Does anyone here started on a diff. Box before using axefx? Is it too much at first?

I just recently purchased an xl. I was playing through a podhd500x before and loved it. I decided to upgrade to axe and i noticed that the amount of possibilities are endless. Too much power in your hands i guess.

I think the key to not getting overwhelmed when you first get the Axe is to ignore the deeper stuff and to start simple. Get familiar with the Grid. At least initially use AxeEdit as much as possible, rather than the front panel. As many will tell you it is very helpful (even important?) to get familiar with the front panel eventually. If you don't know how to use the front panel it will be anxiety producing to attempt to make a change when you don't have a computer - say at a gig.

When you open AxeEdit start with the basics. Familiarize yourself with how the signal chain works. If you start slow I think you will find that there was a lot of thought put into the interface and, as a result, once you get clear on signal path you won't have a problem building your first patches.

Become familiar with the terminology. For instance, I found the term "block" to be confusing at first. My aha moment came when I realized that a block is just one of the squares on the grid visible in the AxeEdit grid. A block is the "square" shown in the grid. Note that the signal flows from left to right. Right clicking on a block brings up a context menu. The context menu shows what components you can put into your signal path - whether it's an amp, a cab, or one of the many effects types available on the Axe.

After you select a component to put into your signal path you have to connect cables (virtual cables, of course) so that your signal path is complete. A complete signal path is made by ensuring that you have either a shunt or block connecting the far left side of the grid (labeled input) connected to the far right side of the grid (labeled output). In the axe grid a virtual cable is called a "shunt". You can add a shunt to your signal flow either by using your mouse or by right clicking over a block and then selecting "shunt" from the context menu. If you want to use your mouse you can try left clicking. You'll see connection points that you can add shunts to by dragging the mouse while pressing the left mouse button.

If you want to adjust parameters in a block - let's say an amp, for example - you would click once on the block where you have placed your amp. Double clicking on a block will bypass the block so make sure you single click if you want to keep the block active in your signal path. Clicking once one the block will bring up a context menu where you can modify parameters of the amp block. This would include selecting the amp that you want to use as well drive, Bass, Mid, Treble, presence, and so on. Most of the parameters on the first page of the amp block are self explanatory. Ignore the parameters that you aren't familiar with. At least initially don't worry about the other pages with advanced parameters that you can edit on the amp block. You don't need to use them to get great tones. As you get more familiar with the environment you can start digging in to the advanced stuff, either by reading the manual or by researching comments or suggestions that have been made on the Fractal forum. But you don't need to go advanced at the beginning. Many people never do and are extremely happy with the results. Go slow and it won't be intimidating or frustrating.

If you follow this same process for all of the blocks you will be able to start getting familiar with how to get around in the interface. Once you become familiar with the interface then it becomes much easier to start figuring out the deeper stuff as you decide that you want to.

I hope this helps. Don't give up. I don't think it is hard to get great sounds out of the AxeFx2. You just have to have a bit of patience and go slowly. In a day or two, once you have gotten more familiar with navigating the grid, you'll be amazed at what you hear. At least that was my experience. YMMV, of course.

Best regards,
Scott

Last edited:
I jumped into the POD progression with an XTLive, which I thought was pretty easy to program. Same for the X3. The HD500 confused me. The Axe Fx Ultra was straightforward and easy in comparison. Sure, you have to learn where things are at and what they are called, but when you want to do something simple, like a parametric EQ for example, it's cake with the Axe Fx. Not so with the HD500. For me, the flexibility and power of the Axe programming methodology makes it easier, not harder, to get what I want.

Used a Digitech Genesis 3. Like all other modelers, the cleans sucked. I NEVER used the volume pot on my strat, always a volume pedal.
Now I have learned how to use the volume pot on the guitar to clean it up on rythyms. Some of the Axe amps have a more pronounced effect than other..(just like the real tube amps do)
I ALWAYS used an MXR DYnaComp straight after my guitar...not no more. The Axe will sustain naturally.
Good advice in here on the forum. RTFM, and when you have issues, just post on the forum. Lotsa love here, and all the help you need.
Fractal Audio is awesome in customer service and after product support!!!
I doubt you will regret your purchase. There have been a few that were overwhelmed by the technology, and have returned to something more familiar.

I have been using the preamp model setup since the late 70s. I started out using a Fender Deluxe reverb cranked all the way up for many years, then purchased a MXR distortion. After that I switched to the preamp model using many different ones over the years. I had a Yamaha one early on that was really nice I can't remeber the model number. After that I used a Pearce preamp for many years I still have the preamp it was a great unit has awesome distortion and great clean tones. After that I bought many different pedals the Boss Gt6 - GT10 and Eleven rack. All of these different preamps gave me Some awesome tones over the years. Finally I was able to get the Axe Fx now I have the best preamp on the market as far as I'm concerned. Allot of other players I jammed with over the years loved the sound I was getting but none of them would switch from their amps. Its finnaly the age where others have caught on to this method all thanks to the Axe Fx! Keep working with it and you will eventually get your desired
Tone.

I played lots of amps, cabs, effects also so tweaking and dialing a good tone is not a problem. It's just when i first open the box, i really don't know where to start lol

Wow! Amazing! I think I might sell the axe-fx and get a podhd! LOL
Please share your Axe-Fx presets. You are very good with tones!

Lol! When i first got my podhd500x, also first time in the digital world, i was really blown away and thought why would you buy an axefx if this one is already that good. I bought the xl anyways after 3 months of having the podhd500x. Diff? As far as tones, not so much for me i guess. But axe has more to offer than the pod.

What happen was i have the mesa mark v and stompboxes as my main rig and my bass player introduced me the axefx that he has. At first, im really not into digital. I went and did my research and found the pod which is cheaper. I told my bass player that im going digital but not axe fx. As soon as i told him that im buying a pod he said " it's fake " lol but i told him, watch, i'll make a good tone out of it and i did. He was blown for what the pod can do. I still have my mark v while playing live/practice/recording etc with my pod. I decided to get rid of it and buy and axe because the pod is great but it has limitations.
After getting the axe and playing with it, i noticed that my mesa is just collecting dust. You'll see it on my videos. It was hard getting rid of it but if i ever went back and look for that " tube " sound, i can always just get one easy.

This is me with my mark v

Mesa Boogie Mark V - ESP Horizon FR-II - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom