Dr. Z Maz 38, Treble Booster and Telecaster -> Blues

iggypop

Experienced
Sorry for the sloppy playing/mistakes guys, no editing, okay? But I think someone out there might like it tonewise. I know I do :cool:
Gotta love the orgasmic touch responsiveness of this model, great dynamics, and the warm, round, fuzzy quality of the treble boost reminds me of those Jimmy Page tones of old - specially of those ´69 Fillmore bootlegs.

http://soundcloud.com/iggypop77

Details, settings are available on the video below - but youtube audio really sucks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqkYg2FLzUQ

Now, please comment, folks ! Thank you !

I'm not a fan of blues but I this clip is extremely good. A well balanced realistic tone! I'll try that cab selection with metal! :D

brianoc said:
Sounds great! Can you post the patch?

Thanks, Brian! :)

Here´s the preset - but you´ll probably have to tweak it for your touch and guitar... I used low volume settings on the Tele , if that helps...

Attachments

• MAZ38 TB Tele.syx
    2 KB · Views: 73,151
Thank you! I'll check it out. I have a American Deluxe Tele (Ash Body) so we'll see what happens. Thanks again!

Wow that patch sure sounded different with my guitars. I tried it with a tele and volume down and I got somewhat close to your tone. I'm not used to using the volume knob for anything else than an on/off switch for volume so this won't work for me I'm afraid. But hey... that Dr. Z sure has a nice tone... I'll be using that for something.

@ Scott

Thanks, man!

@ Clark Kent

You´d really have to use the volume knob to achieve the subtleties - light and shade. I did not use the volume pot maxed out, otherwise the guitar circuit would´t act as a lowpass filter, and highs can get a little piercing on a Tele :) - plus my guitar doesn´t have the infamous treble bleed cap, I hate´em :x

I agree with you, this Dr. Z amp really kills, man!

Wish Cliff would model some more Z´s in the future!

Thanks for sharing that patch. That's a stellar patch. I haven't been able to coax a sound I liked out of the Maz model until now. I'd just been ignoring it as not for me. But that patch is fun to play.

iaresee said:
Thanks for sharing that patch. That's a stellar patch. I haven't been able to coax a sound I liked out of the Maz model until now. I'd just been ignoring it as not for me. But that patch is fun to play.

Thanks man, it´s cool to know that it was useful to others. I´ve been using it as well as a clean/semi-clean tone with the Tele... Touch the volume pot, and it becomes an angry Telecaster.

As far as EL84 amps go, I actually like it better than the AC30 or Matchless tones... The Z has more "body" to me.

One interesting thing is to experiment with the treble booster lo-cut parameter - originally set at 2kHz, it´s around 350 or 400 Hz here, IIRC. Makes it more versatile. More like a mid-boost, with the cool top end the treble booster provides. Yesterday I tried the Treble Booster pushing the Brownface and 4x12 30w, messing with the lo-cut @700-800Hz... Not quite right yet, but a promising thick lead tone, with the Les Paul.

Excellent, I like it very much... sounds really like "the real thing" and in this kind of music, that means a lot to me... Very dynamic, organic, really really nice... That kind of clip makes me happy to have bought the Axe... :D :D :D

Congratulations! GREAT tone!
I´ll test the patch as soon as possible with my RCF´s.

In portuguese now:

AHA HA!

PARABÉNS!
O cara arregaçou! :lol: Galera pro elogiando!
Lá em casa vou testar com as RCFs, tô no trabalho, cheguei ontem de BH.

One of the quite few occasions where a posted preset sounds great through my own gear, without needing adjustments. Already liked the Dr Z but that Treble Boost is wicked!!

Back
Top Bottom