Difficulties seeing the side dots on the neck on a dark or dim stage

scottp

Fractal Fanatic
Hey guys, do you have any suggestions for seeing the side dots on a dark/dim stage?

Thanks.

Glow-in-the-dark tape, I keep a small roll in my bag for just these scenarios. I tear/cut off a very small piece @ 1/8" square and place next to the fret markers. I charge the 'dots' with my phone's flashlight a few minutes before we start the set.

I used a small (thin) drill bit to create a divot where each side dot is on my EVH Wolfgang w/roasted maple neck. Then I filled that divot with a mixture of phosphorescent powder mixed into clear nail polish. As above, I can charge the inlays w/a flashlight/phone, but stage lights also work to charge them.

Lumilay,
zzZAHcK.jpg

or you can make your own with luminous Fimo.

72TlBUc.jpg

There are sellers on Etsy that make glowing fretboard and side dot markers.

Or, tell the lighting person to keep the spotlight on you.

I had a Suhr Modern with a Roasted neck and board that had black side dots, never mind low light in bright lite they were hard to see.

I have Luminlays on a couple and they don't work well if they have not been in strong light just before you need them. I agree about abalone .
I have luminlays on a Strandberg with a roasted birdseye maple fingerboard and you can hardly see them in the day . Partly terrible positioning in playing eye view.

Back
Top Bottom