Do you find yourself defaulting to certain Cab IRs?

I have a bunch of York Audio IRs. I brought all of those into my Axe III and FM3 and I use them more then anything else. They just sound right through my FRFR monitors. Lots of fantastic stock IRs right in the box though, no question!

Hi all - can anybody enlighten me with what the numbers / letters after the cabs in the cab block mean?
Sorry, couldn't find any info in the manual or blocks guide.

Speaking of cabs, is there a more intuitive way of scrolling through them on the unit, and also an easier way of selecting them in Axe Edit aside frmo pressing "picker" every single time, like a -/+ button?

Speaking of cabs, is there a more intuitive way of scrolling through them on the unit, and also an easier way of selecting them in Axe Edit aside frmo pressing "picker" every single time, like a -/+ button?
Pin the picker. When you select a cab in the picker, it is immediately applied, so you can quickly audition many cabs quickly. And if you're really smart, you'll use the looper block so you can audition cabs without having to play guitar at the same time.

Legacy 189 (4x12 G12M Creamback mix CEL) and Factory2 947 (4x12 Trad V60 57 OH) is always my starting. After trying different stock cabs, 75% of the time I revert back to the starting cabs.

I've been using a single, custom, synthetically generated IR exclusively for the last couple of years (starting with my AX8) and can't see myself ever going back to 'conventional' IR's (I have literally thousands that I've purchases over the years).

It's roughly voiced overall to the stock TV 4x12 IR in the AFX/FM3 and I find it sounds so much more natural and fuller without all of the phasing issues and weird frequency responses you get from so many close mic'ed IR's. I may reconsider re-investigating conventional IR's if the FM3 had the "de-phase" feature but am totally happy with my current IR and the flexibility that creating them from scratch allows. I cannot stand the phasing artifacts and/or the strident, grainy 2KHz -> 5KHz harshness that seems to be inherent in the DNA of many/most close mic'ed IR's.

I do continue experimenting with creating/voicing synthetic IR's but haven't felt the need to actively pursue upgrading/replacing it which has made life so very much easier in Fractal-land.

I've been using a single, custom, synthetically generated IR exclusively for the last couple of years (starting with my AX8) and can't see myself ever going back to 'conventional' IR's (I have literally thousands that I've purchases over the years).

It's roughly voiced overall to the stock TV 4x12 IR in the AFX/FM3 and I find it sounds so much more natural and fuller without all of the phasing issues and weird frequency responses you get from so many close mic'ed IR's. I may reconsider re-investigating conventional IR's if the FM3 had the "de-phase" feature but am totally happy with my current IR and the flexibility that creating them from scratch allows. I cannot stand the phasing artifacts and/or the strident, grainy 2KHz -> 5KHz harshness that seems to be inherent in the DNA of many/most close mic'ed IR's.

I do continue experimenting with creating/voicing synthetic IR's but haven't felt the need to actively pursue upgrading/replacing it which has made life so very much easier in Fractal-land.
Well that's intriguing :)
Any chance you'd make that IR available?
Can you say anything about how it was made?

Well that's intriguing :)
Any chance you'd make that IR available?
Can you say anything about how it was made?

Ahhhh I find the process and methodology of generating synthetic IR's absolutely intriguing as well!!

I'll see if I can remember to send it the next time I'm at my studio but here is some info about how I went about it, the program, etc.:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ir-length.155295/page-9#post-1849179
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ir-length.155295/page-9#post-1849192
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ir-length.155295/page-10#post-1849480

I'm also finding that I don't need an IR length greater then 20mS, especially that I don't get any 'room reflections', etc. in a generated IR.

If there was only one IR included, it should be Factory 2, 709 (4x12 Fractal GB 160 2B) for me. It works alone for everything in my setup. Sometimes I mix a decent amount of a WGS Retro 30 Mix with it, that a member posted somwhere here. I have bought two highly regarded commercial IR packs, but came back to these two IRs.

I waited about a year before I started saving cab blocks, just until I heard plenty of IR’s and really got a good feel for their importance. Now I’ve got amp-specific blocks saved, like Friedman/Marshall, Diezel, Mesa, etc. What works with a Dual Rec generally works with a MKIV and I’ve found that to be the case across the board with other brands. If the saved cab block doesn’t do the trick right away, it’s usually close enough to the ballpark that I’m only a couple IR’s away from the perfect one.

I gravitate towards older crunchy speakers with lots of raunch for plexi/tweed. For cleans either tweed era or celly blues. For metal I like the lynchbacks and v30s.

i still experiment a lot with cabs though.

I ended up buying six cab packs from 3 Sigma. They're my favourite cabs now, lol. You're right, they're pretty amazing, they have a quality to them that makes them sound more like actual cabs. To me they're way better than ML and OH stuff. Zilla and Mesa OS are my favourite. Thanks for mentioning it, I didn't even know that this company existed.
3 Sigma Audio cabs are absolutely killer. Totally awesome. Love the FriedmanSS, Marshall196AH, Marshall Basket, VX30 and a few others.

Back
Top Bottom