Diodes for dummies?

Ah, my bad...sorry.
No worries. I could have been clearer. I think Steve Jobs once said something like “Customers don’t know what they want till you show it to them.” When it comes to the Axe, that would sum me up about right. Really just kinda idly curious about what could be next.

You haven't been here long enough to see the cycle:

Everything sounds great. Couldn't get better.

Cliff has an epiphany. Everything sounds better.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

:D

Yup, just happened again!

• Everything sounds great. Couldn't get better.
  • Cliff has an epiphany. Everything sounds better.
  • Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

What does clipping sound like?
Break up... a distortion?

Distortion.

Maybe go look at some audio references on how guitar distortion (analog for now) is developed over the signal path? That would really help you understand something like “clipping”.

Then you can look at even and odd ordered harmonics generated in the process. ( more advanced).

So in context if a clean tone is desired... then clipping is not desired. But in a drive block we want some sort of clipping.
So there are sine waves, and amplitude of these waves being reduced and amplified to reduce clipping... unless you want clipping...
If your amp design is high gain... it's the same? Clipping.
I'm just not sure when and were I want clipping. I want to achieve clarity and tone in the amp and add clipping via a drive block or is clipping a nasty thing?

So in context if a clean tone is desired... then clipping is not desired. But in a drive block we want some sort of clipping.
So there are sine waves, and amplitude of these waves being reduced and amplified to reduce clipping... unless you want clipping...
I'm just not sure when and were I want clipping. I want to achieve clarity and tone in the amp and add clipping via a drive block or is clipping a nasty thing?
Most "clean" sounds are not very clean...;)

Analog clipping (which is what is being modeled) is distortion. So named (I assume) because the wave form is getting distorted (from being a sine wave).

Most guitarists like distortion... Some times a lot, some times a little...

Yes, in the simplest visual, imagine a sine wave with an amplitude which exceeds the capacity ( in amplitude ) of the circuit. That makes a sort of a crude square wave. Hence, simple distortion.

Diodes, opamps distort one way while many prefer “tubes” softer, harmonic distortion either in both preamp or power amp. It gets deep ... more than I could explain. I’ve already passed my knowledge in this field. ;)

But stringing them together in series raises their combined clip level tolerance, so less clipping.
FOUR47YFD80OUWQ.LARGE.jpg

According to this it looks like 2 diodes in series has less clipping. Diagram3 vs diagram4.

Back
Top Bottom