Drank the Marshall Kool aid

Xrocker

Fractal Fanatic
Well, I never thought I'd be saying this but, I'm loving the 1987x mod!

After nearly a half century of playing electric guitar I found the first Marshall sound I could ever play thanks to 10.03. I owned my first Marshall in the mid 70's. It had one good sound but it had to be hot and turned up to arena volume. I remember wrapping the head in blankets and turning the speaker to face the wall so I could play in clubs. The third time it burned up it actually went up in flames. It was like a precursor to the P.C. I spent all my time working on it and very little time actually using it. I bought my first Mesa Boogie in '78 and thought I died and went to heaven. Suddenly I had 3 really good tones at any volume and the thing never failed me. I've owned Boogies ever since, at least until I got my Ultra, and I have that boogie sound infused in my DNA.

I've had the Ultra for almost 3 years now. I tried all the Marshall sims and they were pretty much as I remembered them. They just didn't feel right to me and had all the wrong frequencies for my ears. I love all the great music made with Marshalls. So many players have done so many great things using them. They just never worked for me. I just couldn't get my fingers and my guitars to come alive like I could with a Boogie.

Last night I spent hours blasting the 1987x mod at stage volume. It was great. Fit in a mix beautifully, had power and clarity. Went to bed thinking my ears were tired. I was probably hallucinating and it would suck in the morning. Fired it up today and I still love it.
I'm stunned but happy. :shock: Maybe next I'll shave my head or become a lawyer or something equally improbable.

Yep, I feel ya. With the right settings it just sounds right.
The Marsha is also quite nice with a Les Paul.

I've been called a lot of things, but I've never been accused of being afraid of using too much gain. :lol:

The Marsha is next on my list of sonic safaris!

Xrocker said:
I've been called a lot of things, but I've never been accused of being afraid of using too much gain. :lol:

The Marsha is next on my list of sonic safaris!
The dynamics on the Marsha are mind boggling. To me, it feels like the king kong of Marshalls -- giant clubbing fists, hairy as hell and roaring into the face of God himself.

Back
Top Bottom