DMC Ground control pro users

Sixstring

Legend!
Ok so I stepped to a DMC Ground control pro from a Rocktron Midi Mate, how do you get the instant access buttons to work. I followed the manuel and it only gives you one place to assign a CC within the GCX menu example: (1.CH01 CTL004) or instant access button 1, Midi channel 01, controller value 4. All it will let me do is change ether the Midi channel or the controller #. None of the GCX / loop assignments are working which have all the right numbers to give me control of turning things on and off effects wise. Anybody have any suggestions ?

:eek:
i am a new user of the GCP controller and just experienced the EXACT same thing you did tonight.

i feel the answer must be in the gcx loops part because i cannot get more than one option for the other [1.CH001...], like you experienced

i eagerly await wisdom on this as well

I use a GCP version 1.0. It really is in the manual. If I recall it is in the setup mode. I will be with my rig in a couple of hours. Probably someone else will have answered it by then, but if not....

The Ground Control Pro allows you to use buttons 1 through 8 for instant access. Normally,
presets are organized in banks of 10. To use the Instant Access feature, you must select the “4
Presets/Bank” option. This frees the upper two rows since you only need the bottom row of 4
buttons to recall your presets.
To select the 4 preset/bank option, enter Setup mode by pressing both [SETUP MODE] buttons
at the same time, then press [UTILITY], followed by [SELECT 2]. The display should read:
Press [+/YES] to select “4 PRST/BANK”. Now you’re ready to setup your instant access buttons.
The factory setting is for buttons 1-8 to control loops 1-8 in GCX #1, respectively. You can
redefine each button to control any one of the following:
• Any loop of your GCX Guitar Audio Switcher(s).
• Start and Stop a MIDI sequencer.
• Send a MIDI continuous controller on/off message.
To configure your instant access buttons, enter Setup mode by pressing both [SETUP MODE]
buttons at the same time, then select this category by pressing [INSTANT ACCESS].
This display will show:

Since your not using a GCX then....
MIDI Continuous Controller On/Off
If you are using a multi-effects processor or a modeling amp, it is very likely that you can turn
its internal effects on and off with MIDI Continuous Controller (CC) messages. By assigning
CC messages to instant access buttons, you can control these internal effects just like a stompbox
pedal board. All you need to know is which MIDI channel (1-16) and controller numbers
(0-120) your device will respond to. Some devices will have the controller numbers fixed to
specific effects, and others will let you assign each controller to a different function.
With the cursor on the GCX #, press [+/YES] until the display shows:

1.CH01 CTL004
This indicates that Instant Access button #1 will control MIDI continuous controller #004 on
channel 1. You can use [CURSOR] to move between the channel and the controller number.
Then use [-/NO] and [+/YES] to select MIDI channels 1-16 and continuous controllers 0-120.
If you press [CURSOR 4] again, you can select between NORMAL, XMIT W/PRSET and
MOMENTARY. Here’s what that means:

NORMAL. The CC message is only sent when you press the instant access button. You press
it once to turn it on, then again to turn it off.
XMIT W/PRSET. This stands for “Transmit with Preset”. When you call up a preset on the
Ground Control Pro, it will send out the current state (on or off) of this instant access
button. Of course it turns on and off when you press the button too.
MOMENTARY. This option means that it sends an “on” message when the instant access
button is pressed, then sends an “off ” message when it is released.

Ref. Page 10-11 from GCP manual:
http://www.voodoolab.com/manuals/gcpro_manual.pdf

I just set the Axe Midi in to Omni and then assigned with the learn function on the Axe. As the Axe and the GCPro are the only midi devices I use, I don't have to care about channels or anything.

I was planning to somewhere in the future also switch vocal effects with the GC simultaneously to the Axe, that might change things ...

Ok Revelation ..... When you get into the instant access mode, Display should look like this (1.CH01 CTL001) Now with the CH# blinking you have to scroll down once with the select/Bank button to get to the next IA button#. Then using the +/yes button scroll down (push the button 5 times) until you get to the next CTL option and repeat the steps until you have all 8 IA buttons programmed. If the manuel had read like that I would have been done in minuets WTF.

