Djent sount?

Mantra46

Hi guys, I can't for the life of me find a Djent preset that is both heavy and crisp - does anyone have any ideas?

thanks

Hi guys, I can't for the life of me find a Djent preset that is both heavy and crisp - does anyone have any ideas?

thanks

Dude I got answers for you that I feel you will absolutely appreciate greatly. I'll help you step by step to get you this tone as I have been doing this tone for a while now.

There is a few things I need to know first.

- What guitar your using and tuning your using.
- what power amp are you using (tube or solid state)
- Do you have Axe Fx II, if so which version? XL, Mark I or Mark II??

- What amp model and cab you are working with at the moment

- give me a band that you dig tone wise, just 1 Band please.

Answer those questions and I will work with you step by step on what to do. It took me 6 weeks to find a good tone dude... it fucking stinks but now my tone is fucking sic dude.

Thanks for your responses guys.

I have an M8M with standard tuning (8th string is F), AXE FX2 MK1 and go straight into the PA, i guess the one band would have to be meshuggah. I've tried the tone matches and fucked around for ages but can't get something that is both really heavy and crisp. Not that i need to sound exactly like meshhy obviously, just want heavy with clarity. thanks

Okay my set up is through a Mesa Power amp which is Fairley more different than direct. But I am guessing that your dealing with a Good tone but no bottom end therefore dealing with to Much high gain resulting ear piecing at high volumes. ... or you get the thickness you want but too beefy and little to no crisp..

Dude if your having this issue, I can fix you up.

Since I'm not home to mess with a direct sound to pa, can we follow up on this matter on a Sunday evening? I can tell you my set up now but it may be a bit different for a direct sound with me using a power amp tubes. Either way, I figured this issue out and I can help you. Let's follow up on sunday. I'll put a reminder on my phone and I'll post a block Chain and me playing on my 7 String which btw is a 72 gauge but get thick lows but crisp highs. I get both low end and crisp punch.

I'll upload a video of me playing with my set up and guide you to your solution. We will talk soon.

Thanks for your responses guys.

I have an M8M with standard tuning (8th string is F), AXE FX2 MK1 and go straight into the PA, i guess the one band would have to be meshuggah. I've tried the tone matches and fucked around for ages but can't get something that is both really heavy and crisp. Not that i need to sound exactly like meshhy obviously, just want heavy with clarity. thanks

Okay so I went to my friends house during Band practice and used my vocalist PA system for the speakers but still used my Power Amp to power the axe Fx II. My global set up was CAB simulation ACTIVE and power amp Sim off.

My current set-up needed to be adjusted because the sound was much different going direct verse a real tube power amp. In the sense of playing Direct, having a Tube power amp colors the tone drastically where as having a real cab, it sounds much more real sounding.

But that's my opinion. Hopfully, you have a solid state power amp unless your using a PA system to power up the Axe fx. If that's the case, Turn on power amp Sim on and cab sim on.

Below are some presets to try. Since we have a different way how we use the axe fx, use this set up as a guide to lead you to your desired taste.

From left to right using AXE Edit:

Input Gate (turn this off by turning the threshold far left until it says off)

[Gate/expander]---[Drive (ZEN Master)]---[Compressor (hard)]---[PEQ]--[empty]---[empty]---[AMP (Euro) use Tones tack JVM O2]---[CAB #73 4x12 or you can use what I use Citrus v30 or a rector cab]

Just put this together and worry about settings later. After putting all this together, put all blocks on bypass except the amp and cab.

Since Euro is the bogner model, you may notice right away that it sounds dark. Here is my recommended settings on the amp:

Bass 5, mids 3.50, treble 7 (anything lower than 7 starts to sound less punchy and more warmer as well as cloudy. Input gain 4.5 (do not use allot of gain for Djent purposes, use presence tastefully (nothing past 6.50), turn on bright switch and move it down to 11'clockb)

Make sure the saturation switch is off.

Okay, your tone at this point should sound bassy with high end and maybe slightly dark..... now worrit's if it does or not.

Now turn on the drive block which should be set to ZEN Master. Also turn on the gate (I'll get into the gate settings later.)

For the drive, turn gain up to 2 which should sit directly at the 9 o'clock position. Put bass at 11 o'clock position, put mid frequency at 12 o'clock position, put mids at 2oclock position, turn treble at 11 o'clock postion. Use the low cut to taste but leave high CUT alone.

