Do you have a guitar that you miss?

Yes, but I know if I managed to buy it back (from where ever it is) or got another one that was just as nice, I'd soon be wondering WTF I was thinking. I had an Edwards Flying V. Was rather inexpensive back then, and was one of the best sounding guitars I've ever played. Just the perfect balance of clarity and fatness. Only problem was, being the first (and only) V I'd owned, I discovered I really can't play 'em. The lack of contours, the balance of the thing, the neck angle, control layout, etc... was just never comfortable playing it.

Amps though... I miss my old Mesa Mark III. I've seen the exact amp I used to own come up for sale a couple of times and have had to resist buying it back. That'd be another one where I'd soon be wondering what I was thinking. It'd sound great... but it'd only ever be used at home at ultra low volumes. No way I'd be carrying that thing up and down the stairs in and out of my place for practice/gigs. And then the sound would change from day to day, and then a tube'd die... and I'd be reminded of why I got away from all that stuff in the first place. :lol

A 1987 Ibanez Roadstar II. It was my first electric guitar. I was in acoustic guitar lessons for about a year and really wasn't digging it. My mom finally agreed to buy me an electric guitar after I told her I was very interested in playing electric. She took me to the music store around August of 1988. I went in looking for a Fender Strat, as I really didn't know what I wanted, but the Strat was a name I knew.

The sales guy had me try the Ibanez. It was last year's model and they were closing them out. It felt really good in my beginner hands, and they were letting it go for $175.

I played the snot out of that guitar. Years later, it had gone unplayed and lived in my closet. I had a friend who's son was looking to start guitar, so I gave it to him.

I really miss that guitar now. It was my first electric and has sentimental value. They go on Ebay now for around $300-400, but it's hard to find one that is exactly like mine. Most I see for sale have been "80s-ified". That is, they have aftermarket locking trem systems and hot pickups.

Though I have much better guitars now, I'd still love to have the Ibanez back. I've talked with the guy I gave it too, and his guitar interest didn't last. I even offered to pay him fair market value for the guitar, but he's since given it to a girl who's looking to start a music career.

A friend's dad has an old Roadstar (don't remember which model) from back when for whatever reason he decided to buy a guitar and then never play it. Could do with a bit of sorting out the old pots 'n' whatnot that have gone a bit rubbish over the years, maybe a bit of fretwork, but it's definitely a nice guitar. His has that old Pro Rock'r trem on it though. Asked if he was interested in selling it, coz you know... why not?... but nope, wants to hold on to it. :(

I had a Charvel Model 3DR that I put an EMG 81 in... was a total one-trick pony tone-wise, but that guitar had the most stable tuning of any guitar I've owned - I also liked the fine tuner location on that particular floyd model - no chance of knocking the fine tuners with your hand.

Also an older Ibanez Artist - no idea of the year... back killer, but nice tones...

I have 5 that I miss, all of which were stolen at the same time.
late 60s Tele
late 70s ES335
early 70s Strat
late 60s D-28
early 70s Guild 12 string

I also really missed the JTM45 and Mesa MkII that they also took.

I bought a '69 Gibson SG standard new. It had the Lyre Tailpiece--great guitar. Sold it to buy food for the family...long time ago!

A 1987 Ibanez Roadstar II. It was my first electric guitar. I was in acoustic guitar lessons for about a year and really wasn't digging it. My mom finally agreed to buy me an electric guitar after I told her I was very interested in playing electric. She took me to the music store around August of 1988. I went in looking for a Fender Strat, as I really didn't know what I wanted, but the Strat was a name I knew.

The sales guy had me try the Ibanez. It was last year's model and they were closing them out. It felt really good in my beginner hands, and they were letting it go for $175.

I played the snot out of that guitar. Years later, it had gone unplayed and lived in my closet. I had a friend who's son was looking to start guitar, so I gave it to him.

I really miss that guitar now. It was my first electric and has sentimental value. They go on Ebay now for around $300-400, but it's hard to find one that is exactly like mine. Most I see for sale have been "80s-ified". That is, they have aftermarket locking trem systems and hot pickups.

Though I have much better guitars now, I'd still love to have the Ibanez back. I've talked with the guy I gave it too, and his guitar interest didn't last. I even offered to pay him fair market value for the guitar, but he's since given it to a girl who's looking to start a music career.

I've got a black '86 Roadstar I'm going to sell--all original.

late 60s Tele
late 70s ES335
early 70s Strat
late 60s D-28

That's just awful. How do you recover from such thing?
I think I would feel totally devastated.

"Do you have a guitar that you miss?" ..... ummm .... no :? Was that a trick question?? :mrgreen

I did have a 70's Wine Les Paul Deluxe which, like a complete arse, I sold in the mid eighties and still wake up cursing myself for.

Thanks for reminding me!! :(

late 60s Tele
late 70s ES335
early 70s Strat
late 60s D-28

Thieves are the worst. Despicable people to be sure. I feel for you as that is a huge loss.

