Dream Theater - Count of Tuscany Intro

unscarred

Experienced
I'm a big DT and Petrucci fan but can only play the easy JP solos. :tearsofjoy:

Anyways, here's my attempt on the Count of Tuscany intro.

Edit: I noticed it’s out of tune on the harmony part. I copied and used the pitch shift harmony in cubase for that part and didn’t care to mess with the notes. Oh well 😆

Here's the preset for those interested. I used a 3rd party irs but but chose a couple of factory irs that sounded close to my ears.

Attachments

• [JE] JP LEAD.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Finally had a chance to give this a go. Swapped in the Mesa Slant Dynacab and did a few minor tweaks to the mark eq for the high frequencies. Sounded good with a JP6. Thanks for sharing.

Would love to try your preset🙂
I copied your settings into an amp block for a new template I'm working on. It is scene 5. I'm using maple necks/fingerboards, so I tamed the highs. I'd love your take on scene 2 which is the rhythm stuff I'm been tweaking. I play low volumes through studio monitors so the output block is set to -7 or -8 if it is too quiet.

Attachments

• New Template Try.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 20
I copied your settings into an amp block for a new template I'm working on. It is scene 5. I'm using maple necks/fingerboards, so I tamed the highs. I'd love your take on scene 2 which is the rhythm stuff I'm been tweaking. I play low volumes through studio monitors so the output block is set to -7 or -8 if it is too quiet.
I’ll check it out when i get chance. Thabks for sharing!

I'm a big DT and Petrucci fan but can only play the easy JP solos. :tearsofjoy:

Anyways, here's my attempt on the Count of Tuscany intro.

Edit: I noticed it’s out of tune on the harmony part. I copied and used the pitch shift harmony in cubase for that part and didn’t care to mess with the notes. Oh well 😆

Here's the preset for those interested. I used a 3rd party irs but but chose a couple of factory irs that sounded close to my ears.

Any chance you might want to share what ir's you used in your original preset? Just curious, in case we have the ir's, we could try your preset even more like yours. Either way, thanks again for sharing your preset. I've been enjoying it this evening. Cheers, Lee

Any chance you might want to share what ir's you used in your original preset? Just curious, in case we have the ir's, we could try your preset even more like yours. Either way, thanks again for sharing your preset. I've been enjoying it this evening. Cheers, Lee
I used the JP and Fred Mix irs panned hard left and right from York Audio’s Mesa 413 OS IR pack.

Oh, forgot to ask. The scenes 1, 4, 5 & 8 seem to have the FAS Lead 1 amp, which I was wondering if that was your actual intention, or if there was a different amp you are choosing for the clean scenes? Or maybe you only had the Clean monikers in the scenes, as place holders, in case you decided to dive into more than just the Lead tonality? No worries, just curious if I might change mine to replicate something you'd already sussed out.
Lee

Oh, forgot to ask. The scenes 1, 4, 5 & 8 seem to have the FAS Lead 1 amp, which I was wondering if that was your actual intention, or if there was a different amp you are choosing for the clean scenes? Or maybe you only had the Clean monikers in the scenes, as place holders, in case you decided to dive into more than just the Lead tonality? No worries, just curious if I might change mine to replicate something you'd already sussed out.
Lee
Don’t mind the other scenes. Sometimes, i would just try and compare tones with different amp models.

That's great! I'm also a huge JP fan, in all his projects, and this is a song I've also worked on, and can pretty much play that intro. Your vid inspired me to revisit it, and I'd just need to focus on it for a bit and clean it up a little to get it. All of his solos have something challenging in them, whether it's the way he slides into his notes, or the ripping sextuplets, Blazing 32nd notes, or just bouncing along on only 1 string, carving a melody using the open notes mixed in with a syncopated beat..., I love it ALL!

Have you worked on the final solo at all? That ending sextuplet portion is pure gold! I haven't yet settled on which position(s) to play it in, so if you've played around with it, I'd be interested in your thoughts. I think JP does a slide into the 23rd fret on the 1st string, from a lower position, but I start that section on the 6th string, 19th fret, and play thru the arpeggios from there. Which involves my weakest technique- 1 n.p.s riffs! Lol

That's great! I'm also a huge JP fan, in all his projects, and this is a song I've also worked on, and can pretty much play that intro. Your vid inspired me to revisit it, and I'd just need to focus on it for a bit and clean it up a little to get it. All of his solos have something challenging in them, whether it's the way he slides into his notes, or the ripping sextuplets, Blazing 32nd notes, or just bouncing along on only 1 string, carving a melody using the open notes mixed in with a syncopated beat..., I love it ALL!

Have you worked on the final solo at all? That ending sextuplet portion is pure gold! I haven't yet settled on which position(s) to play it in, so if you've played around with it, I'd be interested in your thoughts. I think JP does a slide into the 23rd fret on the 1st string, from a lower position, but I start that section on the 6th string, 19th fret, and play thru the arpeggios from there. Which involves my weakest technique- 1 n.p.s riffs! Lol
I never really learned or attempted to play the epic final solo of this song lol. I’ll try to listen to it again later and and see what you’re talking about.

I used the JP and Fred Mix irs panned hard left and right from York Audio’s Mesa 413 OS IR pack.
I finally had a few moments to load the two York IRs you listed above. I am enjoying the sound both with the ones you used in the shared preset, so no one was required to purchase any IRs, as well as with the York IRs.

Thanks again for sharing your preset, as I’m getting some great tones using scene3!
Lee

Back
Top Bottom