Does anyone know how to make hum buster cables?

csassakb

Inspired
All

I don't feel like spending $80 on four hum buster cables from Fractal store.

I heard it is easy to make your own hum buster cables but just cutting one end of a 1/4" jack and replacing it, but I don't know where to start

Help is appreciated

Curt

That's from the manual:

500px-Humbuster2.png

+1 to the above fella..

Also, I went to my local music store (I know the guys there fairly well) and they were nice enough to make them up for me. You may pay whatever the actual cost is of the lead itself, plus the TRS end.. if that makes sense? Mine cost me around $40'ish from memory and that's here in Australia which is usually expensive!

Oh it's just balanced to unbalanced then.
I stopped using my Wah pedal cause of the horrendous noise. That and the ways in the Axe are pretty amazing.

+1 to the above fella..

Also, I went to my local music store (I know the guys there fairly well) and they were nice enough to make them up for me. You may pay whatever the actual cost is of the lead itself, plus the TRS end.. if that makes sense? Mine cost me around $40'ish from memory and that's here in Australia which is usually expensive!
thank you sir

+1 to the above fella..

To be clear, do you need the hum buster cables ONLY for the cables going from the AXE to the amp? In other words, do I need a Humbuster cable for going from guitar to AXE?

To be clear, do you need the hum buster cables ONLY for the cables going from the AXE to the amp? In other words, do I need a Humbuster cable for going from guitar to AXE?
No. regular guitar cable from guitar to AXE. The humbuster cables are used ONLY in the Outputs of the Axe

I use a pair of one foot long of Neutrik balanced (XLR) AXEFXII+ to the amp - is Humbuster better, or not as good as XLR? E.g. does the Humbuster leverage Cliff's proprietary technology in a way that XLR can't therefore suboptimizing the signal path? Inquiring minds would like to know.

It might be moot for me as I have a Matrix GT1000FX with a faulty 1/4" input, but the Neutrik works so I leave it alone. Otherwise it has to go back to the shop for a swap, which I'm not inclined to do (yet).

You don't even have to cut and replace the plug if you buy a TRS cable with screw on plug barrels. All you have to do is short the ring and sleeve connectors inside one of the plug barrels with a small jumper wire. Just make sure you mark the modified end of the cable with tape or paint or something, and the modified end needs to go to the non-Axe FX side.

Balanced XLR will probably have better noise rejection but only if the input of the next device is balanced as well.

Also, only the 1/4" outputs of the Axe support Humbuster, so at most you would need 2 humbuster cables for 4CM unless you are running stereo out to two amps.

Last edited:
I will make a patchpanel for my AX8.
So the out2 (jack) goes to a xlr-male
Then from that male I go with an xlr cable into an active monitor.

Do I need to humbust the jacks which go in out2?

XLR inputs are typically balanced, so a humbuster cable will not provide a balanced output for it. For the best noise cancellation, the noise sensing lead has to run the entire length of the cable, so you would want to short the XLR cable on the monitor end and leave the patch panel jack stock. XLR pin out is 1=ground, 2=positive, 3=negative. You would short pins 1 and 3 on the monitor end of the XLR cable to turn it into a humbuster cable. Just make sure your 1/4" TRS cable to the XLR male jack is wired so the conductors pass through correctly. XLR pin 1 (ground) goes to the TRS sleeve, pin 2 (positive) goes to TRS tip, and pin 3 (negative) goes to TRS ring. The pin 3 conductor would then be used as the noise sensing lead all the way from the AX8 out 2 jack to the monitor's XLR input.

I made a humbuster this morning out of a TRS cable and a TS connector. Took about 15 minutes including getting the soldering iron hot. I recommend you make one yourself if you have the tools and the patience.

Still using a Radio Shack soldering iron (and solder) - the stuff lasts forever.

From the Out of my preamp to Input 2 of the Axe FX, do I need any end of that connection to be TRS?

Right now I’m going into the Axe FX with my guitar connected by an instrument cable. Out of the Axe (Out 2) to a Synergy main input, out of the Synergy main output into Input 2 of the Axe and XLR L,R to my interface.

All unbalanced TS right now. I’m thinking I just need one TRS to TS to go from the Axe out to the preamp in but otherwise can get away with unbalanced connections? Yes, no?

Back
Top Bottom