Digitech GNX4 or Boss GT-8 as footcontroller?

bigbrown2056

Inspired
Does anyone know if you can use the GNX4 as a footcontroller for the axe fx? I also have the Boss GT-8 and can get it to do some patch changes but I can't get it to use the expression pedal on it. I'm just trying to get one of them to use the expression pedal if it's possible, because I just don't have the funds right now for a proper footcontroller and expression pedal. Any help would be much appreciated.

bigbrown2056 said:
Does anyone know if you can use the GNX4 as a footcontroller for the axe fx? I also have the Boss GT-8 and can get it to do some patch changes but I can't get it to use the expression pedal on it. I'm just trying to get one of them to use the expression pedal if it's possible, because I just don't have the funds right now for a proper footcontroller and expression pedal. Any help would be much appreciated.

Well, it seems no one answered yet.
Anyway, I would like the answer too.
Anyone Knows?
Thanks

Neither is really that great of a midi controller but if I had to pick between the two I would definitely choose the Boss. I had the GNX4 and GT-10 and if I remember correctly the GNX4 only sends program change messages and the Boss can send some cc's too. Double check the online manuals but I'm pretty sure that is how it was.

Here's their MIDI implementation charts. The Boss is more flexible. You should be able to set the Exp pedal and whatever effect you want to control to the same cc and they should communicate.

Attachments

• GT-8 Midi.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 195
  • GNX4Manual 122.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 195
Ringleader said:
Neither is really that great of a midi controller but if I had to pick between the two I would definitely choose the Boss. I had the GNX4 and GT-10 and if I remember correctly the GNX4 only sends program change messages and the Boss can send some cc's too. Double check the online manuals but I'm pretty sure that is how it was.

I'm interested in the GNX4 only because I can use it as a Hands free backingtrack player, and because it has a looper too, so, if I could use it as a midi footcontroller to control the Axe FX it would be great. I'm not interested in the amp modeling or effects because I own an Axe Fx Standard.
By the way, as you owned an GNX4, is it good for use like a backingtrack player or as a looper?
Thanks..

When I ran my tube rig I used the GT-10 for MIDI control of my amp via a RJM Amp Gizmo and also for front and rear end effects for my tube amp. I also used the GNX4 strictly for playing backing tracks/samples. It worked pretty good but both pedals became too much at my feet.

Organizing the tracks in the GNX4 can be confusing and the sound quality of the MP3 function is noticeably degraded (I used the recorder to play back tracks instead) but nobody will probably notice live. I always got clicks when using the looper unless it was timed just perfectly. No other looper that I have used gave me this problem. It's one thing to use it as a backing track player and another thing to run your entire signal through it to use it as a looper. Personally I wouldn't be caught dead running my Axe Fx through the GNX4 but I've been known to be a bit of a picky SOB. :)

Ringleader said:
When I ran my tube rig I used the GT-10 for MIDI control of my amp via a RJM Amp Gizmo and also for front and rear end effects for my tube amp. I also used the GNX4 strictly for playing backing tracks/samples. It worked pretty good but both pedals became too much at my feet.

Organizing the tracks in the GNX4 can be confusing and the sound quality of the MP3 function is noticeably degraded (I used the recorder to play back tracks instead) but nobody will probably notice live. I always got clicks when using the looper unless it was timed just perfectly. No other looper that I have used gave me this problem. It's one thing to use it as a backing track player and another thing to run your entire signal through it to use it as a looper. Personally I wouldn't be caught dead running my Axe Fx through the GNX4 but I've been known to be a bit of a picky SOB. :)

Thanks.
Your response is exactly what I wanted to know. So, now I don't have any reason to buy the GNX4. If , at least, it sounded good..... but, after hear to some clips, I came to the conclusion that the AXE FX sounds a million times better and was the best purchase I've ever made.

Considering that the top MIDI controllers are really expensive, I think the GT looks interesting and it will also function as backup. I really just need 4 patches, bank and 1 expression pedal.

How exactly can the Boss Gt-6/8/10 control the Axe-fx?
I'm a MIDI noob but I've read the GT handles patch change and volume.
Can the GT:
1. do Bank up/down?
2. use one or more IA controls?
3. change patches with all other switches?
4. Function as a real built in expression pedal for vol/wah and more?
5. add one external expression pedal?
6. What are the GT's MIDI limitations with the Axe?

Ive got a gt-8

I can get the built in expression pedal to work and i can use it as either a wah or a volume, the toe-down button doesnt work properly. the control pedal cannot be set properly, it sends a message on the downpress and then when you let go of the pedal it sends another message. (youd have to stand on it and keep standing on it to be any use)

overall i wouldnt buy one for the purpose, but if you had one already its somewhat useful for if you need something and you dont have anything else.

Thanks bluffalo.
So the same limited MIDI features goes for the XT-live I guess?
I just dont get it why Behringer or other big companies don't introduce a much smaller MIDI controller like the Liquid foot JR, less expensive of course. The big Behringer controller is simply too cumbersome, half the size of that spaceship would be great.

Lemurstrat said:
Thanks bluffalo.
So the same limited MIDI features goes for the XT-live I guess?
I just dont get it why Behringer or other big companies don't introduce a much smaller MIDI controller like the Liquid foot JR, less expensive of course. The big Behringer controller is simply too cumbersome, half the size of that spaceship would be great.

The POD XT Live actually works really well for most things. Patch changes, 4 stomp boxes, an expression that can be set as a volume and wah, and you can route an Axe output to the input to use the tuner built in. My only issue was that it doesn't have a merged MIDI OUT/THRU. And it makes a good backup for the Axe.

That's interesting andreww. Those basic functions are pretty much all I need for a foot controller. Can you switch banks up/down with the XT-Live? So it's basically the same MIDI functions as the Boss GT? I would prefer the Pod over GT as backup. Or even better the X3 that has a nicer pedal, but it's more expensive. I wish Fractal or other brands could come up with something basic and small like the Line 6 Express foot controller for the Axe.

I have asked about my "in the box-new GT-10" but didn't get an answer (a while back). So maybe I'll take it out of the box and give it a shot. I don't remember the "control" pads being momentary though? I remember toggling whatever I wanted on and off at will. I could be wrong. I'll take it out this weekend and give it a run. If I have any luck I'll post back.
BTW-I had the GT-10 for about 2 months when someone on the Boss Central kept posting about some "axe Fx " thing :). The rest is history!

Back
Top Bottom