I had kids break into my home a few years back. Never found them but we know they were kids as my entire guitar collection was sitting right there in stands and my Nikon camera was on the table and all they took was my Xbox & games, Ipod, and a Sparkletts 5 gallon bottle filled 75% with coins. The bottle indicated there was more than one because that thing was damn heavy.

So I was actually out that night celebrating a friends 50th and was pretty hammered. Took a taxi home and when I arrived I see two sheriffs sitting on my couch. Freaked me out to say the least. After surveying the losses I was actually both relieved and astonished my guitars were all still there. Amazing.

Would still like to get my hands on those little pricks though! :evil

My mother bought me a brand new 1979 Les Paul Tobacco sunburst. I still remember the price tag, $799.00. I was 16 years old and I just switched to guitar after playing keys for 9 years and bass for 3. I started playing with my brother's 1970 Fender Mustang.
I traded it later on for a Dean ML Flame which was a huge mistake. But I was young and I was impressed because I though the shape of the guitar was so cool!

Yes! I owned a UV777GR and sold it just before I embarked for university. It's the only piece of gear I regret selling. Very, very much regret selling it. Should have kept it. Unfortunately it's a guitar that was made in very limited numbers and the price has gone up considerably since I parted ways with mine back in 1996. I doubt I'll ever be able to afford to reclaim one. I had no idea how rare it was at the time I sold it. I had acquired it by chance; it had been sitting under a friend's bed for years and completely unused. He sold it to me for practically nothing: $700. I sold it on for $1000. So I thought I'd done pretty well. Opps. :-O

It was such a fantastic guitar: Ibanez UV777GR

uv777gr.jpg

Last edited:
A friend's dad has an old Roadstar (don't remember which model) from back when for whatever reason he decided to buy a guitar and then never play it. Could do with a bit of sorting out the old pots 'n' whatnot that have gone a bit rubbish over the years, maybe a bit of fretwork, but it's definitely a nice guitar. His has that old Pro Rock'r trem on it though. Asked if he was interested in selling it, coz you know... why not?... but nope, wants to hold on to it. :(

At the time my friends all snickered at that guitar, since everyone wanted the pointy headstock axes, like Jackson, Kramer, Ibanez RG, etc. Now I look back and realize it was a pretty cool little strat clone. Japanese built, too!

I could track it down and make an attractive buyback offer, I suppose. But realistically, it would just hang on my wall. I've got much nicer guitars now that I've bonded with. No sense keeping a guitar around just for sentimental value when it could be getting played and enjoyed by someone else.

late 60s Tele
late 70s ES335
early 70s Strat
late 60s D-28

That sucks, man! I hope you were insured.

I feel secure in my house with an alarm system, but even moreso the three 60 lb. dogs who sound like a pack of Dobermans to new people. In reality, they just want to be friends, but to an intruder they sound like they'll go for the nuts. They make me feel my gear is safe ;-)

When I was born in 84 my dad bought a Les Paul Custom Black Beauty. He passed away when I was young so my mom gave me the guitar when I was old enough to play. I recently just got back into playing after several years. During that time I sold the LP. One of my most regrettable decisions.

Wow, eljodon, nearly identical story for me! Had a beautiful '79 Tobaccoburst Custom that a friend/mentor sold me for $350. I was a dumb, broke teenager, and when the gold-plated hardware started corroding from my sweat, I stupidly traded it in for a new Ibanez RG-550, which I still have... good guitar, but I've missed the Custom ever since. The closest I've gotten is the '94 Black Beauty Custom I just picked up, but while beautiful it's not the same.

I also miss my very first guitar, an Epiphone Explorer, for nostalgia reasons, but mostly because losing it wasn't my fault; the bass player in my band lent it (without my knowledge) to the superintendent of my school district for a lip-synch contest. The dumbass then went on to drop it and snap the headstock clean off. I was ready to blow a gasket when I found out. I was called into his office, *at school*, no less, and offered the princely sum of $150 to make up for it. I would have loved to have to tell him where to shove the $150, but he my parents were both teachers in his school district, and he was completely the type of person who would react by abusing his power over them. I very nearly did it anyway. It pisses me off to this day. Yeah, it wasn't a great guitar, but it was my first!

Just my first electric. A cherry sunburst Honer Les Paul Custom copy. I had been taking lessons for 3 years on a student model Stella acoustic. I actually think it was setup as a dobro (sarcasm). It kinda fell to the wayside when I started gigging and had a few guitars by this point. I traded it to a friend for a dirt bike I believe. Never seen it again.

Funny story about it. After having it for about a year I upgraded the stock pickups to some weird name brand distortion pickups (late 70's I guess). White rings and bobbins. After saving more cash from yards and such I took it back to the local music store and asked if they could put a third pickup in the middle that matched. The guy assures me that it'd be no problem and gave me a price. I told him I wanted the selector switch wired (starting from up position) Neck, Bridge, and all three.

He asks "Why all three on?" I replied "Because it'll be louder!" I think I was 13'sh. I argued with the guy for a while until he finally convinced me it didn't work that way. :)

Back
Top Bottom