Do you have a tuner in your pedalboard? How did you configure?

I am planning to add a tuner to my pedalboard, and was wondering the best option to use. I would prefer having my guitar signal going straight to Axe FX II, and having the signal going to the tuner from there. Some people use Y cable or a splitter pedal right before the preamp, but (maybe I am wrong) I have a feeling that I lose guitar signal doing that. What do you guys do?

Cheers,
Rob

If you're wanting to put a tuner on your board, Id suggest a buffer with a transformer isolated split. This will ensure that your pickups see the correct impedence and that your signal isn't degraded on the cable run back to the Axe. It will also keep your signal completely isolated from the tuner. The Suhr buffer does that. Suhr® Buffer Pedal There are others as well. If you can find an Axess Electronics buffer on ebay or craigslist that would work as well.

Just curious - the equipment list in your sig shows an MFC101 - why not use the Axe tuner? It's very accurate and easy to see. Easier than most stand-alone units, really. Much larger display.

Just curious - the equipment list in your sig shows an MFC101 - why not use the Axe tuner? It's very accurate and easy to see. Easier than most stand-alone units, really. Much larger display.

No that's a MFX. Lol

Plus you can use the Tuner as a Mute when playing live...along with being able to step up/down the tuning settings to your taste (i.e.; Def Leppard, etc).

>> No that's a MFX. Lol

Hehe! Yeah, I saw that. But, I stopped being a grammar/spelling Nazi several years ago. Used to bug me on the tech sites, as upper/lower case, punctuation, spelling, etc. could dramatically change the information passed. But, oddly enough, on the music sites those things usually aren't an issue. You'd think the techies would be hyper-vigilant about such things and musicians less so, but no.

I use the onboard tuner on axe Fx. Although the MFC read out is not fast or accurate. So I look back at the unit....wish this would be fixed. Most think I'm crazy, but there is a huge difference.

I use the onboard tuner on axe Fx. Although the MFC read out is not fast or accurate. So I look back at the unit....wish this would be fixed. Most think I'm crazy, but there is a huge difference.

Hmm. Never had a problem with it, so not sure this is a 'fix'. But I've never had a tuner that didn't do a bit of 'jumping around' based off of how hard I hit the string, etc, so I don't know any better. (I'm having a shot at the 'sweetened' settings for a few days, and I think I like it...)

Worth a post in 'Wish List' if it's important to you. Cliff's always looking to improve.

Hmm. Never had a problem with it, so not sure this is a 'fix'. But I've never had a tuner that didn't do a bit of 'jumping around' based off of how hard I hit the string, etc, so I don't know any better. (I'm having a shot at the 'sweetened' settings for a few days, and I think I like it...)

Worth a post in 'Wish List' if it's important to you. Cliff's always looking to improve.

Compared to the unit in rack....the MFC is not in same accuracy category.

In a live situation I've found the MFC onboard tuner to be not great. If there are drums going and you are trying to tune you might as well forget it.

The MFC tuner is not as good as in Axe Fx. Also, it is quite hard to see while in a gig, in betwen songs. But it is just personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're wanting to put a tuner on your board, Id suggest a buffer with a transformer isolated split. This will ensure that your pickups see the correct impedence and that your signal isn't degraded on the cable run back to the Axe. It will also keep your signal completely isolated from the tuner. The Suhr buffer does that. Suhr® Buffer Pedal There are others as well. If you can find an Axess Electronics buffer on ebay or craigslist that would work as well.

That's a great tip. Probably rhe way I want to go. Thanks a lot!

Personally, I've never really gotten along with the tuner display on the MFC either. I used to always try and keep the Axe close by so I could look/squint at the screen once I triggered the tuner. Once I started using a Shure GLXD wireless, (the one with the tuner in it) I stopped using the Axe tuner live.

These days I'm using a Liquid Foot Jr+, and I find it much easier to use the Axe Fx tuner in comparison to the MFC. One of my live guitars has a Hipshot Xtender (detuner) key on it, which requires you to tune slightly flat of the higher target note before flipping the lever down and up again which brings the note to it's final pitch. I adjust the tuning offset for that string on the Axe Fx tuner, which is a godsend in that situation. If I'm not using the Hipshot, I'll stick with the GLXD's tuner unless I'm using a cable.

In a live situation I've found the MFC onboard tuner to be not great. If there are drums going and you are trying to tune you might as well forget it.

What? Have your guitar pickups checked... This is not normal. I just jammed yesterday out full blast volume with my band in a 12x12 room and was able to tune easily in the middle of any songs with the mfc.

There's another post on this somewhere and if you read it you'll find that what I experienced is not an anomaly.

I agree with M@ about the Peterson Strobe Tuner pedal. I'm also seeing the Sonic Research Turbo Tuner on a lot of pro boards these days. They're both true bypass. I have one of each. The Peterson in the "green room" box for backstage tuning of all instruments (bass, guitar, Warr guitar, sax, etc), and the Turbo Tuner is in my guitar case so I can tune up after restringing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom