Direct Scene Select

slinky005

Power User
Looked at the manual but I must be doing something wrong.
I have a Roland FC-300 controller and trying to send CC messages to recall specific scenes as opposed to inc and dec which is how I do it now.
So essentially if I'm on scene 1, I want to be able to jump directly to scene 4 for example.
I don't understand the how the scene select value in the I/O menu comes into play.

Looked at the manual but I must be doing something wrong.
I have a Roland FC-300 controller and trying to send CC messages to recall specific scenes as opposed to inc and dec which is how I do it now.
So essentially if I'm on scene 1, I want to be able to jump directly to scene 4 for example.
I don't understand the how the scene select value in the I/O menu comes into play.

The default CC for scene select is 34.
To jump to scene 4 you must program a switch to send CC34 with a value of 3.

More info:
Preset scenes - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Don't use PC-to-Scene mapping in I/O > MIDI. That's for other purposes.

The default CC for scene select is 34.
To jump to scene 4 you must program a switch to send CC34 with a value of 3.

More info:
Preset scenes - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Don't use PC-to-Scene mapping in I/O > MIDI. That's for other purposes.

I never went beyond sending a CC# to change a parameter.
In other words CC#24 turns on the delay.
No idea how to tell CC#24 to send a value other than 24.
I'll look in the FC manual but not sure what I'm looking for.

Figured it out.
The CC# has a range from 0 - 127.
I changed the low and high value to the same number.
Thx Yek. It wasn't obvious.

Reactions: yek
I have an FC-300 that i use for switching scenes. It requires some tweaking of the footswitch parameters to get it working. I'll post my settings when I am at home & have a chance to get it hooked up.

Basically because the scenes use a CC with a value, you can't set it up to easily change from any paticular scene to another particular scene. The only way I've been able to figure out how to set it up is to put the FC-300 in CC mode. Pedal 1-3 change from scene 1 to scene 4 but because of how the footswitches work you have to switch to a scene, switch back to scene one, then switch to another scene. (ie you have tap FS1 to go to scene two, then tap it again to return back to scene one before using another FS to switch to a different scene. You cant tap FS3 to go to scene 4 directly from scene 2, because when you "untap" FS3 it will drop you back to scene 1 and not the last scene you were on. This then makes the FS indicator LEDs not accurately reflect what scene you are in)

Basically if you operate the footswitches in unlatched mode and are sending a CC and value, when you lift your foot it will resend the CC with a zero value, which makes the Axe switch back to scene 1. In latched mode, it's the same but requires that second footswitch press.

If you figure out a way to have the footswitch send a cc&value without sending another CC&value when released, let me know!

Last edited:
I have an FC-300 that i use for switching scenes. It requires some tweaking of the footswitch parameters to get it working. I'll post my settings when I am at home & have a chance to get it hooked up.

Basically because the scenes use a CC with a value, you can't set it up to easily change from any paticular scene to another particular scene. The only way I've been able to figure out how to set it up is to put the FC-300 in CC mode. Pedal 1-3 change from scene 1 to scene 4 but because of how the footswitches work you have to switch to a scene, switch back to scene one, then switch to another scene. (ie you have tap FS1 to go to scene two, then tap it again to return back to scene one before using another FS to switch to a different scene. You cant tap FS3 to go to scene 4 directly from scene 2, because when you "untap" FS3 it will drop you back to scene 1 and not the last scene you were on. This then makes the FS indicator LEDs not accurately reflect what scene you are in)

Basically if you operate the footswitches in unlatched mode and are sending a CC and value, when you lift your foot it will resend the CC with a zero value, which makes the Axe switch back to scene 1. In latched mode, it's the same but requires that second footswitch press.

If you figure out a way to have the footswitch send a cc&value without sending another CC&value when released, let me know!

Well after reporting having figured this out, you're right, this is very complicated.
The first time I programmed one of the pedals it worked.
After changing the scene manually to see if it would work again, it didn't.
The only way it does work is if I go back into the FC and change it from Latch to Momentary or vice versa.
So from what I can gather, this is not going to happen with this controller.

Well, it kind of works half-assed. Basically you can change from scene 1 to another scene, but you then have to change back to scene 1 before selecting a 3rd scene.

Well, it kind of works half-assed. Basically you can change from scene 1 to another scene, but you then have to change back to scene 1 before selecting a 3rd scene.

Kind of defeats the purpose.
At a minimum I would like to be able to do what you're doing but it's not happening for me.

Okay, so mine is configured like this...

PDL1:Assign CC# 34
PDL1:Range 0-1
PDL1:Mode Latch

PDL2:Assign CC# 34
PDL2:Range 0-2
PDL2:Mode Latch

PDL3:Assign CC# 34
PDL3:Range 0-3
PDL3:Mode Latch

So how I use it is; in standard mode I select my preset. I then set the unit in CC mode. Once in CC mode I switch from scene 1 to scene 2 or 3 or 4 using PDL1,2,3 respectively. Once I have switched to a scene other than scene 1, I need to depress the same pedal to switch back to scene 1 before choosing a different scene.

I tried changing mode to momentary and then changing the range to 0-0,1-1,2-2,3-3 but it just didn't work as expected. It works the first time after you write the settings but it's like, once you've used that cc value, you can't use it again. You could probably get it to work right in patch mode, but that's above my green belt midi kung-fu level.

It's a shame really because otherwise it's a really nice, solidly built foot controller.

Last edited:
You could work around this using values 0-8, 1-9, etc.

This works! And the best thing is it seems so totally obvious once you think of it. Me love you long time!

This setup switches scenes 1-4 using pedals one to 4.

PDL1:Assign CC# 34
PDL1:Range 0-8
PDL1:Mode Momentary

PDL2:Assign CC# 34
PDL2:Range 1-9
PDL2:Mode Momentary

PDL3:Assign CC# 34
PDL3:Range 2-10
PDL3:Mode Momentary

PDL4:Assign CC# 34
PDL4:Range 3-11
PDL4:Mode Momentary

Thanks so much Bakerman, you've saved me a great deal of tap dancing!!

Back
Top Bottom