Wish Digitech Freqout Pedal model

It’s been discussed countless times. It’s a custom algorithm so a bit tricky to just go and duplicate. Are ways you can get a similar effect with some existing blocks but I personally think the results come up short of the pedal.

Very easy to use the pedal in front or in a loop though.

+1 for the FREQUOUT aka feedback generator

...and please..... let's do a stellar job here - can we control
1) the amount of feedback via a foot controller [optional] - typical modifier control for the amount
2) the frequency of the feedback via a modifier as well

T H A N K S!!

So I don't know if this helps anyone, but apparently the Frequout applies the opposite logic that dbx's AFS2 Advanced Feedback Suppression Processor uses. Effectively creating feedback instead of eliminating it. Documentation on that can be found here https://dbxpro.com/en-US/products/afs2. Notably the Feedback_Prevention_And_Suppression.pdf download (their link seems to autodownload instead of opening in browser just FYI). Some more ideas can be found here: https://music.stackexchange.com/questions/54063/how-does-the-digitech-freqout-pedal-work

These ideas are just ballparking and pretending like I understand anything. Someone smarter than me can probably figure this out better.
  • Pitch Detector Controller does some sort of boost with an EQ or Filter block on the "main frequency" of your note
  • run this it through compression or distortion to replicate the effect of a guitar pickup/amp re-amplifying the same sound
    • you could maybe use send/receive blocks to create a feedback loop here instead????
  • pitch shift it up an octave + 5th (or whatever feedback typically does)
  • this signal can then run through the amp block (it seems like running all of this this "parallel" to your main chain, then connect prior to the amp block would give you greater control)
The part part here that I can't really wrap my head around is how to get the "extra" frequencies that would potentially add to the sound of feedback in a realistic scenario. Maybe the pitch block can fake that, but I'm not sure. Maybe its not really that necessary to get all of them to be convincing enough.

I will mention that I have tried a couple of the free presets for this sort of thing found in various threads, but none of them sounded anywhere close to convincing to me. Moke's Rebel Yell preset demo on youtube sounds very convincing. As I have yet to buy the preset, I'm not entirely sure how well it works in less controlled environment (ie not his own demo), but it sounds dead on to me. I will probably bite the bullet on it this weekend, am just crossing my fingers it actually works as advertised. (I only say this because I bought a pretty popular and expensive pack and was left hugely disappointed)

Back
Top Bottom