Don't hesitate, they were right - RCF NX 12SMA

piofusco

Inspired
Howdy world,

Been checking the Amps and Cabs tab daily to see what the best FRFR option was for the Axe for some time now. From all the information I could gather, the RCF made the most sense: loud, coaxial, lightweight, portable, reputable. Got a great deal from Mike at Audiopyle!

Some comments about the design: very understated, which I like! A very small, but obviously powerful box, the RCF is great for my small bedroom. Easily moveable around and simple to just plug in and play. Had to figure out which settings to use to prevent clipping but all in all very smooth process.

Here is my experience after unboxing: hello mid range! In comparison to my JBL EON, the RCF is on another level (obviously, because of price and quality) - my point is that you truly don't know until you experience the switcheroo. I definitely had my "ahh" moment - I laughed quite a bit. After going back and forth with my JBL, I finally got to work on tweaking some presets. Specifically, what is discussed in the link below

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...e-release-monster-speaker-resonance-page.html

I AB'd before and after and really noticed a difference! Scott Peterson rocks for putting such a page together.

This purchase marks the end of a life long quest. A quest for THE - guitar rig of my dreams. It is with great joy that I declare my quest is complete. I have the rig I have always wanted and will no longer stress over my sound!

Special thanks to Scott Peterson, Simeon, Sean Strickland and all those who posted about the Axe conferences! It made my decision much easier (even though I wish I could have attended one)! AXE FX ALABAMA!

TO THE SHED.....!

The only complaint I have about the NX is that its cover doesn't have a handle for carrying it.

My criticisms of the RCF NX 12SMA are:

• the handle is not ergonomic, it is uncomfortable. You need to use the flat of your hand/fingers to carry it with the built-in handle.
  • the dispersion pattern is very tight; that's both a plus and a minus. Great for personal monitoring (which is the actual purpose it is designed for) but not so much for carrying the room
  • the position of the input is great when using it on the floor; mounted on a stand and it is a minus with the cables all sticking up in the air

But that... is about it. The positives are so overwhelming and the performance (for me) on the gig in real life over an extended period now (close to a year) has been flawless and very satisfying. I've yet to hear a speaker that is a better overall package for less than $3000 ea USD. Some are closer than others and there are better speakers, but they cost a lot of money.

the dispersion pattern is very tight; that's both a plus and a minus. Great for personal monitoring (which is the actual purpose it is designed for) but not so much for carrying the room

How would one RCF go at providing enough stage sound for the rest of the band? Would it be better or worse coverage than a guitar cab?

If I'm reading correctly that you are both in Melbourne and have the aforementioned RCF, can I ask where you got it and how much you paid?

Yeah sure though i'm not sure that im allowed to post prices here or pm you?. I ended up getting it from mike as well from audio pyle. I couldn't find anyone in Australia that had it really only the nx10. best thing is to email mike?

I'm in Fairfield. I don't have one yet, though. I spoke with Bishop Audio and Lighting in Geelong and got a decent quote, but will have to try audio pyle. Can anyone give me an idea of the dispersion characteristics with regard to providing guitar sound for the whole band (monitor pointing at my head from side of stage perhaps...)

Well, I borrowed an NX12sma again this past weekend.
Compared to my Verve (which I always use with Merlin's Verve IR Correction), the RCF sounded really nice.
As generic as this sounds, it was clearer on the top end and overall just smoother tone.....cleaner, clearer and more distinguished in the "stage mix". (and of course I was able to eliminate the Correction IR, which gives me some CPU power back)
I could hear myself perfectly, loved the tone, wasn't competing as much as I usually am for stage volume, and I was not annoying anyone because I was too loud or overbearing.

I'm still really wanting to hear some of the other potential options (Matrix, XiTone and Atomic CLR)....but until I can get my ears on one of those....I had to order an RCF.
So ordered one from Mike Pyle.

Regarding the question about carrying the room, it really depends on how you use it. As Scott P noted, it has a tight dispersion pattern which is what it's designed to do. When it's pointed at my head, it's amazing. It's balanced, loud as hell if needed and doesn't have any excess or lack of frequencies I need. If it's pointed out at the crowd, it might be loud enough and do the trick for you, but it really depends on what you need. If I put it on one end and point it out, it can be loud enough in a small/med space. The problem is that I don't hear it enough then. I think if I put if on something about waist high, that might be a decent compromise. Unfortunately some of the stages I've played on lately have been really small, so even though I have 2 and could use the 2nd for either audience or side wash for band, the spaces have been too small for it. I'm still working on achieving a happy medium of my hearing it while using it as backline, but they sound so good that I'm willing to experiment some more until I figure something out.

Last edited:
I'm in Fairfield. I don't have one yet, though. I spoke with Bishop Audio and Lighting in Geelong and got a decent quote, but will have to try audio pyle. Can anyone give me an idea of the dispersion characteristics with regard to providing guitar sound for the whole band (monitor pointing at my head from side of stage perhaps...)

How would one RCF go at providing enough stage sound for the rest of the band? Would it be better or worse coverage than a guitar cab?

I primarily look to use the RCF as a sidewash shooting across the stage. That way everyone - including me - can hear it fine but it does not get into the vocal mic's or screw up the stage volume.

Here's a pic of how I prefer to run it:

665515_10151271475938554_2009993010_o.jpg

2012-10-20_23-45-09_484.jpg

Or look at this shot to see it more clearly from an outdoor gig:

2012-08-26_16-21-12_347.jpg

205996_10151382759669502_346820247_n.jpg

It is loud enough to carry many rooms; but it is a total of a 60 degree dispersion cone; that's 30 degrees either side of the center axis from the speaker. That's *tight*; and may or may not make it ideal for carrying the room as a back line depending on many factors but mostly dependent on the room... of course. :D

What would be the normal dispersion cone angle of a 1x12 cab loaded with an average guitar speaker?

Thanks guys, I don't plan to carry the room with it, just the stage! There is always FOH.

Scott, pics look great - that's probably how I'd use it. Thanks for the photos and for being super helpful as always.

Yes, Is the 60 degree thing better or worse than a guitar cab?

Trigger finger getting itchy...

Add me to the list of converts as well.
I got a 12 from Mike Pyle last Friday (he was awesome and got it to me almost overnight)
I wanted to give it a decent test drive before commenting on it.
It smokes the other FRFR solutions I've tried. The clarity is unreal , the top end is not harsh, and it sounds
amazingly good at even the lowest of volumes (making late night practice sessions a real treat)
I dialed in a patch tonight with the Atomica Hi and one of the OH beta IRs sm-57 f6...................................instant Eargasm.
sounds huge an punchy. Crank it up and it gets even better. The only drawback I've found so far is that it is a very directional cab
but I wedged a lift under the back of it to lower the angle so I can stand back away from it and hear it better.
I've been going back and forth between the RCF and my real cabs quite a bit for the last 5 days.
I need to sell all of my 'regular" cabs and get the wifey used to the idea of "2 of them" in the house.
No contest.
I can't even imagine how good 2 of these would sound.
Oh and the 12 is very managable at low volumes (it actually sounds great at talking volume, a huge +)
I wouldn't hesitate to go with the 12 over the 10, especially if you play 7's or 8's.
If you're thinking about FRFR and can swing it, IMO this is the way to go.

The only drawback I've found so far is that it is a very directional cab
but I wedged a lift under the back of it to lower the angle so I can stand back away from it and hear it better.
I've been going back and forth between the RCF and my real cabs quite a bit for the last 5 days.

Flip it over....still angled, but a steeper pitch....

Back
Top Bottom