the volume, not gain.

Where do I do that ? I set it up per the instruction manual on page 89 "Global Volume pedal setup"
I put the pedal on the input volume, after noticing the tone suck I tried both the out put volumes and it didn't do anything.

Where do I do that ? I set it up per the instruction manual on page 89 "Global Volume pedal setup"
I put the pedal on the input volume, after noticing the tone suck I tried both the out put volumes and it didn't do anything.
it's because you put it on the Input Volume. that changes the input to the Drive pedals and everything else, which changes tone.

it definitely should work when you use either of the Output Volumes - the one you use depends one what physical output jacks you use, pre or post. Most set it to Pre, so the effects they put in Post - typically Delay and Reverb - are not turned down and can fade out on their own.

be sure you unassigned INPUT when you tested the Output parameters for Global Volume.

I have the same issue, I have the location set to IN 2 POST VOLUME. I wouldn't call it tone suck though just slightly lower volume from what I've experienced. Using a Volume block does work as it should, but for some reason there seems to be an issue with the Global volume not recognizing or using the pedal calibration. I finally contacted Fractal support after a couple of weeks trying to figure it out. After a phone troubleshooting session I was told it wasn't the FX8, I simply didn't know how to use my pedal and didn't realize it wasn't completely in the toe-down position. I gave up after that and just added 2-3 dB gain in the Post Global EQ to reach unity volume with the True Bypass signal.

How are you connecting to your amp? The OUT 2 POST will need to be connected to the amp in order for the Global volume to work set to either IN 2 POST VOLUME or OUT 2 POST VOLUME.

I'm a moron , I was on the ax8 forum and looking at the ax8 manual because I was thinking of swapping my fx8 for and AX8 and when I came on this thread I completely forgot I was on the AX8 forum not the FX8 forum.
My issue with the tone suck was with the FX8 , I didn't get a chance to go back and retry the global volume again but if I still have trouble with it I will post in the proper forum . Sorry

I'm a moron , I was on the ax8 forum and looking at the ax8 manual because I was thinking of swapping my fx8 for and AX8 and when I came on this thread I completely forgot I was on the AX8 forum not the FX8 forum.
My issue with the tone suck was with the FX8 , I didn't get a chance to go back and retry the global volume again but if I still have trouble with it I will post in the proper forum . Sorry
This is an FX8 thread. Maybe you are in the right place?

How are you connecting to your amp? The OUT 2 POST will need to be connected to the amp in order for the Global volume to work set to either IN 2 POST VOLUME or OUT 2 POST VOLUME.

I'm using the 4 cable method so the OUT POST is my effects return which should put the volume pedal in the loop which is where I want it.

Try not using 4cm. I have found everything sound better right in the preamp. All blocks in series. Which was a bit weird to experience because i bought the fx8 for being able to use stereo 4cm.
then there was an issue somewhere or your fx loop didn't play well the FX8, it wasn't the FX8.

I'm using the 4 cable method so the OUT POST is my effects return which should put the volume pedal in the loop which is where I want it.
Don't know what to say, doesn't make sense that it doesn't work. For troubleshooting sake, use a patch cable and connect OUT 1 PRE Left into IN 2 POST Left, then connect OUT 2 POST Left into the front of your amp. Set the Global volume to either IN 2 POST VOLUME or OUT 2 POST VOLUME and see if the volume works in this configuration.

Don't know what to say, doesn't make sense that it doesn't work. For troubleshooting sake, use a patch cable and connect OUT 1 PRE Left into IN 2 POST Left, then connect OUT 2 POST Left into the front of your amp. Set the Global volume to either IN 2 POST VOLUME or OUT 2 POST VOLUME and see if the volume works in this configuration.

I tried it again and it works but I have to restart the unit to get it to work . Also when I put it on "in 2 post" it still sucks tone "out 2 post" is the only place I can put it where it doesn't suck tone

I tried it again and it works but I have to restart the unit to get it to work . Also when I put it on "in 2 post" it still sucks tone "out 2 post" is the only place I can put it where it doesn't suck tone
I would contact Fractal support, I haven't needed to restart either the FX8 or AX8 when trying different physical cable/pedal configurations.

So Folks . A short Feedback. First ive gut to say, that my Problem is solved .
It was really the Amp . The shitty Tubemeister doesnt work well with the FX 8 . I swapped over to an Boogie Lonestar Special. And now there are no harsh Sounds . I had to set the everything on the Tonecontrols in the FX8 Edit to zero and it works really really awesome!!

So the Tubemeister doesnt really work with FX8

Back
Top Bottom