Axe Disciple said:
:eek:
i am a new user of the GCP controller and just experienced the EXACT same thing you did tonight.

i feel the answer must be in the gcx loops part because i cannot get more than one option for the other [1.CH001...], like you experienced

i eagerly await wisdom on this as well

Too funny, Seams like we were both baking are grey matter to find this simple solution. I worked on this from 9:00 pm until 12:30 am. All they have to do is write the frick'n manuel so one can understand it ... jeez.

Sixstring said:
I worked on this from 9:00 pm until 12:30 am. All they have to do is write the frick'n manuel so one can understand it ... jeez.

I went thru the same thing until I finally understood what was going on after reading it a zillion times over and over. :lol: Dojo's instructions are spot on.

finstah said:
Sixstring said:
I worked on this from 9:00 pm until 12:30 am. All they have to do is write the frick'n manuel so one can understand it ... jeez.

I went thru the same thing until I finally understood what was going on after reading it a zillion times over and over. :lol: Dojo's instructions are spot on.

I did the same thing, over and over until I couldn't see straight. The instructions may be spot on but 1, you need to think like an engineer and 2, you need read between the lines or need some sort of a miracle as to stumble on to the right steps, I'm a guitar player that considers him self to be somewhat of a tech head but this part of the manuel that Voodoo Lab wrote and Dojo spelled out verbatim doesn't read anything like how I described the steps in my previous post. It seams to me that fewer words to get you where you need to be sooner makes a lot more sense. Bottom line is a little more clarification in this portion of the manuel would have saved you, I and countless others wads of time that we'll all never get back.

Sixstring said:
I did the same thing, over and over until I couldn't see straight. The instructions may be spot on but 1, you need to think like an engineer and 2, you need read between the lines or need some sort of a miracle as to stumble on to the right steps, I'm a guitar player that considers him self to be somewhat of a tech head but this part of the manuel that Voodoo Lab wrote and Dojo spelled out verbatim doesn't read anything like how I described the steps in my previous post. It seams to me that fewer words to get you where you need to be sooner makes a lot more sense. Bottom line is a little more clarification in this portion of the manuel would have saved you, I and countless others wads of time that we'll all never get back.

It could be worse. It could read like a Digitech or Eventide manual. :)

Timing is Everything! I think I'll print this out. I'm getting my new GCP on monday and probably Never figured this out. Thanks so much for sharing the info!

finstah said:
Sixstring said:

It could be worse. It could read like a Digitech or Eventide manual. :)

I have dealt with Digitech products but not Eventide. I here their manuel is a bear to deal with. I'm just glad I was able to get everything working ... well almost, I still have to wire up the CC pedals which I will do this coming week get them programed and assigned to parameters.

Disclaimer: I enjoy old bumps... but I gots a question

GuitarDojo said:
[quote:3tl3pfin]...you can select between NORMAL, XMIT W/PRSET and
MOMENTARY. Here’s what that means:

NORMAL. The CC message is only sent when you press the instant access button. You press
it once to turn it on, then again to turn it off.
XMIT W/PRSET. This stands for “Transmit with Preset”. When you call up a preset on the
Ground Control Pro, it will send out the current state (on or off) of this instant access
button. Of course it turns on and off when you press the button too.
MOMENTARY. This option means that it sends an “on” message when the instant access
button is pressed, then sends an “off ” message when it is released.

[/quote:3tl3pfin]

Just to be clear (cause this would be perfect) XMIT with Preset will allow me to keep the delay on for one preset while switching to another so I don't have to turn it back on again after it defaults to an off position? And then, I can assign it to different buttons, like commonly used effects (delay).

And finally, can I tell the axe FX to use the same CC# for phaser, chorus, and flange, and as long as I don't have a preset with more than one of those, I can turn off or on essentially my "modulation" effects based on what preset I'm in?

Back
Top Bottom