Does anyone use the Ultra and FX-II together?

bvaughn0402

Inspired
I just got a new FX-II. I have an Ultra, and I really don't want to part with it. It has a sound I love as well, and obviously it is nice to have around for all of the Ultra patches that aren't directly pulled up in the II.

So ... does anyone else have both?

And if you do, does anyone pull them together? Like a multi-amp situation? Or use the Ultra as an extra effects processor in addition to the II?

I'm sure it is overkill. And I will probably just use the Ultra for use in easily pulling up Ultra patches.

But I was curious if anyone has gotten creative with both devices, before I stick the FX-II into the rack unit.

Thanks!
Brandon

You can use the Ultra in the effects loop of the Axe II. Insert the FXL block and you have the best of both worlds. Since you would be plugging into the Axe II that would supply a similar input as the Ultra front input.
So using the rear ins/outs into your Axe II should provide the greatest signal to noise. Maybe someone here will clarify it.

I use my Ultra as a keyboard effects unit just for kicks. I really don't use it much and should probably sell it but it's hard to let it go. It's my baby and bascally what I learned the elecric guitar on.

Seems like one use of that would be to get more harmonies ... like a 3 or 4 part harmony. Not that I have that great a need for. :)

How many amps can you combine in a series in the II? 2 or 4?

I don't know. The more I think about it, the less it seems like combining them will be any worth.

I think I might turn the Ultra into a keyboard effects, bass, and atmospheric patch machine.

And save the II for pure guitar.

I'm also thinking of using the Ultra for adding effects to my Mark V, and leave the II in a studio rack for direct recording. Just seems a very expensive effects processor especially if I'm mostly just recording. :)

Same boat here - just got a II, don't want to part with the Ultra even though it's overkill to keep it. I put the Ultra in the loop of the II just for fun but it's wildly excessive in terms of capacity and options. I'm going to keep it until I can replicate my favorite Ultra patches in the Axe II. I find the two to be tonally different and I like different aspects of each but I'm hopeful I can recreate the best of the Ultra in the II with some tweaking.

I have my II racked with a poweramp, audio capture unit, tuner, power supply ... so not something I can throw over my shoulder and go with. I'm considering getting one of these to put the ultra in for a very portable rig (along with a behringer PA monitor and small foot controller): SKB 2U Audio Soft Rack Case: Shop Accessories & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

tosin abasi from animals as leaders uses a standard, an ulta and a II for his shows. Who knows if he runs through them all at once but it was pretty funny to see. Although this just means he has a serious setup with some serious tones.

I'm very attached to my ultra!

Me too, didn't see that coming. With guitars, yes, but so far I never felt really attached to an amp or even some rack gear.
But when I had to power off my Ultra and make it ready for shipping (had to sell it to fund the II), I got wistful and nostalgic...
I can only hope it's in good hands :cry

... now the II benumbs my pain :)

I have both too. They both have their advantages. I don't normally use both at once, but it is fun to throw the Ultra in the FXL of the II.

Me too, didn't see that coming. With guitars, yes, but so far I never felt really attached to an amp or even some rack gear.
But when I had to power off my Ultra and make it ready for shipping (had to sell it to fund the II), I got wistful and nostalgic...
I can only hope it's in good hands :cry

... now the II benumbs my pain :)

I was going to sell it and get another II but I've held off for a few reasons
Probably no1 is I'm doing do that much right now that warrants it

I think the biggest reason I got attached is I could take this once piece of gear and a guitar and go out and do a show!

I have my Ultra and I never even unboxed it from the RMA service. I'm letting my bassist use it now, but I don't think he'll put it in his rack until I show him all the finer details.

I too am apprehensive to sell it. It's the ultimate backup! ;)

Back
Top Bottom