Gate settings. For djent, highly suggest you put the threshold to -38, attach at 1.70, ratio no higher than 4.50, hold on 3 and release on 3

TEST Tone from here and adjust accordingly messing with the knobs on the drive and amp (don't get crazy, you can earlier spend hours here)

Once your somewhat satisfied, turn on PEQ. No this part is very important.... your goal here to boost your equipment frequencies that your ear feel it lacks. This part of the equipment can take time if your not used to using this type of eq. Don't waist your time on the equipment settings in the amp block. The PEQ can do very good things for you hear. Some people put the PEQ after the amp and cab block. Yes, you will hear a big difference, but it changes your entire tone overall. By putting the PEQ before the amp and cab block, your essentially fine tunings the characteristics of your guitar which will sound much more natural.

Last is the compressor.... this is purely your choice, I recommend this because the gate threshold being so tight, yor will need a compressor to give you long lasting sustain to go against the gate. Do not go crazy with the ratio. Try -30 threshold, 2 ration, 3 or 5 for attach, 100ms on release or less and hold I leave it to defualt.

*** I used the PEQ as a mild bass and mid boost and the added Minor gain the high end***

Try this and post your feedback.

Last edited:
I want to stress the Tone Stack option And use model JVM O2. This is a Marshall cab. You will need this dude. It just add punch. I suggest that you put the Tone stack frequency at 650 and nothing higher or lower.

Without the stack dude it's just 1 thick sounding tone. Try this and get back to me here.

Thanks a lot for putting in so much time to help. few questions;
- which euro amp to use (red/blue/uber?)
- With the cabs - am I just putting 2 in series with the same cab?
- this comment "turn on bright switch and move it down to 11'clockb)" what dial am I moving to 11 oclock? as bright is a switch
- any advice on the PEQ on where to start? I'm not really sure what to tweak here

Thanks a lot for putting in so much time to help. few questions;
- which euro amp to use (red/blue/uber?)
- With the cabs - am I just putting 2 in series with the same cab?
- this comment "turn on bright switch and move it down to 11'clockb)" what dial am I moving to 11 oclock? as bright is a switch
- any advice on the PEQ on where to start? I'm not really sure what to tweak here

The Euro Uber is the amp model.

As for the cab set up, stack up the cab (1 on top, 1 on bottom) and make sure you link both the to the chain.

As for the bright settings, switch the bright on. On axe edit, you should see a knob that says Bright, it should sit between Treble and Presence. Turn that knob to about -2.00 or -1.

Put the presence to 7 the max but ideally I think 6.50 is fine. Treble at 7 with bass at 5.

Also, next to the bright switch, their is a bright Capital knob, keep that at 550.0pF and make sure the saturation switch is off.

Since your using a PA system, I'll highly suggest you look into the zilla cab PACK that was posted her. I purchased but then found out its no use to me since I use real cabs. Even if I turn on amp modeling, it will like crappie because you can't amp Sim on real cabs.

So I have this pack purchased today for nothing... but you use a PA so it would work well for you.

Thanks guys, i'll try out the Zilla pack as well.

Freddy - starting to shape up now, it's probably a little bit bass heavy and still a bit buddy - Do I tackle this In the PEQ? thanks again

Thanks guys, i'll try out the Zilla pack as well.

Freddy - starting to shape up now, it's probably a little bit bass heavy and still a bit buddy - Do I tackle this In the PEQ? thanks again

Yes it will give you a bass heavy feel, but you can tackle this in the Drive settings and utilize the Low cut knob and mids. Try this set up on the drive block

Drive pedel: ZEN Master or External Love
Drive: set to 2 or 1.50
Bass: 11 o'clock position
Mid Frequency: 750hz
Mids: between 2 and 3 o'clock
Treble: leave it noon

Once you are to those settings, adjust the woofy bass sound using the Low cut in the drive.

Don't go crazy with it as you need some bottom end. When you get to so somega satisfaction, tackle the rest with the PEQ

You want to focus using the PEQ to lower the left side as that area is your lows and bottom end. You can start by reducing the gain and then use the frequency knob and Q Knob to create a DIP cut on the low side. Do not place the PEQ after the amp block.

Well I know what's in the Periphery III preset. That's the Friedman HBE through Misha Mix 08 from Cab Pack 13. No drive pedal. ;)
I got a question for you that I think you may know the answer to. Lately I've seen Misha's tone references in terms of cab packs, however, do you happen to know about After THE Burial's tone?

Well I know what's in the Periphery III preset. That's the Friedman HBE through Misha Mix 08 from Cab Pack 13. No drive pedal. ;)
Lol I knew it wasn't the 6160. I would assume it changes record to record for them. Any Idea what they used on P2? I think it was 6160 for the amp.

Back
Top Bottom