Do you have a tuner in your pedalboard? How did you configure?

Researched a little bit on this, and it seems that some players use a splitter (A/B) for that. One example that I found is using a Framptone, originally designed to split the signal between two amps, but then it actually split with one output going to the rig and another one going to the tuner. Works great for me. Any thoughts on this?

Here is a link to the splitter: Framptone The Amp Switcher Footswitch | Musician's Friend

PS: This pedal allows a A/B or A+B splitting.
PS2: I just looked at the Peterson Tuner pedal, and looks great. I am also considering that. Thanks for the hint!

Cheers,
Rob.

Last edited:
What? Have your guitar pickups checked... This is not normal. I just jammed yesterday out full blast volume with my band in a 12x12 room and was able to tune easily in the middle of any songs with the mfc.

I have issues with the MFC tuner all the time...It jumps all over while the AXE FX XL is very steady. As soon as you add some additional noise, they both appear to go crazy. My PU's are Crunchlab and Liquifires...I really don't think they need to be checked ;-)

I have issues with the MFC tuner all the time...It jumps all over while the AXE FX XL is very steady. As soon as you add some additional noise, they both appear to go crazy. My PU's are Crunchlab and Liquifires...I really don't think they need to be checked ;-)

Does your MIDI cable run beside your guitar cable or electric cables on the floor, from your pedalboard position to your Axe FX?

If so, perhaps, you are getting interference of MIDI traffic (resulting in flaky MFC tuner display readings) because of the MIDI cable being too close to electrical wires?

If I recall correctly from a previous discussion, the MFC tuner display is a low-priority thread for the AxeFX OS. M@, is this correct?

For what it's worth, I never have any problems with the tuner on the MFC. I do tuning point-checks during our show, using just the MFC display. My observations are that the FASLINK protocol is very stable.

Does your MIDI cable run beside your guitar cable or electric cables on the floor, from your pedalboard position to your Axe FX?

If so, perhaps, you are getting interference of MIDI traffic (resulting in flaky MFC tuner display readings) because of the MIDI cable being too close to electrical wires?

I have the XLR completely isolated, other than where it comes out of the AXE FX II XL, and I've tried moving it around. I used to perform EMC testing for the automotive industry, so I have taken that training into account when trying every variation I can imagine, including different XLR cables, that I have personally tested with a VERY low capacitance, as well as some higher capacitances...also with guitar cables. I've put them next to each other, at varying angles from/to each other, parallel, etc. I've also gone as far as re-shielding my guitar (JP7 13) along with replacing the input jack, and testing the electronics on the guitar. I've also tried an 87 Strat, as well as a cheap japanese strat, all with the same results on the MFC. I've tried moving to another part of the house, as well as at our practice space...it doesn't seem to matter. I would say even the Axe Edit tuner is better...

I use an ethercon cable and have many issues with the MFC tuner when the band starts making noise. It doesn't matter which guitar is used. Like I said earlier, my situation is not unique.

I use a standard 25' ethernet cable from my Axe FX 2 to mfc 101 mk3 and no issues at all. Could it have to do with the version of the mfc?

I use a standard 25' ethernet cable from my Axe FX 2 to mfc 101 mk3 and no issues at all. Could it have to do with the version of the mfc?

I've had all three versions of the MFC101, and pretty much all FW's for each, and have always seen this...and I've even moved to new places, and even travelled and it's been consistent, along with having a few other different guitars and an Axe FX II in between...

Yes.. Peterson strobostomp. The tuner display on the MFC is not useable to me at all. The 8-ball on the axe display works well but it's pretty hard to see and my display is too dim even on it's highest contrast setting.

For the past five years or so, I've used a Sonic Research Turbo Tuner ST-200 (which I highly recommend).

I find the XL's tuner to be much slower by comparison. Still it is very accurate! It's faster to tune looking at the front panel. The MFC's display seems slow and finicky but effective, ie. >E<,(when both indicators appear) means it's definitely in tune!

My guitars are well set up, I just tune before hitting the stage and they stay tuned for the whole set! (approx. 40 mins), so the Axe's tuner is an adequate gigging tuner, in my case.

Still, I don't think I'll be using the Axe's tuner for adjusting intonation and setting up floating tremolos. :D

I have an FXL block in the chain. I then use a 1/4 inch cable out of Output 2 to the input on a BOSS TU2 on my pedalboard. Set the level all the way down. I use a voodoo labs GCP with a button set to toggle the FXL block on and off which mutes the signal. Silent tuning! Works perfect.

I have a Radial Bigshot ABY Switcher inline between the guitar and the Axe FX. The Bigshot ABY has a tuner out. I have a Sonic Research Turbo Tuner St-200 connected to the tuner out on the Bigshot ABY. While practicing I usually leave the tuner on so that I can see that the notes I bend are at the correct pitch. If I just use the turbo tuner without the Radial Bigshot ABY's tuner out then the sound is cut off when I turn the tuner on. This way I can use both the tuner and listen to the Guitar/Axe FX the same time. I use the ABY switcher for other things as well.

Looks something like this (damn, looks like it's time for a gear cleaning session).

Last edited:
I have a Peterson Rack Tuner from my old rig that I have considered putting in the rack I have at one of my venues where we are required to have a silent stage and could easily convert my 4-space to a 6-space. However I struggle with being convinced of the added value over the built in tuner (especially if I am looking at the rack).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm running a Korg DTR2000 in the bottom of my rack which gets its signal from output 2 on the Axe so its ON all the time, pretty helpful.
I've used to have an Ibanez LU20 tuner on my pedal board which got the signal from the Korg output but not anymore as I can see the Korg from miles

Interesting since we are going silent stage at this venue I will no longer need to run my CLR from Out 1 in addition to out 1 going to front of house. Is there a way to have Out 2 see the signal still if I am muting out one - I am assuming there is? If so this would be a great solution.

I'm running a Korg DTR2000 in the bottom of my rack which gets its signal from output 2 on the Axe so its ON all the time, pretty helpful.
I've used to have an Ibanez LU20 tuner on my pedal board which got the signal from the Korg output but not anymore as I can see the Korg from miles

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Interesting since we are going silent stage at this venue I will no longer need to run my CLR from Out 1 in addition to out 1 going to front of house. Is there a way to have Out 2 see the signal still if I am muting out one - I am assuming there is? If so this would be a great solution.

Hmmm, not sure, I don’t remember what exactly I did, ill check later when ill be near my rig.
Basically yes, even if I hit the tuner switch and the rig is muted still OUT2 is functioning so the KORG get a signal.
It is working flowsly, the Korg DTR are very good tuners and the large display is great.

If you're wanting to put a tuner on your board, Id suggest a buffer with a transformer isolated split. This will ensure that your pickups see the correct impedence and that your signal isn't degraded on the cable run back to the Axe. It will also keep your signal completely isolated from the tuner. The Suhr buffer does that. Suhr® Buffer Pedal There are others as well. If you can find an Axess Electronics buffer on ebay or craigslist that would work as well.

This ^ The Suhr Buffer is a great product. It's not always a good thing to have everything true bypass anyway, It's a good idea to have at least one buffer in your signal, ask Bob Bradshaw.

Peterson makes a tuner like the Shark that attaches to your guitar headstock and is extremely accurate. I sometimes use it on my Les Pauls and adjust the neck so that the display sits behind the headstock. I just kill the volume altogether on my volume pedal and tune right up. I am looking for a way to use my external tuner to mute everything when I kick it on to tune though.

Back
Top Bottom