Distorted tone help

Oshin

Hi there,

Since updating to FW 26 I am having trouble getting my distorted tones sounding right, there is this unpleasant low end build up as well as strange harsh hi end. Overall my tone is lacking punch and definition to me. My go to is the 5153 100watt blue with a YA Mesa OS V30 57/121 mix. I used to use a YA Friedman 57/121 mix for second guitar but they are too shrill now. Axe FX 3 is used as interface with Yamaha HS 7 monitors.
Things I have tried. Reinstalling FW 26 several times, resetting everything, restoring to factory settings, deleted user cabs and reinstalled, hi and low cuts in the amp and cab blocks, watched a heap of videos especially Leon Todd's, checked input monitoring is not on in my DAW, checked leads, gave my ears a break for a few days, changes strings and checked intonation on my guitar and tried a different guitar.I have been using Fractal since the Ultra, not sure what's going on, am I possibly missing something in the settings? Also no global EQ's being used.

Any ideas would be appreciated, thank you.

can you share a sound sample ? Even if someone’s else opinion is not what really matter in term of your tone, but it can help if there is something « obvious »

What is the best way to upload a sample? I don't have Soundcloud or anything like that. Thank you.

What is the best way to upload a sample? I don't have Soundcloud or anything like that. Thank you.
You can't really upload audio.

Sign up for SoundCloud or some other free hosting service, upload there are share a link.

Have you reverted back to FW 25 to confirm it's really an issue with the firmware?

Also, post a preset that demonstrates the issue.

Do you hear the same thing in headphones?

You can't really upload audio.

Sign up for SoundCloud or some other free hosting service, upload there are share a link.

Have you reverted back to FW 25 to confirm it's really an issue with the firmware?

Also, post a preset that demonstrates the issue.

Do you hear the same thing in headphones?
Okay thanks mate. No I haven't reverted back to FW 25 yet, I doubt it has anything to do with the FW but could be worth a try. My headphones always sound shrill and bad so not a good comparison. Is it okay to share a preset even if it has 3rd party YA Irs? Also I run a basic set up, just amp and cab dry for home recording. I have moved away from the 5153 for the time being.

Okay thanks mate. No I haven't reverted back to FW 25 yet, I doubt it has anything to do with the FW but could be worth a try. My headphones always sound shrill and bad so not a good comparison. Is it okay to share a preset even if it has 3rd party YA Irs? Also I run a basic set up, just amp and cab dry for home recording.
The reason I asked if you reverted is because you said the problem started with FW 26.

You shouldn't share a preset with 3rd party IRs.

You could try to substitute factory cabs and list the specific YA IRs you're using since many people here may have the same packs.

Is it possible your noise gate is set too high? Sounds like a very aggressive setting. IMO if it is set too high, it tends to make the tone sound unnatural.
I was thinking the same.

May want to visit the input noise gate as well as any added gates.

Where is your low and high cut?
Have you tried using the RTA to look for annoying peak frequencies and EQing them out with a parametric after the cab block?
Possible you have room modes in the mid-bass that are being activated by your IR choice?

Thank you everyone for your advice, please see below for preset. As mentioned in my original post I am using YA Mesa OS 4x12 57/121with the 121 -10db and sometimes the YA FDMN 4x12 57/121-10db. I just substituted a YA Mesa that's already in the Axe FX. I do go between gain at 3 and 2. 2 more so for recording with double tracking.

I have tried the PEQ sweep technique however as I am recording I usually do that with the EQ in Logic Pro X. The tones I am going for a for recording, not live.

Out of interest how do people approach dialling in recording tones? Do you heavily shape the tone before recording or leave it for mixing? I will add my set up is in an untreated bedroom.

I appreciate it is difficult to diagnose through a forum, especially with tone being subjective. I have always struggled to get that open percussive sound that I hear in my head.

Attachments

• EVH 5153.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 10
Where is your low and high cut?
Have you tried using the RTA to look for annoying peak frequencies and EQing them out with a parametric after the cab block?
Possible you have room modes in the mid-bass that are being activated by your IR choice?
Thank you kypen, Im sorry but what do you mean by 'room modes in the mid-bass that are being activated by your IR choice?'

Thank you to all those who suggested the noise gate, it has freed the tone up. For some reason I haven't messed with the input noise gate, I use a setting that came in a blocks library but now I think it was probably meant for live.

I have had the exact same problem (for longer than just FW26) and have been trying to dial it out for a while with different things. I'll have to mess around with the gate some more too.

Back
Top Bottom