DMM Model Question

jshirkey

Experienced
When I use the DMM model, I'm finding that it sounds a bit washed out and reverb-y. My guitar doesn't quite cut through like I think it should. I haven't used an original DMM in quite a while, but I don't remember it sounding like this. I was wondering what parameters I should be looking at adjusting to try to offset how much it seems to put a blanket over my core tone. I need the echo repeats to stand out, so the mix level needs to be around 50%, so I can't cut the signal there. Level maybe?

Just curious if anyone has had a similar experience.

Thanks in advance.

Move the filter frequency for the high end roll off up?

Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 10.13.19 AM.png

Make the right side of that curve move higher by adjusted the High Cut parameter. That'll brighten up the repeats.

I've noticed that with the mix above @ 45%, the core signal volume seems to drop a bit. One suggestion would be to place the Delay block in parallel, set mix to 100% then use the Level to adjust the volume of your repeats.

i use the dmm precisely for that reason....washy and doesn't get in the way like a digital delay can.

I've noticed that with the mix above @ 45%, the core signal volume seems to drop a bit. One suggestion would be to place the Delay block in parallel, set mix to 100% then use the Level to adjust the volume of your repeats.
should read up on the mix law.

should read up on the mix law.
From Axe-Fx II Wiki:
Axe-Fx II firmware prior to v11:
"when using Mix to control the volume level of the delay, the volume level of the dry signal is affected also. In other words, when turning up the delay level, the dry signal's level decreases. To deal with this: turn up Mix to 50% and set Level to +6dB. Or put the Delay in a parallel row."

Axe-Fx II firmware 11 and later, AX8 and FX8:
"the behavior described above has changed. Release notes: "Changed mix law for Delay block. The dry signal now stays constant at unity until Mix reaches 50% then decreases linearly to zero. Conversely the wet signal starts at zero and then increases linearly to unity when Mix reaches 50%. This eliminates having to compensate for decreased dry signal when increasing the mix"."

While the dry signal's volume is fairly close to unity at 50%, there is still a perceived volume drop in the dry signal starting @ 45%. Regardless of how much or little volume drop there is, placing the Delay in parallel and using the Level parameter will give the OP greater control over the volume of the repeats which should solve his problem.

Thanks...I'll give it a try.

Will reply to the other responses in the thread when I have a chance.

Sorry, the AX8's latest firmware. I too am looking forward to having it updated on the FX8 as well, I like how the reworked version sounds in the AX8. Having both the AX8 and FX8 I tend to go between the two forums and forget which one I'm reading. Getting old is not as much fun as it used to be.

i use the dmm precisely for that reason....washy and doesn't get in the way like a digital delay can.

I know what you're getting at, but I've owned a lot of analog delays, and they don't change the overall tone the same way the DMM model does. I've never owned a vintage DMM, but, to my ears, there's something off. And it's not simply due to the nature of analog repeats vs. digital.

Expected soon?

Since you said you have heard it in the AX8 update, could you describe the difference?
Not sure how the FX8 updates work. To me the reworked version is warmer and more (I hate this word but it fits) 'organic'. Sits very weil in the tone and is now one of my favorites. This clip is using the DMM in Dual mode, 500ms and 330ms. Mix at 45% and Input Gain at 65%

It sounds good, although I would have thought the repeats would be more prominent at 45%. I might update my Axe FX and see if the delays have been overhauled in the latest FM.

With the input gain at 100% (the clip is at 65%) the repeats are more prominent. Setting the mix to 45% and using the input gain for the delay level seems to allow the delays to sit in the overall mix better.

With the input gain at 100% (the clip is at 65%) the repeats are more prominent. Setting the mix to 45% and using the input gain for the delay level seems to allow the delays to sit in the overall mix better.

Got it...I'll fiddle with my FX8 presets with the old DMM model in the meantime. Maybe what you've done here will help me as well.

Got it...I'll fiddle with my FX8 presets with the old DMM model in the meantime. Maybe what you've done here will help me as well.
Before the rework, I had to make some changes in the EQ for a lot of the delays work for me. For the DMM, I changed the Filter Slope to 12 dB/Oct, set the Q @ .600 and lower the High Cut to @ 1500Hz.

Back
Top Bottom