Do I need a headphone amp with the II if I use higher impedance cans?

james...

Experienced
I just got some K701 headphones with are notorious for needing a good amp to drive them. Does the II have enough power to drive them already?

There is (almost) no relation between a "good (headphones-)amp" and "enough power". I'm using both Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (250 ohms) and AKG K601 on the Axe-Fx. Enough power? Yes, a lot actually. Good sound? I don't know, I never AB-compared the Axe-Fx' headphones out to a good amp. The reason why someone uses an (expensive) headphones amp is to make it sound good, not to make it louder.

Yes, the Axe FX will push them. If you want more volume you can adjust patches a little and push your headphones a little harder. I am currently using a Headamp6 from ART though as it allowed me to blend in a MP3 player to play along to and it really only get's a little louder then the Axe.

deftim13 said:
If you want more volume you can adjust patches a little and push your headphones a little harder.
That is really not necessary. With the AKG K601, I could almost blow my ears off with the OUT 1 knob at 10 o'clock.

There is (almost) no relation between a "good (headphones-)amp" and "enough power". I'm using both Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (250 ohms) and AKG K601 on the Axe-Fx. Enough power? Yes, a lot actually. Good sound? I don't know, I never AB-compared the Axe-Fx' headphones out to a good amp. The reason why someone uses an (expensive) headphones amp is to make it sound good, not to make it louder.

How are the DT770's compare?

While some people in this forum seem to like using the DT770 Pro with the Axe-Fx, I tend to use it for listening to music, watching movies or playing computer games. The mids are quite scooped and the bass sounds very tight and punchy, but at the end of the day, I like the AKG K601 better as they are significantly more comfortable and have a flatter frequency response, although they lack in low end. They also sound kind of similar to my Yamaha HS80M monitors.

What about 600ohm resistance? Is the Axe FX II headphone out capable of driving that impedance?

Headphone is personal taste if you buy one above 150$...
I had a chance to try many Headphones out with my Axe...
but finally i'm using the DT770 Pro 32Ohm Version because i use it also for my iPod & in loud environment...
So the DT770 Pro 32Ohm was the Loudest i could buy and btw very good Sounding.

I have a cheap pair of AKG K44 from Guitar Center for $19.99 on a sale. Believe it or not, they sound great. I have a pair of expensive V-Moda M-100 Cross Fades (Expensive headphones). I have NO IDEA WHY? But, those headphone sound aweful with my Axe-FX II. It sounds all bassy, muddy, and flubby. I bought them because I thought they would be amazing based on the reviews, but I think they are DJ headphones, so for some reason these $200 headphones sound aweful when plugged into my AFX-II.

I know my $20 headphones aren't the best, but they sure sound good. I almost prefer the sound with headphones more than playing though nice speakers. For bedroom volumes of course. But headphones allow ME to hear every nuance of the Axe-FX and at low volumes sound very good.

Anyone know why V-Moda Cross Fade M-100's would sound so bad on my AXE???? I was expecting it high end fidelity, but I got flubby really bassy sound.

. I'm using both Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (250 ohms)

I also use the DT770 headphones, which are considered to be in the "high impedance" bracket, and they work fine.
To my knowledge, the K701 is rated at 62ohms, which classifies them as low impedance.
You should not need an external amp for them.

I'm using low impedance headphones, but there is so much gain on the headphone jack that unless you are in search of hearing loss it should more than drive them adequately.

Back
Top Bottom