Does the Axe FX come with Pro Tools?

Dont do pro tools. I did gor years,then ibupdstrd my pc, and had to do the same with pt. Tried reaper for next to nothing, and its so so similar. Ok, some functions arnt thete, but there not functions most will use.

Basically, buying 11r and gcp seperatley then getting reaper will be 100 less than the bundle. Its actually costing you money as you dont actuslly need pt at all.

If you want to try the 11R, I would get one used. They're absolutely everywhere for about $300. I've tried using Pro Tools on multiple occasions and I've never had a good time. It's like they tried their hardest to make everything super difficult to perform, find, and understand. I use Studio One 2.6 and it's absolutely the easiest while still powerful DAW I've used. I really, really don't understand why people want to use an overcomplicated confusing mess like PT. I did a session on PT a while back and I couldn't for the life of me figure out to export to .wav. I had to look it up online. How ridiculous is that?

I tried Pro Tools and never liked it. I know guys that are making great sounding tracks with free DAW software (Reaper). If you feel like the 11R is a compromise relative to the Axe Fx, then don't make that compromise.

If you don't have an interface, I would look into the smallest Presonus interface you can get away with and start with the "Artist" tier of their Studio One software, which ships with all of their interfaces. There are 3 or 4 tiers, so you can upgrade as your need for more features grows. Not to mention, they give you multiple licenses when you pay for the software so you can run it on your main workstation and a laptop, etc.

Nope! Just wondering. So stoked to get the axe, but I'm already spending 2k with the Eleven Rack bundle and an Atomic CLR active cab. Now I just need to make another 1k, sell the eleven rack, and I'll be set!!

This is a terrible financial plan. Why would you buy something if you intend to sell it immediately?

As someone who sells music gear on Craigslist pretty frequently, I can tell you that you'll never sell something for the price you paid for it. By buying the 11 Rack at full price with the intent of selling, you're just throwing like $100 or more down the drain.

Don't buy the 11 Rack bundle, get Reaper, just save up for a few more paychecks, and just get the Axe Fx. You'll save sooooooo much more money.

Everyone chooses different DAWs for different reasons.
I'm sure he chose PT for his own personal reasons.
Don't know anything about Reaper but PT is the most used DAW in pro studios.

Actually i believe Pro Tools is dongle free starting with PT10.

I pretty sure it requires an iLok2 license.

Recently iLok changed to allow local license I think but I haven't tried that yet. It is a function of iLok though and not Pro Tools specific.

I used ProTools for years but I got tired of paying very high prices to upgrade to the next version. I stopped at PT9. Reaper is excellent and IMO just as good (some say better) than ProTools and there's no upgrade fees.

I tested Eleven before buying my Axe-FX and although a cool and useful concept for making music, it doesn't compare to the Axe-FX. If you are picky about your guitar tone, I am guessing that you will not be satisfied. I wasn't. The ability to go back and change the amp used on the track is just as easy with the Axe-FX by using reamping.

If it were me, I would not spend the $1000 on PT and Eleven Rack if your plan is truly to move to an Axe-FX later on. If I needed something right away but could not afford an Axe-FX at the moment, I would look for a cheaper alternative until I could afford the Axe-FX. There are many options to accomplish this for probably as little as (off the top of my head) $100. Maybe even cheaper.

Wow… what a strange thread.

About ProTools… I can't say anything about it that comes from direct personal experience, as I've used MOTU's Digital Performer since it was just Performer – a MIDI-only sequencer – back in the mid-’80s. I've been very, very happy and productive with it.

But I've known people who have torn their hair out over ProTools, and I've never felt that “it's the industry standard – most pros use it” was much of a serious justification for anything. I mean, look at Microsoft Office! Who wants to be average? You could say “most guitarists use Zoom or Line 6 pedals,” and that's hardly an argument in their favor.

If you need to work at home, and then work with your project at an outside studio/studios that are ProTools-based, then that's a strong & fully justified reason for using the software. But one thing I've noticed – and correct me if I'm wrong – is that ProTools-compatible (RTAS?) versions of plugins are often far more expensive than their AU or VST equivalents, thus greatly increasing the cost of a custom system.

At this point, I've got close to four hundred AU plugins, and I shudder to think what it would take to get that kind of functionality in a ProTools system.

Last edited:
If you want to talk about how good something really is look at used resale prices. I can still get 2k for an axe-fx that is 3 years old. What would you get for an eleven rack - did I hear $300.00.........

FWIW, I found the 11R virtually useless. The tone just isn't there, but by all means, go find out for yourself.

One thing not mentioned, the 11R has an XLR mic input with switchable 48v phantom power. So it's more useful as a general purpose DAW interface for that reason.

I'm 99% sure that the last edition- of the 11r has come with an ilok2

and it's full on $650 protools not a watered down version. It's worth more than the hardware.

I'm 99% sure that the last edition- of the 11r has come with an ilok2

and it's full on $650 protools not a watered down version. It's worth more than the hardware.

And valid, but only if you want to use pt. I switched to reaper even though like the pt workfLow. Reaper is almost identical in all areas where it matte r s

Or... you know... we could address the OP's question in a way that's actually useful:

Caleb, why exactly do you want to go with Protools?

Are you open at all to other DAWs?

Does your area have a decent used music gear market?

If not, are you prepared for the sale of the 11r to be a bit of a hassle?

Back
Top Bottom