Double sided setup. I need help!

Euji

Hi everyone!

I am using a "double-sided" setup with my AFII right now: I play it through a P.A. (Out1) and through a tube power amp (Out 2).

Since I have a lot of presets created with a P.A. Setup in mind (so poweramp sims on and cab sims activated) and they sound pretty good, I am looking for a routing solution which allows me to keep my presets as they are right now and feed my poweramp (Out 2) with a slightly different signal chain (no poweramp sims and cab) and preventing CPU overload.

Anyone here can help me?

Hi everyone!

I am using a "double-sided" setup with my AFII right now: I play it through a P.A. (Out1) and through a tube power amp (Out 2).

Since I have a lot of presets created with a P.A. Setup in mind (so poweramp sims on and cab sims activated) and they sound pretty good, I am looking for a routing solution which allows me to keep my presets as they are right now and feed my poweramp (Out 2) with a slightly different signal chain (no poweramp sims and cab) and preventing CPU overload.

Anyone here can help me?

The first thought that comes to mind is having to run two amp blocks in each patch. One block with power amp sims, and a cab block that feeds to output 1, then another block that will go to output 2 without power amp sims or cab block.

You could achieve that by placing an fx loop block in front of the 1st amp block, then draw a line down to the next row from the fx loop and into the the 2nd amp block.

I can picture it in my head. I hope my explanation makes sense

@fizz: I thought the same thing when trying to figure out how to achieve what I had in mind, but basicly the problem stands in the CPU usage, in fact I can run out of CPU power quite easily by doubling my chain.

I was looking for something "smarter" for what I need.
BTW thank you very much for your reply!

@AAEN: Sure thing, but I still haven't found what I am looking for on it (no quotes required :D)

the amp and cab blocks don't need to be next to each other and you can still have effects "post" (after the amp, but before the cab). then you can send the same blocks to both the cab block/PA and the guitar amp.

this allows you to build a chain similar to this:

INPUT-drive-amp-delay-reverb-shunt-cab--OUPUT
...........................................\FX LOOP............

the dots are just so the spacing is correct here, they aren't shunts. so basically after your last effect block, put the cab block (there can be shunts in between)
also after your last effect block, in the row above or below, put an FX Loop block and nothing after it, but it cannot be in the last column or it will connect to the output automatically.

or you can put the reverb after the cab (or split to the FX loop from the delay in this example) if you don't want reverb going to your guitar amp output. you can also put something in front of the FX loop on its separate row if you want something to only go to your guitar amp output. etc etc.

yup, just remember to keep that FX Loop out of the last column. if you NEED to, i think you can turn the output or level knob (i forgot which one) down to -80db which is pretty close to muted.

the reason for this is to keep the signal from also going to output 1 again.

Hey Chris -
In your experience, do you find that the tone is different when putting the cab block at the end like this? I had thought that you'd want to mic up the cab (virtually of course), capturing the tone of the cab, and then send THAT tone/signal to the effects. This is where my conventional (lack of) wisdom gets me a little bit confused.
Thanks so much for your help. Your videos are excellent!!!

With the axe, that doesn't matter, unless you use Motor Drive in the cab (which affects the blocks after the cab). So just don't use motor drive and it will sound the same no matter where you put the cab after the amp block.

Hey Chris, I tried out the setup you suggested and worked perfectly.
The only one "bad" thing I can hear when playing through the poweramp is a sort of fizz over a specific amount of frequencies that makes every patch sound similar to each other. And it's something that disappears when activating a CAB block.

Can someone help me?

Back
Top Bottom