Display on Original AFX2

felken

Inspired
As title says the display has changed so the text is very dim and there is now a little fan noise. This is a gen 1 unit and the case has never been opened. How best to proceed? Obviously no warranty and I am ok around electronics.

contact support.fractalaudio.com
I guess. But not real interested in shipping it back for repairs. Hoping it is a simple components swap plus new battery since its old and case will be opened. Anyone have similar with older unit. It has been rock solid for a long time. No complaints.

I guess. But not real interested in shipping it back for repairs. Hoping it is a simple components swap plus new battery since its old and case will be opened. Anyone have similar with older unit. It has been rock solid for a long time. No complaints.
no one on the forum can help you with this most likely. we are just customers. some staff is here, but they'd point you to support as well if you need to get the part. maybe they won't tell you to ship it back.

support would know the best answer, that's all i'm trying to say.

no one on the forum can help you with this most likely. we are just customers. some staff is here, but they'd point you to support as well if you need to get the part. maybe they won't tell you to ship it back.

support would know the best answer, that's all i'm trying to say.
I know. It's appreciated, but there may be others w similar experience. I will contact fractal though.

I assume you mean the display is dim, not the text.

I don't know of a fix for brightness, but you can adjust the text contrast in the utility page. That may make it easier to read until you get the display fixed.

As title says the display has changed so the text is very dim and there is now a little fan noise. This is a gen 1 unit and the case has never been opened. How best to proceed? Obviously no warranty and I am ok around electronics.

I have an Axe-Fx MK-I and the display went fuzzy and dim. It was a loose ribbon connector. I re-seated the connector and it’s been fine ever since.

As for the fan noise, could be the bearings. Just like a PC fan, they eventually get noisy and sometimes seize up. I don’t hear a peep from mine, I replaced it with a Noctua fan. Here’s a link to some pics I took of the process.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-ii-mk-i-fan-size.139670/page-2#post-1657523

I have an Axe-Fx MK-I and the display went fuzzy and dim. It was a loose ribbon connector. I re-seated the connector and it’s been fine ever since.

As for the fan noise, could be the bearings. Just like a PC fan, they eventually get noisy and sometimes seize up. I don’t hear a peep from mine, I replaced it with a Noctua fan. Here’s a link to some pics I took of the process.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-ii-mk-i-fan-size.139670/page-2#post-1657523

Agreed - the text on my display was very faint - I re-seated the ribbon connector and it fixes it - the only problem for me is that it must keep pushing itself out - because it only lasts for like a week - then it goes back to being dim... I have pretty much conceded because I refuse to take it out of the rack and open it up every week.

I will try reseating ribbon cable. Guess I will order fan first and replace it since case will be opened. Might as well do battery also while at it. Anyone know what battery it takes offhand. Thanks for all the replies and help also.

Agreed - the text on my display was very faint - I re-seated the ribbon connector and it fixes it - the only problem for me is that it must keep pushing itself out - because it only lasts for like a week - then it goes back to being dim... I have pretty much conceded because I refuse to take it out of the rack and open it up every week.

I can't remember what it looks like inside, but have you thought about using a couple dabs of silicone to hold it in place? You could even try some electrical tape or even a tie-wrap.

Yeah, no matter how it is adjusted it does not work right anymore. There is some text visibility at 100% contrast and reduces with lower values, the pic does not show it though as the text is so faint the camera does not pick it up.

I think the display has gone bad. Fractal no longer stocking that part, asking them for mfr p/n if they have it.

Well, the bad news is that the lcd was a custom part made for Fractal and is no longer available. Ouch!

I was planning on selling the II when the FM3 is available so I guess my AFX II value just decreased.

Anyone have a spare AFXII LCD lol?

Last edited:
Did you try to reseat the display ribbon cable and wiggle it around, etc. (I see you were going to try that; maybe even try a bit of contact cleaner on all connections)? I had a faded display on my II and Fractal sent me a replacement cable that fit the connector much tighter and corrected the faded display. I dabbed a bit of silicone to hold it more securely and it has worked ever since.

Back
Top Bottom