Do I need a powered amp?

rocketcity

I am currently running my Axe FXII into two QSC 12 powered speakers. Will I gain anything by adding a powered amp such as the Matrix series, or is it unnecessary?

I think the only thing you'd gain is a pair of nuked QSC's. Powered speakers contain amps already.

The Matrix is for use with passive speakers or guitar cabs etc.

Not unless you are going to run a passive backline of speakers. If you decide to go FRFR just go with the QSC12.
I prefer that set up due to the use of in-ear monitors to clean up the stage. If you go both ways, be prepared to run two separate outs to accommodate the eq of the QSC and whatever passive speaker/power amp you use. (BTW, I don't play super loud these days.)
Another benefit to FRFR is the ease of setup and breakdown. Sound engineers smile more too!

Some use a tube poweramp & guitarcab (cabsim of, poweramp sim on or off)
Some use a FRFR poweramp & guitarcab (Cab sim off,PA sim on)
Some use a FRFR Poveramp & passive cabs ( all sims on)
Some use Active FRFR amp/speakers. (all sims on)

Whats the best? Its subjective and no one got the answer although many claim finding gold.
Guess its easyer to use your presets in the FOH with full FRFR (PA & Cab).

Some use a tube poweramp & guitarcab (cabsim of, poweramp sim on or off)
Some use a FRFR poweramp & guitarcab (Cab sim off,PA sim on)
Some use a FRFR Poveramp & passive cabs ( all sims on)
Some use Active FRFR amp/speakers. (all sims on)

Whats the best? Its subjective and no one got the answer although many claim finding gold.
Guess its easyer to use your presets in the FOH with full FRFR (PA & Cab).

Tonight I tried turning the cab sims off and I was suprised! It really seemed to add some clarity to the factory presets and my QSC K12. Just curious if this is how most people are running the QSC?

Tonight I tried turning the cab sims off and I was suprised! It really seemed to add some clarity to the factory presets and my QSC K12. Just curious if this is how most people are running the QSC?

absolutely not. the k12 is a full range speaker, and technically speaking, you really should be using cab sims with that kind of speaker.

it may have added clarity, but that probably is because without the cab sims, a lot of bass frequencies were taken away. clarity is one thing, guitar tone is another. by chance, were you listening only to a clean tone and not a high-gain amp/tone?

i'd suggest turning the cab sims back on. then in the cab block, increase the Low Cut parameter. the k12 and other K Series QSC speakers hype the bass frequencies (and treble) a lot, so the speaker itself is quite boomy. (<--- haha)

make sure on the k12 itself you don't have the Extended Bass switch set on, making it hype the bass even more. i'd suggest setting it to normal, so you can hear what a full PA system's bass reproduction might sound like. cut the bass to create clarity on the axe-fx, and that clarity will be sent through to any other speaker system you use.

Dude. Listen EXACTLY to what this cat said.

absolutely not. the k12 is a full range speaker, and technically speaking, you really should be using cab sims with that kind of speaker.

it may have added clarity, but that probably is because without the cab sims, a lot of bass frequencies were taken away. clarity is one thing, guitar tone is another. by chance, were you listening only to a clean tone and not a high-gain amp/tone?

i'd suggest turning the cab sims back on. then in the cab block, increase the Low Cut parameter. the k12 and other K Series QSC speakers hype the bass frequencies (and treble) a lot, so the speaker itself is quite boomy. (<--- haha)

make sure on the k12 itself you don't have the Extended Bass switch set on, making it hype the bass even more. i'd suggest setting it to normal, so you can hear what a full PA system's bass reproduction might sound like. cut the bass to create clarity on the axe-fx, and that clarity will be sent through to any other speaker system you use.

Sweet! Thanks for the good info as usual.

Back
Top Bottom