Direct recording problem

FastTempoFever

Hi!!
Sorry if this question has alredy been answered a lot of times but I' m a total noob and after reading a lot of posts in the forum I' m only more confused.
My signal path is: Axe fx output 1 L/R> Scarlett 2i2> Energy speakers
My problem is that I hear an awesome sound coming out from the speakers when i play, but when I record it with Reaper and listen to the recorded sound with headphones I just hear a really bad sound. I'm probably missing a lot of things but I really want to record something good with the Axe and i hope that someone can help me solve this problem.

FastTempoFever - Sorry to hear you are having some issues with getting a good recording. I may not be able to get you completely fixed, but lets try a couple of things. First, if you haven't already, I'd turn off your powered speakers and listen to your non-recording playing via the same headphones you are using when listen back to your recorded music. (You wouldn't be the first to dislike the sound when using a pair of headphones.) If that isn't the issue (and I'm not really expecting that it is), you might try using a USB cable direct from your AxeFXII into your computer (as I believe it is going through the 2i2 between these two sources), as that is how I record with my AxeFXII. I am using Logic Pro X, so I am unfamiliar with the specific settings in Reaper, but I would check to make sure your input channel is low enough so your signal doesn't reach up into the red (zero and above on most DAW). You can also try just an amp and a mono cab IR, to make it super simple. Good luck!

Cheers,

Lee

Hi, thanks for the reply, I tried what you have sugested me yesterday but unfortunately with no good results. The problem is that every distortion sound on the Axe fx sound bad whan recorded, no matter what I try to change. Is there maybe something I'm missing in the Daw? Maybe some settings that make my sound this bad?

What is the bad in your sound? Clipping, eq, phase problems? Send us a clip and the preset?

Ok, here's the preset, I can't share any link already and the forum doesn't allow me to upload any file, how can I send it to you?

Attachments

• Recto Vintage.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 0
Well I record with Reaper with an usb cable and using headphones. The output 1 knob on the Axe i have it just a bit before 9 o'clock otherwise it goes in to the red and this will certainly make it sound bad. I don't even do any post processing in reaper just use it to do some recording and it sounds ok to me. There are some tutorial vids on YouTube for reaper. That's what I did. This is what it sounds when i record using usb and headphones with reaper just the guitar on its own:

Last edited:
Black Bitch- That's a really good sound!! Can I ask you what are your ASIO settings in reaper? I can't find the tutorials you are talking about on you tube and after hearing your recordings I really wanna try out to record like you do

I don't know by heart - I'll have the chekck this when the axe is fired up again. But I got it from one of the tutorial vids in YouTube. Here is one for instance from Chris, who has the Axe FX Turorial Site and I think you get all the info there. Give it a try and I check my settings when the axe is connected again:

Back
Top Bottom