Dream Theater - As I Am

Sounds decent. I think it would sound even better, if you tuned the guitar a whole step lower, like the original recording. ;)

Hmmmm...One of my all time favorite CDs, I'l have to look at your patch tonight when I get home.
it sounds too boxy compared to the Original, what amp model did you use?
It's interesting I bought a bunch of Cab IR's from OH and it's amazing what a drastic difference each one of them makes on the end result
(never mind adding a mic and then going thru all the different mics) could be the Cab you picked.
You are on the right path, we can make this better though, I'm interested in nailing this tone too so thanks for posting it up.

@Sebastian : sorry but tuning down a FloyRose is so painful i'll stay in B ;)
@kmanick : i used the usa lead 1 model and the "4x12 V30" stock cab.

I agree it's not exactly the same but that's the closer sound i got after some hours... gotta tweak it again ;)

@kmanick : i used the usa lead 1 model and the "4x12 V30" stock cab.

I agree it's not exactly the same but that's the closer sound i got after some hours... gotta tweak it again ;)

that CD is Road King so I'd try the Recto New Red instead of the Mark IV model.
I'd also try mixing the RW recto cab and the cali cab with the R121 mic on the cali cab. That combo seems to wrok well with the mesa models.
I'd keep the patch it's a good sound it's just not a perfect "TOT" sound..........................................yet :)

Hm... now I'm intrigued, I'm going to work on this tonight, I love that CD and I like his "Glass Prison" tone which I believe is basically the same rig
as is most of Suspended Animation.

Last edited:

If you have any CPU left over, put a pitch block in front and lower it -2 .... I use it in standard tuning to bounce between E & Eb, it works great ....

does the pitch block go up as well???
this would be a great thing for me to use as I have 1 7 tuned to B and another tuned to B Flat.
being able to bring my BRJ up to C would save me from doing a another setup on my Model 6 to bring it down to C from E Flat.

If you have any CPU left over, put a pitch block in front and lower it -2 .... I use it in standard tuning to bounce between E & Eb, it works great ....
For sure, but last time i tried this trick i found it added latency and strange sounds so i figure it's not like tuning down a whole step my tremolo ;)

started on this last night , going to fine tune it some more tonight
Using New Recto Red into cali cab with R121 and OHRecto V30.
Sounded pretty close, my 7 string has Holy divers in it though and they are very "mid strong" so
I'm trying to fine tune the mids on it, almost there. This backing track would be a better approximation with a bass line, I'm going to see if I can find one
online anywhere so I don't make the guitar more bass heavy than it actually should be.

ok did a little more with this today, it needs some high end "shimmer to it. could be my 7 string, the strings are like 5 months old , very dead.
anyway

here's the patch if you want it, I'm going to work on it some more when I change strings TOT is one of my favorite CDs to jam to so I'll get back to it.
View attachment Train of Thought Recto.syx
oh and does anyone have a good BT for "This Dying Soul"?
I can't find a good one anywhere.

LOL! shit I just listened to the CD I'm not even playing this right LOL!
sorry about that

Last edited:
I tried your preset, kmanick.
I liked it but it was missing some warmth and definition, sounded lo-def to me...
So I totally reworked my preset, this time i tweaked it with petrucci in the ears ;)
I came to a nice sound, not exactly petrucci's but something i prefer, please try it and tell me what you think ;)

Here is the preset :

Last edited:
that sounds pretty good (actually I like it a lot , just listened to it again)thru my headphones here at work, which amp model did you use?
I got new monitors last night and I'm reworking a bunch of my patches (now that I can hear them much clearer) I haven't gotten
around to this one yet but I will.

Sounds decent. I think it would sound even better, if you tuned the guitar a whole step lower, like the original recording. ;)
I think the original is in C tuning (2 steps down). I keep a guitar tuned just for that album. The pitch effect does not do it justice on an E tuned guitar.

oh and does anyone have a good BT for "This Dying Soul"?
I can't find a good one anywhere.
You can get the songs for most of the Train of Thoughts album from extracting the 5.1 audio of the Bodukan concert and skip the guitar track. It has great separation like most of their 5.1 DVDs. There are some tutorials on using an application called DVD audio extractor (http://www.dvdae.com/dvdae/) then you can open the 5.1 audio in the open source Audacity application and mute the tracks you do not want and export as mp3 or whatever format and rock on!

Back
Top Bottom