Direct Monitoring into DAW/Volume Control

equivocal

Hello!

I've been direct monitoring/recording through Logic, (i.e. FM9 straight into Macbook via USB). As we're all aware, some presets "sound" louder than others—they're monitoring the same output levels, however to our ears, they sound much louder. So when I switch from, say, a clean preset, to a more high gain preset, the preset tone is WAY louder than my mix in Logic, and turning down Output 1, for example, affects the entire output volume of my computer along with the output volume of the preset tone. So my question is: is there a way to only change the output volume of the preset (without changing the actual preset levels) coming out of FM9 while keeping my mix level static in USB direct monitoring?

Apologies if this answer exists out there already, but I couldn't seem to find what I was looking for. Thanks!

So I've figured out how to set up the USB input level with a performance control, which does work, but wasn't exactly what I was hoping for. This requires me to raise the level of my entire playback to match my guitar volume, instead of lowering guitar volume to match playback. I'm not sure if this is possible, but: I'd like to use the same performance control to adjust the output volume of my guitar preset without affecting the level of the preset, i.e. my DAW would still register same input volume even though I'm hearing my guitar louder or quieter—basically what the global Out 1 knob does, but I'd have control over guitar volume separate from playback volume with the performance control.

I guess at the same time, or in simpler terms, I'm asking if there's any global parameter on FM9 edit that can change guitar volume but not output levels.

1. your guitar volume knob
2. fm9 guitar input block level
3. amp input level
4. amp gain level
5. amp master volume level
6. cab level
7. fm9 output block level

none of these affect the output level of usb playback,

a) and you can also add extra blocks if you wish specifically for this purpose if you are ocd
b).. or, or you can decide which presets you are going to use and set their individual levels appropriately.

Hello!

I've been direct monitoring/recording through Logic, (i.e. FM9 straight into Macbook via USB). As we're all aware, some presets "sound" louder than others—they're monitoring the same output levels, however to our ears, they sound much louder. So when I switch from, say, a clean preset, to a more high gain preset, the preset tone is WAY louder than my mix in Logic, and turning down Output 1, for example, affects the entire output volume of my computer along with the output volume of the preset tone. So my question is: is there a way to only change the output volume of the preset (without changing the actual preset levels) coming out of FM9 while keeping my mix level static in USB direct monitoring?

Apologies if this answer exists out there already, but I couldn't seem to find what I was looking for. Thanks!

With configuration #1, you basically only have control over the playback and overall levels, so, as described in the recording guide, you have to juggle those two controls to do what you want.

To independently control playback and guitar levels without affecting the preset level with configuration #1, you'll need to send the playback and guitar to separate outputs. That means you could conceivably use the i/o settings option to send playback to output 2. That way you can use the output 1 knob for guitar and the output 2 knob for playback. But then you lose a control for overall volume, and you'll need Y cables to merge the two outputs.

Instead, I'd recommend using configuration #2. That's one of the advantages to configuration #2...it gives you more control over monitor levels without affecting the preset level. In other words, send playback and guitar to separate outputs and use an outboard mixer (or use an audio interface as a mixer).

Last edited:
Great, thanks for the detailed explanation. And thanks for writing up that guide as well—super helpful. I'll probably stick with configuration #1 for now and see how the juggling goes. A mixer or an interface with more inputs may be in the cards at some point.

I appreciate the original post question here, and honestly didn't realize the easy solution (I think!) until this weekend. After reading GlennOs recording guide many many times I MISSED this key sentence: "adjust your preset OUTPUT level". Not the "amp level". but the output level that is found in the preset leveling window AND on the OUTPUT block. So if in Logic if I dial up a preset I like, but need a level adjust for recording I just increase/decrease the right amount OUTPUT level, then hit record, and bam perfect level and tone, without monkeying around with amp levels etc. You can save the preset with that output adjust or not.

I also saw on a Cooper video you can set the out levels for each scene. which is pretty cool.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but altering either the amp level or the output level will result in a change in volume, i.e. less decibels into your DAW.

The Preset Leveling Tool adjusts the Amp block Level parameter. It has separate controls for each amp block.

Back
Top Bottom