Digitech 2120 dying...

Great idea. But, while I am all for restoring cool future vintage gear, @ what they go for right now, you can get a complete working used replacement for less than the price of a boutique fuzz pedal.

that's not a bad point actually… mostly likely be able to pick up a fully working / good condition 2120 [or 2120 chipped 2112] for a few hundred bux
the prob is find one I guess.. but I can't say I've been looking for one so I don't know

Yeah, I have had several 2120's over the years. The problem with buying one used for a few hundred bucks is it may not work right. The last one before my current one came half dead. I had to reflow runs, clean pots, and repair foot controller. I ended up selling that one to guy in Germany. I regretted that because soon after that the output pot started to flake on me on my current one.

Anyway, who does a restore on the 2120's?

Not taken anything away from the Axe Fx, which I am dying to get, but it would be nice to get the 2120 professionally restored.

PM if you like.

Thanks,

dk

I have a 2120 and a Johnson J 12 Controller( Control 1 on steroids also works with Johnson amps) + extra parts /tubes for both. If your interested, PM me for details.

We ex Digitech heads are many here in AXE-FX Land. I think that we should put our heads together and help old JUNKDK <- (could that be short for "Junk Dick"? I'm just thinkin out loud here)
To write a fitting Eulogy for his beloved and old used & abused 2120. May it rest in peace!
Let's hear some good Eulogy ideas from the Ex Digitech Brotherhood.

SUP? :D

Hello,,My name is Dave and I'm a recovering Digiholic:lol
Here was one of my old rigs...

recrig-1.jpg

Yep lots of us around,,I still have one in my rec console,,,but,,,since I had an Ultra, and now I have an AXE-II,, I think I have maybe turned it on ,,,maybe Twice since 2009..:shock

Kinda never looked back,,but there ARE,, a couple presets I could stand to port over into the Axe...ehhh maybe one day:roll

Enjoy the ride brother..It's a fun Rabbit hole.

MOSHON
DAVE

I was a 2101 user for years, as well. However, I just used it DI for studio stuff, which is also what I do with the AFX2. The 2101/2112/2120 are great pieces of gear, but I think the AFX2 blows them away in every aspect. That shouldn't be surprising, given the rapid development of technology and the high amount of processing power the AFX2 uses.

Despite all the people saying "you don't need that Mesa power amp anymore," I would say hold off on taking that out of your rig. You can dial out the power amp simulation on the AFX2's amp sims while continuing to use the Mesa, and that might be a good way to start with it. If you can pick up a solid state power amp cheaply, that would be a good way to compare and see whether you need the Mesa. I haven't tried that with my AFX2, but with my old AFX Standard, I never felt that I could get the right sound with a SS power amp. Obviously, the power amp modeling on the AFX2 is a MILLION times better than it was on the Standard, though, so perhaps that's not true anymore.

I had a 2120. It had some cool presets and had excellent delays and such but I could never get a good distorted tone. I actually gave mine away once I got the axefx II.

Don't 2120's go for around $200-300 on the used market? I'm not trying to talk you out of an AxeFX, but if you love the 2120 so much it would probably be most cost-effective to just buy a used in that's in decent shape.

recrig-1.jpg

Yep lots of us around,,I still have one in my rec console,,,but,,,since I had an Ultra, and now I have an AXE-II,, I think I have maybe turned it on ,,,maybe Twice since 2009..:shock

Kinda never looked back,,but there ARE,, a couple presets I could stand to port over into the Axe...ehhh maybe one day:roll

MOSHON
DAVE
I had the same 2/100 rectifier amp too, matched with a Mesa over sized 4 x 12 cab. Absolutely brutal volume combo.

Also went the Ultra to Ax II route, BUT there is still one effect from the 2120 that I can't seem to recreate on the AXE II.
It is a sample flange effect! I would hit a low note, sample it for one sec with a momentary switch with the flanger.

It drops 1 to 2 octaves over a one measure depending on the BPM of the tune, at full bandwidth and 3 times the samples volume, engulfing the stage and audience, like a slow dive bomb synth.
Think Skrillex, but cleaner, and it would end when I released the momentary switch. The attack is similar to U 2's Mysterious Ways,( but 3 or 4 beats longer and cleaner). The answer, I think is with the ANSR/LFO setting combination. The effect is jaw dropping.
I'll try and make a sample this weekend. OR if any of you have a 2120 and Axe Fx, I'll send you the preset settings. I gave up after 4 attempts.
Maybe one of the Axe Fx genies here can succeed where I failed. Only reason I haven't sold it yet.:shock

recrig-1.jpg

MOSHON
DAVE

Thanks, that was some rack! I rarely turn back once I make a decision...unless the sound sucks. Which in this case I doubt it will. I have been watching that Cooper guy on you tube...wow. I can hardly wait to get the Axe FX. Shipping says next Tuesday, plus I am on vacation, dust will be burning.

Thanks,

dk

Don't 2120's go for around $200-300 on the used market? I'm not trying to talk you out of an AxeFX, but if you love the 2120 so much it would probably be most cost-effective to just buy a used in that's in decent shape.

It's that last part that's the problem. They haven't been produced for years and are all getting old. Unless you have the ability to test it fully in person, you have to assume you are buying a project.

The 2101 is even worse. Good luck finding one of those now with a functioning screen or data wheel.

I loved my 2101 to bits. It finally had too many things wrong with it to use at all, but I did have a few beers one night and make a video of it before it went off to the big rig in the sky. Mark Day's got nothing on me.

(There's a couple of F-bombs in the video.. Please don't judge me!)

Yeah, I have had several 2120's over the years. The problem with buying one used for a few hundred bucks is it may not work right. The last one before my current one came half dead. I had to reflow runs, clean pots, and repair foot controller. I ended up selling that one to guy in Germany. I regretted that because soon after that the output pot started to flake on me on my current one.

Anyway, who does a restore on the 2120's?

Not taken anything away from the Axe Fx, which I am dying to get, but it would be nice to get the 2120 professionally restored.

PM if you like.

Thanks,

dk

I'm in the UK and so I send my units off to the official Digitech repair guys here
which are these guys:
https://www.soundtech.co.uk/music-retail/digitech
they are superb..

if you're not in the UK, I guess you need to find the equivalent guys..

Yeah I had sound tech restore one of my 2120s back in the day, they did a good job, I can't remember the fault, probably a bad connection or component. Anyway, there's little point now, they were state of the art in their day, but outmoded by plenty of other devices out there today.

So first impressions....the 2:90 is fighting the presets. I now hear why most of you use a solid state amp. I get around most issues with some tweaks. The potential is endless...reminds me of the first days of the 2120. I am setting up the computer for tweaks. I also bought the Marshall JVM410HJS as back up so when I get tired of programing. Using Axe edit is the way to go, front panel responds funny. When I roll clockwise on the big wheel it sometimes goes backwards or the setting does not change. I have to move the wheel slow to change presets, could be just a glitch at this point. Thanks.

dk

We ex Digitech heads are many here in AXE-FX Land.

makes sense though don't it…
most folk complained that the 2101 / 2112 / 2120 units were 'too complicated'..
I found them to be really intuitive once you'd learned how to drive it..
I guess 'too complicated' = couldn't be fkd to read the manual

it don't surprise me at all us 21xx guys all take to the Axe like ducks to water..

Back
Top Bottom