digitech whammy effect? with fractal?

trock

Inspired
what do you guys use in the fractal to achieve this?

i just heard this effect used by the Raconteurs guitar player and really liked it

i guess the problem is that is a foot pedal also, so can this be done with the fractal and say a crybaby wah i have?

or do i just need to get the digitech whammy and put it in front of the fractal for when i need it?

thanks!

trock said:

i just heard this effect used by the Raconteurs guitar player and really liked it

i guess the problem is that is a foot pedal also, so can this be done with the fractal and say a crybaby wah i have?

or do i just need to get the digitech whammy and put it in front of the fractal for when i need it?

thanks!

You need an expression pedal for it. You could use this expression pedal for wah/whammy/vol/mix....

I imagine the best thing to use to get a whammy sound out of the Axe-FX would be the Pitch block set to Whammy mode. Just a guess though. ;) :cool:

Your wah pedal won't be able to control it, you will need an expression pedal, or a volume pedal and a insert-lead. I use one of the Ernie Ball volume pedals.

cool guys

thanks

i had read on here that the fractal sound is really good to, just couldn't figure out how to control it though

do you guys have a link to a particular brand pedal you like?

this is all new to me, but i love this effect

actually i do have the standard now, love it

just didn't want to buy something if the fractal did it better, was unable to figure out how to control a patch it had though with a pedal

good stuff

thanks guys!

the roland looks nice

I have the Roland and an Ernie Ball volume pedal. They both work great but for a bit more accuracy I'd say that the Roland has the edge. It's actually designed to be an expression pedal. The difference is pretty small though as I prefer to use the Ernie Ball. Either way, if you have an AxeFx and don't have an expression pedal, you may miss out on a lot of cool control features. Jmho.

I use the Rocktron Hex which feels great, but you have to reverse polarity on an insert cable for it to work right with a Midi controller (works right from scratch direct connected to the Axe though).

hunter said:
I use the Rocktron Hex which feels great, but you have to reverse polarity on an insert cable for it to work right with a Midi controller (works right from scratch direct connected to the Axe though).

Not with rocktron gear..at least not with All Access with which it's probably designed to be used.

trock said:

thanks!

The Fractal whammy sounds better than my Whammy4 pedal, dunno bout the other whammys. You can also assign it to be controlled by LFO, pitch(!), envelope..

Some have said they wish it was raunchier though =)

danielodland said:
The Fractal whammy sounds better than my Whammy4 pedal, dunno bout the other whammys. You can also assign it to be controlled by LFO, pitch(!), envelope..

Some have said they wish it was raunchier though =)
Also keep in mind that the frequency range on the Digitech is quite limited. The Axe's goes up to 20.000hz whereas the Digitech is dead a lot earlier. That's why the Axe's is perceived as cleaner, but you can adjust the hicut filter for that.

if i got the roland, how do i hook it up? i now some of you fell off your chair there, but i haven't had pedals in a long time, nor do i really knwo when or how to use this pedal.

do i just run the cable out of the guitar into the roland, then out of the roland and into the fractal

and then whatever patch i have going i can sue the pedal with??

thanks!

flame away!

Guitar plugs into the Axe-Fx. Roland pedal plugs into one of the pedal jacks in the back of the Axe-Fx

Hank said:
Guitar plugs into the Axe-Fx. Roland pedal plugs into one of the pedal jacks in the back of the Axe-Fx

Does the Boss require an insert cable like the EB pedal?

I've said it before but certain effects have some unique qualities to them. The original Whammy WH-1 had a particular algorithm (not the same int eh WH-4 reissue) that broke up quite musically when the box lost tracking. To me, that warble is what really made the original Whammy so special and gave it that "analog feel." In addition, the WH-1 also had a special auto-ranging input circuit that probably had a good deal to do with the tone and tracking.

I think the tracking on the Axe is great and it handles the effect quite nicely, but I still think there is something special about the original Whammy that cannot be capured unless you model the autoranging input circuit and maybe even model the algorithm a bit differently (not necessarily better or more accurate). I've owned the WH-1, Whammy 2 (which had the same algorithm as the WH-1 but w/o the autoranging circuit), IPS-33B (basically the same as a Whammy 2), XP-100, and Axe-FX Ultra (still have the WH-1, XP-100, and my Ultra). I've played the WH-4 in the stores. IMHO, the WH-4 is not THE Digitech Whammy Effect. The WH-1 is and to a slightly lesser extent the Whammy 2 and IPS-33B.

Just my 2 cents.

I've been told the WH2 was terrible and that they went back to the original algo for the WH4 but with better pedal, new presets and midi...thats what a much respected dealer over here told me...=) I'm going to assume they didn't know what they were talking about. I've owned the WH4 twice, it's really bad as a harmonizer but the whammy presets are better than MANY other units, including many rackmount multiFX units.

The pitch FX question was in fact what steered me towards AFX. I asked in a forum once what to get because I was sick and tired of terrible tracking when using the 1octUP presets in different units and I was told: Gforce is OK, AFX is great and Eventide is the best. So I thought, Ok, I'm not really getting along with any of the eventides I've tried and I started reading about the AFX. I downloaded both manuals and read almost every post on the old setbb forum. I read through the manual (spent many a lunchbreak at work reading the pdf) and felt like I just read a good book. I was really excited so I pulled the trigger. Decided to go with ULTRA. Got it after a long wait (NOT Fractal's fault...). Sold all my preamps and tubeheads. After a while I sold the Mesa 5050 too and decided to go frfr with a JBL PRX. Never looked back, except for the fact that these days I play gigs without the PRX, just guitar, AFX and All Access. This is really because I actually blew my PRX...hoping to get it fixed soon.

Back
Top Bottom