Drive pedals

LoPaN

Inspired
Hi

So never used an external drive pedal with my axe, to be honest the internal pedals sound awesome. But I'm really liking the sound of the jhs Andy Timmon's pedal, well from what I've heard via reviews.
So my question is if I purchase one and plug it into the front input do I have to adjust the input level on the Axe? I'd hate to have to keep adjusting the level when I'm not running the pedal.

Thanks
Alan

Not if you set it for unity volume (+/- a few db).. the only time I find that to be an issue is if I'm using a drive pedal (in front of the Axe) as a more of a straight clean boost to really push the front end of the amp model. Even then, it (Axe input) tends to handle some amount of push above unity volume very well. Just depends on how hard you set the pedal to smack the front end. That AT pedal seems to be more of an "amp in a box" type of pedal rather than a boost, although I'm sure it could be used either way.

I have one. It sounds great through my 5150-3 head and cab. I tried it into my Axe-FX2. I wasn't able to get it to sound as good as it did through the 5150, or as good as the Axe-FX2 itself. Although, I didnt spend a lot of time. You need a fairly clean base sound.

I personally haven't had much luck with external drive pedals running in front of the Axe-Fx. I was holding on to one of my personal fuzz pedals because the Axe-Fx's fuzz models are not that great, IMHO. However, I've finally ditched it and just embraced what's in the Axe-Fx because it did sound different in front of a physical amp and also for a cleaner workflow.

Anyway, I'm not sure if that helped you or not. You could buy from a place that offers returns and try it out on your rig. That's the only way that you're gonna know if you like it or not.

The only pedal i didn't sell when i got my axefx was my wampler dual fusion, and i only use one side of it. Such an awesome mid boost pedal. especially with my g&L s-500

I think your better off using the AxeFx drive sims instead of external pedals with the AxeFx. Now for tube amps I use external pedals on their inputs and run the AxeFx in the amps effect loop. works perfectly!

Last edited:
After being unhappy with the stock drive pedals, I pulled out my Maxon TS808 and plugged that in.

I'm getting waaaayyy better sounds with that than what I was with the AFX 808. I'm going to post up the results soon.

I don't use Fuzz so I can't comment there. However I would recommend running OD into the front of the AFX rather than using on-board OD.

After being unhappy with the stock drive pedals, I pulled out my Maxon TS808 and plugged that in.

I'm getting waaaayyy better sounds with that than what I was with the AFX 808. I'm going to post up the results soon.

I don't use Fuzz so I can't comment there. However I would recommend running OD into the front of the AFX rather than using on-board OD.

Are you using a real amp and cab or are you pure AXE FX AMP and CAB sims? And, are you just running the pedal into the front of the AXE after your guitar?

since the (if memory serves) the front input is designed to interact with your guitar, i wonder if better results would be had with the rear input when using real pedals?

I use only one pedal front of Axe FX II XL+ and that pedal is TC Electronic Nova drive.
Works very fine and sounds great. Also using Axes own drive effects.
I havent tried Nove drive in Axes Effect Send / Return, maybe one day I do it.

Back
Top Bottom