Do you need "extra" space in a rack?

So if you're mounting something like a 2U tube power amp in a rack with an AxeFX do you need more than a 4U rack? Is heat dissipation really a concern or more of an internet forum phenomena. I couldn't find anything in the Randall, Fryette, or Mesa manuals saying there needed to be extra room in the rack when using their tube power amps.

Last edited:
That really depends on the power amp and its own cooling design. Some power amps like the Matrix GT series have pass thru cooling with fans and don't get very hot at all. Ive seen a few Axe-fx II rigs with the Matrix power amps tucked right under the II. Then there are some power amps with no pass thru cooling or fans and they radiate heat via fins on the back. These I would give a space. Tube amps get hot too. It just depends what power amp you are using I guess. I wouldnt be worried about the power amp as much as I would be about the power amp cooking my Axe-fx.

How hot does your power amp get under load? What power amp is it?

Also, welcome to the forums. :)

@Funeral Thanks for the response and welcome. Been lurking for a while :razz I have a Randall RT250 right now, tubes are all the way at the back and the chassis doesn't get all that hot even after an hour or two. Right now the Axe and Amp are sitting right on top of each other. Seems like most of the tube amps are vent through to some degree.

Back
Top Bottom