Do you use reverb on stage?

Depending on the song / parts : Lead overdriven always MultiDelays with Diffusion adding the 'reverb like' tones.....this creates a 'Delays + Reverb' style sound.....cleans and carpet like chords : Plex Verb !

So, NO delays & Reverb blocks ;)

Delay = Yes
Reverb = Yes, but only a little... Playing at low levels, a lot of reverb can sound good, but at gigging levels it just muddies up your tone.

Actually I love a lot of players who uses tons of Reverb….. some on stage & FOH like Joe Bonamassa….. NOT muddy at all , others probably only FOH like Slash : I often hear lots of Reverb on his live recordings….. and there are many others….. so in the end : it is all a personal taste and matter ….. and if used properly, not muddying your tone I guess if I hear these players live (recordings)

If I am in stereo live then I almost always use a short ping pong delay on all my lead tones. Short is key though somewhere between 70ms and 140ms. I think it just fattens everything up a bit - for staccato runs I stay down in the 70ish ms range - for slow burner leads up around 140ish. For those slow burns I usually add a stereo tape too. Tape Delay time will vary based on song.

Also the tape delay and verb are almost always in parallel and dialed in to be subtle.

Actually I love a lot of players who uses tons of Reverb….. some on stage & FOH like Joe Bonamassa….. NOT muddy at all , others probably only FOH like Slash : I often hear lots of Reverb on his live recordings….. and there are many others….. so in the end : it is all a personal taste and matter ….. and if used properly, not muddying your tone I guess if I hear these players live (recordings)

Regarding live recordings...if they're from the audience your hearing the sound of the venue if professionally released you are hearing post processing and typically some venue sound mixed in. Slash for example has no reverb in his rig, though he does use delay on solos.

Regarding live recordings...if they're from the audience your hearing the sound of the venue if professionally released you are hearing post processing and typically some venue sound mixed in. Slash for example has no reverb in his rig, though he does use delay on solos.
Yes, the professionally released have awesome reverbs on the guitars while his rig does not have any….. many guitar player do this I guess…. No mud on stage and FOH can add reverbs to taste….

Yes, the professionally released have awesome reverbs on the guitars while his rig does not have any….. many guitar player do this I guess…. No mud on stage and FOH can add reverbs to taste….

What I'm saying is that an official release isn't necessarily a reflection of how things sounded in the venue that night. An actual feed off the PA has almost no crowd noise, that's all mixed in after the fact. Some live albums even feature pitch correction and overdubs. So what you're hearing could be purely added in the mix for release, not the actual live sound.

If playing through an amp, I don't use reverb. I find that if I do, it will mess up the overall soundstage of the band. It will make the guitar sounds farther and more digital.

Last edited:
Do you mean 1.5 to 2 seconds? 2ms is completely imperceptible - The limit for human perception resting roughly around the 40ms mark, and in practice it can often be higher (I know that the science of perception is complicated, but regardless of the details, under 10ms is not perceptible).
For me, reverb is always on (cleans and dirt). Some sort of plate verb, 1.5 to 2ms, mix at 10%ish then let the room/venue do the rest of the work. I do a low cut at 400ish and a high cut between 4k-6k. However, I'm just playing rock/metal covers. I rarely use reverb as an effect... more of a feel thing and to wet the tone a bit. Dry tone always sounds too sterile to me.

Do you mean 1.5 to 2 seconds? 2ms is completely imperceptible - The limit for human perception resting roughly around the 40ms mark, and in practice it can often be higher (I know that the science of perception is complicated, but regardless of the details, under 10ms is not perceptible).
Yes....

Reverb, Always (though, not as much as I used to). Unless I am specifically needing a very dry sound for tight breaks, etc..

I always Low Cut around 150-200 Hz in the Reverb (and Delays) block EQ tabs to keep any low end rumbling from muddying up the mix.

Back
Top Bottom