DIY midi interface for Axe-FX, footcontroller and computer

David dP

Hi !

Following this thread, here's a presentation on how I solved the recurring problem of not being able to connect the Axe-FX to a computer and a footcontroller
without having to change the cabling.

It's a passive connection box with two 4PDT switches.
One switch is assigned to the controller, the other to the Axe-FX
Each switch has two positions : Send and Link.

Both switches on Link : Axe-FX <-> Controller
Controller switch on Send : Controller <-> Computer
Axe-FX switch on Send : Axe-FX <-> Computer
Both switches on Send : BIG NO NO !!

Of course, when I say "computer", in mean the computer's midi interface. In my case, a Fireface 400.

In each case, the bidirectionnal link is preserved.
The phantom power to the controller is preserved at all times.

First, here's the wiring diagram (sorry for the large picture... I wanted to keep it readable):

As you'll see, there's no ground connection on the Midi In from the computer. I had one in the beginning, and that created a ground loop (can you spell H.U.M. ?).

interfacewiring.png

I cut my Rocktron 7-pin midi cable into sections :
A long one for the connection between the rack and the controller. At one end, I kept the midi plug. At the other end, I soldered a 7-pin XLR male plug.
The other end of the original cable is attached to the connection box, with the midi plug plugged into the Axe-FX
I also cut a few pieces of cable for the internal wiring of the box.

Here are some picture...
First, the front and back plates, ordered (with the top, bottom and sides) at Schaeffer AG (Germany). The casing is the most expensive part of this unit : 98€.
It doesn't HAVE to be this luxirious, but I wanted it to look good...

Attached to the plates are : Two 4PDT switches (9.94€ ea. at Farnell), one 7-pin female XLR socket, two 5-pin midi sockets.

i_frontbackplates.jpg

The wiring looks like this (the ground wire between midi out and midi in has been removed since):

i_wired.jpg

The wires in the midi cable are so thin, the only practical way to strip their ends was... with my teeth.

That's how the finished box looks, on top of my rack :

i_front.jpg

i_back.jpg

And once installed in the rack :

i_finished.jpg

As you see, I also built a cabling interface, at the bottom of the rack. Left to right : Firewire (to Fireface), Out1 L/R (from Fireface, connected to my monitors),
Out2 L/R (from Fireface), 7-pin Controller, Midi In/Out from the second midi channel of the Fireface, for my keyboard.
In case you're wondering, the cable connected directly to the Fireface is my microphone.
With the routing capabilities of the Fireface, I can send it to input 2 of the Axe-FX for the vocal processing.

I hope this can help someone build a similar unit.

Cheers,
David

Hi David,

Nice work, it looks great. Are those from and back plates engraved? The lettering looks very neat.

I've just been struggling with a Midi Solutions Merger setup but got it working once I found out there was a problem with the Merger itself. I was interested in your "manual" switching version. Out of interest, do you have any communication problems switching manually like this. I assume that as long as you have the switches in the correct positions before a send/receive then it works OK. Am I right in saying that the Midi protocol is not looking for a continuous connection while it is inactive.

One other question - you say "Both switches on Send : BIG NO NO !!" What happens if you do this?

Thanks
Tony

tony_cb said:
Nice work, it looks great. Are those from and back plates engraved? The lettering looks very neat.
Thanks ! Yes, the lettering is engraved. Take a look here

Out of interest, do you have any communication problems switching manually like this. I assume that as long as you have the switches in the correct positions
before a send/receive then it works OK. Am I right in saying that the Midi protocol is not looking for a continuous connection while it is inactive.
No problem as of now. As long as no data tranfer is occuring, I can switch between the different connexions. I'm not sure it is "protocol-compliant", but it works. ;)

One other question - you say "Both switches on Send : BIG NO NO !!" What happens if you do this?
I don't know !! It is possible that everything will be fine as long as two devices don't try to send data simultaneously. If that would happen, the data would definitely get mixed up irremediably.
But since midi is a current loop, it is also possible that it causes electrical problems. Basically, I'm not eager to try that out. :?

Thanks for your interest !

David

Merci David.

I will assume that you built the box your self? It would be great to be able to purchase this.

marsodude said:
I will assume that you built the box your self? It would be great to be able to purchase this.

Yes, I built it myself.
It took me and my two right hands (I'm lefthanded... ;) ) approx. 6 hours, including the custom cabling, installation in the rack etc... Also including testing of each and every single solder joint for continuity (I was sooooo confident in my soldering abilities :oops: ).

I wondered for a minute whether I would accept to build a couple of copies for interrested people.
Honestly, I don't have the time to do that (a very full time job, a wife, two young kids, a band,...).
Plus, because I can't build the cases myself and have to order them, pre-drilled, engraved and all, I think it gets stupidly expensive. If it wasn't a DIY project, I'd never have paid more than 50€ for it, which is half the price of the case alone.

Of course, one can never say never, but I think it is more reasonnable from me to offer the CAD files for the case. With the above wiring diagram, it should be really easy to build the same interface.

Re: DIY midi interface for Axe-FX, footcontroller and comput

Nice job. Well thought-out and creative solution to a problem common to many of us AFX users..... good job. I may try something along these lines, sometime. No doubt yours looks much more professional than anything I'd be able to cobble together, but the bones are there - great concept.

Re: DIY midi interface for Axe-FX, footcontroller and comput

David dP said:
[quote="tony_cb":ydainptm]Nice work, it looks great. Are those from and back plates engraved? The lettering looks very neat.
Thanks ! Yes, the lettering is engraved. Take a look here

David[/quote:ydainptm]

David,

Very nice project you have their. I did one for myself, but compared to yours mine is very very amateuristic ;)

thanks for the engraved lettering-link. that alone makes it look very professional.

Back
Top Bottom