Do you think Metallica is using Dyna-cab live?

Does a dyna cab of a given cab/mic/position actually sound different than a static IR of the same cab/mic/position ?

I thought the point of dynacabs was just to allow ease of changing the mic type and position easier than loading a bunch of static IR’s but either way it’s still static IR’s at the end of the day, no ?

In other words, how would the dynacab feature make Metallica sound any different ?

Does a dyna cab of a given cab/mic/position actually sound different than a static IR of the same cab/mic/position ?
Not if they use the same cabinet with the same speaker, microphone and pre-amp. But we know that at least one mic changed, as did the pre-amp, so, yes, there’s a difference. I think it’s pretty obvious which is which when comparing to equivalent factory cabs.

Which is better? That’s subjective and up to the listener. I like Dyna-Cab technology enough that it’s something I am digging into and will use as my first Cab stop when building a preset.

I thought the point of dynacabs was just to allow ease of changing the mic type and position easier than loading a bunch of static IR’s but either way it’s still static IR’s at the end of the day, no ?
The UI is similar to others, but what it’s doing underneath is different. “Static IRs” don’t effectively describe the file format and the technology used; These are not like the thousands of IRs I bought for modelers in the past hoping they sounded like something I’d want to use.

Within an hour of sitting down to see what I could do with Dyna-Cabs I had a sound I’d chased for a couple years using traditional IRs on a particular preset. At the same time I have presets using factory and 3rd party IRs that sound great too, and I haven’t found a reason to change those. And here’s the important thing, I don’t have to change them if I don’t want to.

In other words, how would the dynacab feature make Metallica sound any different ?
How would we know? They use custom IRs, and few bands of their stature, if any, are going to mess with their working formula while on tour, so it’s a totally moot discussion. If they choose to change and say what they changed to then we’ll know, otherwise it’s only speculation.

Last edited:

Yeah, at the end of the day Dynacab is an IR. As Greg argues maybe captured at higher quality than some of the equivalent factory IRs, and with the added benefit that you have a nice UI to cycle trough IRs or interpolated IRs where most libraries just give you a handleful of capture points they hope sound good and blend well.

So I disagree with Greg above, if Cliff released one of the single IR captures from inside the dynacab library and you compared it with the exact mic position and settings which corresponds to that IR they would sound the same. Yes, a dynacab of a mic and speaker and position will sound different than a different IR with a different physical mic, speaker, or capture setup. But they're still IRs.

That said, it would make Metallica sound different if they used it because it would be a different IR than the custom IRs they were using before.

I absolutely love their live tones much more now than when I saw them prior to Fractal days. That video is awesome, the tones are incredible. All my opinion of course (and literally all my non-guitarist friends who are fans too)!

But seriously doubt they would use Dynacab if they have the consistency of their own home baked IRs.

Yeah, at the end of the day Dynacab is an IR. As Greg argues maybe captured at higher quality than some of the equivalent factory IRs, and with the added benefit that you have a nice UI to cycle trough IRs or interpolated IRs where most libraries just give you a handleful of capture points they hope sound good and blend well.

So I disagree with Greg above, if Cliff released one of the single IR captures from inside the dynacab library and you compared it with the exact mic position and settings which corresponds to that IR they would sound the same. Yes, a dynacab of a mic and speaker and position will sound different than a different IR with a different physical mic, speaker, or capture setup. But they're still IRs.

That said, it would make Metallica sound different if they used it because it would be a different IR than the custom IRs they were using before.
I’m not sure what you’re disagreeing with.

Why use Dyna-cabs when they already have their live cabs professionally captured as IRs? I believe it was Matt and maybe Cooper who helped their techs with this. I mean, Dyna-cabs ARE great, but when you have your favorite live cabinet captured and loaded in the Axe, why bother???

Haven't read through all the answers, so I might be doubling something.

Why would they use Dyna-Cabs? In my opinion, if you are on such a level of professionalty, you shoot your own IRs of a perfectly miced cab in your studio or wherever.

So no, I'd say they'll never use Dyna-Cabs.

edit: Again such a weird question about Dyna-Cabs. They are just IRs, there's nothing special about them on a tone level, they are just special on a "find your right IR within the Axe" level.

edit: Again such a weird question about Dyna-Cabs. They are just IRs, there's nothing special about them on a tone level, they are just special on a "find your right IR within the Axe" level.

Still warming up to the Dynacabs myself. They’re very good but no better than a well mixed IR of a great cab. I think you’re right, they are just IR’s. A lot easier to pick through for sure. The interface is excellent. They do seem more clear. They don’t sound as processed, probably because they’re not. I use both and probably always will.

The tones on the video sound great to me but I’m not a huge fan. So I don’t have a history of deep diving on the tones. I’m stoked they’re on board with the Axe. They know what they want and can use anything they want. And they went with FAS. Probably using custom IR’s like everyone thinks. It’s possible they would switch if they found something that sounds better.

Sounds fine. But nothing amazing. That is no slam on Fractal as lots of things can alter a tone to video and then through speakers to ear.

To all who don't understand why I asked whether Metallica could be using Dyna-Cab, or think there's nothing special about them, or think the question is weird, please consider the following:

This post was made about a month before the Beta came to FM9 (which is the only Fractal platform I currently own), and the hype surrounding Dyna-Cab coming from the AXE3 Forum was strong. Posts claimed that Dyna-Cabs had a different feel, that they accentuated different frequencies, and that they improved the sound over existing IRs. The hype went beyond just being easier/different to dial in. I guess you could say I fell for the hype.

There are many videos of Metallica playing Fractal prior to Dyna-Cab. The video I posted seemed to be from a date after Dyna-Cab-Cab release. Whether they were using factory IRs or custom IRs, this video sounded noticeably better to me. And to be fair, my post questions whether the result might have been due to factors beyond their Fractal units' output. The bottom line is this video sounded remarkably better to me.

Therefore: Enormous hype surrounding Dyna-Cab-Cabs + Metallica sounds better to me post Dyna-Cab release = "Do you think Metallica is using Dyna-Cab live?"

Back
Top Bottom