Wish Differentiate "Types" tab/page in blocks into "Types" (different topologies) and "Presets" (different settings within a single topology).

Ugly Bunny

Power User
The discussion about the Megatap types got me thinking; for some blocks, it seems "types" are just basically 'presets' of parameters available within one topology of the block, but with others, like the Amp block, Drive block, and Delay block, each type seems to be an entirely different topology with different available parameters and VERY different sounds.

The wish/suggestion would be to have blocks where the "types" are just presets differentiated from blocks where the "types" are legitimate different topologies. So like, for the Megatap delay, have "Types" tab in Edit be changed to "Settings" or "Presets," and for the Amp, Drive, Delay, etc., it would remain "Types."

This would open up the possibility in the future to have amp, drive, and delay "presets" built in - having both "Types" and "Presets" pages/tabs, so if Cooper Carter or Leon Todd have some great Deluxe Memory Man settings, they could be included in a future FW update. Rather than just loading the block and tweaking from the default, you could have different starting points, depending on what you're going for with the block.

The amp and drives could be the same way; which would be especially useful for amps that users aren't familiar with. There could be presets like, "Fat," "Clean," "Edge of Breakup," "Boosted," or even named after songs, "Count of Tuscany," "Jump," etc.

We already have that: Block Library.

Differentiating between "types" and "presets" within blocks make things more difficult. For the regular the difference between algorithms and effect "presets" makes no difference. Just semantics.

Haha I knew you were gonna come in and say how this would be pointless lol :D
We already have that: Block Library.
True, on the editors, but not on the unit itself.
Differentiating between "types" and "presets" within blocks make things more difficult. For the regular the difference between algorithms and effect "presets" makes no difference. Just semantics.
That's my point, though; I don't think it's just semantics when one is just presets of available parameters and the other is entirely different topologies altogether. And that addresses the other part of my suggestion; if they were split up/clarified/differentiated, it would open the door to in-built presets (flavors?) of blocks that truly have different topologies and would assist new users in finding their particular flavor of a given amp or Drive pedal that they've never used before, etc. I suspect a fair amount of people don't use certain blocks because they really don't know how they could be useful; or they don't get as much out of them because a lot of the settings can be confusing or intimidating. Something like the compressor block, with different types (topologies) would benefit greatly from "Flavors" as well, like the presets compressor plugins in DAWs have.

For instance, you add a Compressor block. Then you choose your Type (Pedal 1, for instance). Then you can tweak to your heart's content, or you can choose a preset/flavor, such as "Chicken' Pickin'," "Light Sustain," "Breathing," etc.

But you're not for it, that's cool; I respect and appreciate your opinion about this (and of course your continued contribution to the FAS community).

Good idea, but things like this make the Axe seem more complicated than it really is. A good amount of new customers can’t find the amp types in the amp block as is. Adding hierarchy levels adds another step into selecting an effect.

So the next step is making this change optional, which adds another setup menu item that’s “buried in so many screens” and people give up. “I just want to select a compressor, but I have to go through 4 layers of menus to get there.”

Again, good idea, but there has to be balance for ease of use.

Just expressing my opinion, which I hope is ok.

I don't get it. What does this division buy you that you don't already have? Take the Delay Block, for instance. "Type" will sometimes change the (now hidden but previously visible) "Config" parameter, and will sometimes not. What difference does it make?

Back
Top Bottom