Digital is glorious and…challenging….

sick pickle

Inspired
I am recently making presets for this metal band that I’m auditioning with. My main sound was based on the Petrucci FM9 factory preset. I thought it was sounding really, really good until I tried the Mark Day rectifier preset. Holy crap. Night and day. This preset sounds Massive in comparison.

I’m not sure what I’m trying to say but it goes to show…you think you have a tone dialled in and sounding great and then all of a sudden…. it just doesn’t sound good anymore! I know it is whole bunch of factors like the amp model and the cabinets and everything… but this is one of the most frustrating and challenging things about digital to me.

I often have the same experience, especially when I buy a 3rd party preset. I did a lot of A/B between real amps and Fractal models, and overwhelmingly the models have HUGE bass and are VERY scooped as compared to the real amp. In order to match preset to amp, I had to boost mids and cut lows. In order to match real amp to preset, I had to add an EQ in series set to a V-shape, even if the amp was a Mesa Mark with the EQ already set that way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom