Down tune using Pitch block

UsrName

Greetings, first time poster here. I am trying to set up some down tune patches for some songs we do Eb and D standard. I have tried the settings posted on the Wiki page, as well as the volume block trick posted by Simeon but I cannot get rid of the latency and artifacts. It just sounds horrible. I tried importing the preset he posted but Ax8 edit raised an error that the firmware was not compatible. I have heard some clips posted that sound very good and I cannot tell it is down tuned at but these people did not post their settings.

Does anyone have a definitive pitch/volume settings list or Ax8 patch they could share. Preferrably one that they have tested live and has worked well? I sold my Digitech drop pedal as I was planning on making use of the pitch block and not have to have any unnecessary pedals. I really don't want to have to buy another.

I have read all the threads about this I could find but I still cannot get it to sound like the clips I have heard posted here. Thanks in advance for any help you guys could give.

I have read all the threads about this I could find but I still cannot get it to sound like the clips I have heard posted here. Thanks in advance for any help you guys could give.

Check this post out:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/pitch-shifting-lower-tuning-patches.128086/#post-1521870

Fixed Harmony at the beginning of your signal chain 100% mixed with a -# cents for mod. IME, there is very little latency with the Pitch block and is pretty good with a 1/2 step lowered shift. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the link! I did happen to find Moke's post, where he actually posted screen shots of his pitch block settings. This got me pretty close to what I was getting with my drop pedal but there is still some higher pitch note artifacts coming through. Kind of hard to explain. Like when I hit a note, especially on the higher strings, you can hear another higher pitched note ringing out too.

How could I minimize or eliminate this more?

Curious on this as well. I have never been satisfied with the pitch drop in the AX8 and have considered getting the Digi Drop.

Yek did mention that low CPU is the key. I will try that out with the linked preset from above and see if that works. I don't need anything crazy just a 1/2 step down for E flat but so far I haven't been able to get it right to my ears.

Tried a preset with nothing but the pitch block, amp, and cab to down tune to C (-4). CPU usage is at 32%. Using the fixed harmony there's no way to achieve an acceptable result. It's not just latency, it's the unstable output with many artifacts and a weird noticable echo (ca. 10-20msec) although the mix is set to 100% wet.

It is crazy to me when I think how impressive the AX8 is and how it completely blows my mind on a daily basis. Cliff and the guys that designed it are in my opinion geniuses in their field of work. OTOH it kinda blows my mind this pitch drop thing is something that to me sticks out like a sore thumb on the unit.

I'm just a guy that plays guitar and I don't pretend to know sh*t that I don't so it may just be a lot more challenging to have something like an effective pitch drop in the unit than what its worth.

I can always buy the Digi Drop and be done with it but to me thats kinda like owning a spaceship but needing to fly commercial to get to Cincinatti.

Thanks for the link! I did happen to find Moke's post, where he actually posted screen shots of his pitch block settings. This got me pretty close to what I was getting with my drop pedal but there is still some higher pitch note artifacts coming through. Kind of hard to explain. Like when I hit a note, especially on the higher strings, you can hear another higher pitched note ringing out too.

How could I minimize or eliminate this more?
Can you direct us all to the post you are referring to so that I can amend any info here?

You need to monitor the preset loud enough as to not hear (acoustically) your guitar at all. If you can here your actual guitar in your hand, even through a headphone cord or guitar strap, it will mess with your head.

It's definitely better on a distorted tone. In isolation, you will always hear some artifacts. But in a 'live band' setting, I honestly forget it's there. Other than the loss of the guitar/speaker coupling. You will loose some sustain and generally need more gain when using it for down-tuning.

Right. From owning the Drop pedal, I am familiar with the volume/guitar acoustic sound you are referring to. Always better up loud so you can't hear the actual strings from the guitar.

It is crazy to me when I think how impressive the AX8 is and how it completely blows my mind on a daily basis. Cliff and the guys that designed it are in my opinion geniuses in their field of work. OTOH it kinda blows my mind this pitch drop thing is something that to me sticks out like a sore thumb on the unit.

I'm just a guy that plays guitar and I don't pretend to know sh*t that I don't so it may just be a lot more challenging to have something like an effective pitch drop in the unit than what its worth.

I can always buy the Digi Drop and be done with it but to me thats kinda like owning a spaceship but needing to fly commercial to get to Cincinatti.

I'm with you. Knowing all the impressive tone acrobatics this thing can do, I assumed I wouldn't have to worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom