Doubled guitar

I posted this same question in a different thread yesterday (no replies). I too did a search and didn't find what I was looking for. I guess I searched for the wrong thing! :) One of the solutions on one of those threads was all about setting it up in stereo, which is something I want to avoid, and taking those solutions and mixing the output to a singly output channel is asking for phase issues.

I have screwed with a chorus in the past, but didn't get results that I liked. I probably dialed it in wrong or whatever.

In the other threads multiple solutions were mentioned, including the wow & flutter (a stereo solution), the detune function of the pitch shifter (which I asked about in my thread), a short delay (which I asked about), and the possibility of running 2 amps in a patch with slightly different sounds, and some sort of combination of everything.

I know I'm going to have to play with these various options to find what I like, but I'd like some guidance if anyone has played around already.

For example:
If I use the pitch detune, should I throw that at the beginning of the chain and then separate wet/dry outputs into 2 amps in the patch, and then merge those two back together at the output? Or is putting it after the amps better? Would it be more effective to run amp->Pitchdetune ->separate into 2 different cabs, then into the mixer to send them out to a single output of the AxeFx? Same question with a delay-based approach, etc.

IOW, I'm wondering what the best, most realistic way to approach this is, from those that have really played around with it.

Again, looking for a mono output from the AxeFx.

brain21 said:
If I use the pitch detune, should I throw that at the beginning of the chain and then separate wet/dry outputs into 2 amps in the patch, and then merge those two back together at the output? Or is putting it after the amps better?

I would try running the pitch detune 100% wet in parallel, adjusting with depth and level to mix the amount you want. Put it parallel to your dry tone and then split each one to its own amp and cab and then mix it back from there into reverb or whatever... I mostly find I like 100% wet pitch effects in parallel before distortion, but as others have found YMMV.

TimmyM

brain21 said:
I posted this same question in a different thread yesterday (no replies). I too did a search and didn't find what I was looking for

There's not much on the web either. I'm thinking of something along the lines of what Zappa did on Shut up & Play your Guitar (Dweezil???). I've been listening the the Dean Brown DBiii live recording, and he uses a doubling effect that you would swear is 2 guitars. I'm sure it is some combo of delay, detune & pan. Let me know if you come up with any good recipes.

Back
Top Bottom