Different options/ideas to be able to fund GAS

Edrod

Power User
Hey guys,

Apparently I've been going on thread making binge lately haha. With the last couple of updates, my motivation to play more and one day live live has sky rocket. I've been able to acquire a good amount of good gear through out the years. Talks of starting a family within the next 5 years have been established which is awesome but will change things financially.

I've been curious what options are out there to make some extra cash to fund some gas, which has been high in my meter lately. The wife and I both have careers but have been stuck in the mortgage/car payment/student loan/dog child phenomena. We live very comfortably but nothing out of the norms.

I've tried doing side jobs like simple landscaping which was a nightmare. Lots of hard labor only to get screwed on the the side. Recently I've looked at getting a 2nd job part time but I'm having a hard time figuring out hours.

I've tried giving guitar lessons but I feel guilty charging others. I am an instructor volunteer at a local agency that teaches veterans who suffer from ptsd how to play guitar. I feel that if I can help people learn how to play it can help avoid creating more lil Wayne, k west, and fake musicians.

Any ideas recommendations you guys have?

Thanks as always

Lose any attachment to old gear and sell it off to fund new gear. Be patient and sell it at a good price. Also be patient when buying new gear and get it at a good price, buy used from reputable people, or through places that have return policies incase something is wrong with it.

Lately I've been buying/selling things and have actually profited from buying/selling while simultaneously improving the gear that I find myself using 99% of the time... generally, if I haven't touched it in a few months, or if I have multiple of the same thing, It's going to be sold to acquire a new piece of gear, or to improve an existing piece (like a monitor or rack case or something).

Jrod, that's a great idea. I sold a camera yesterday in order to fund some mixing videos I've been wanting to buy. I sold an old atomic reactor last year for some decent cash. The only things I have left is pod x3, foot controller, pa speakers, and a firestudio interface.

haha thanks. If you keep consolidating gear and upgrading, eventually you'll get to a point where you simply don't have any spare gear to move. But, if you do it right, you can keep trading up until you get something awesome.

Over my entire life, I've bought about $7000 worth of stuff (haha yes I just calculated it because it interested me), some of it new, some used. Of that 7000, I sold off some gear and got about $2400 in return. So my net investment is $4600 up to this point in my life. So what do I have to show for it?

-2013 USA PRS Cu24 (worth about $2000 now - used re-sale price) - bought it new
-Carvin Cobalt Acoustic/Electric ($250)
-Ibanez SR650PB ($350)
-AXE FX 2 Mark 2 ($1800)
-4U Gator Powered Rolling Rack Case ($100)
-JBL PRX612 ($400)
-Misc. guitar cases and cables ($200)

Add it all up and that's $5100 in 'value', and that's using the used re-sale price for some of the stuff that I bought brand new - like the PRS, which obviously I took a 'hit' on because of depreciation.

So my lifetime net investment is $4600, but my used value now is $5100. Considering I'm probably forgetting something, I'm willing to call it even.

I'd say that's pretty good considering most people lose, big time, when they sell their gear over the course of time, especially if you date back to the very beginning of when you started to play guitar, simply because no one knows what they want when they start, so they go through gear for a while, losing value each time.

Glad I took the time to do this, haha... not sure it helped, lol.

Last edited:
The only way to make real money is to own your own business. You charge people $60/hr for your employees and pay them $20, after expenses you pocket $15/hr each. Find a way to employee twenty such people.

Hahaha it really does man. It gives me a different way of seeing things that I really have never thought about. After reading your second post, I've realized that I get stuck in the I have to buy it new mentality. Add to the idea that I might be hoarding some things doesn't help much.

I camera I sold I had not used in about 3 years. When a seller showed interest I went into freak out mode. "But maybe I'll use it one day!"
Clearly, I had not used it in 3 years hahaha.

The only way to make real money is to own your own business. You charge people $60/hr for your employees and pay them $20, after expenses you pocket $15/hr each. Find a way to employee twenty such people.

I wouldn't say that is the only way......and certainly requires a lot of committment (and it sounds like the OP is looking for a 'side job' type of situation).

JRod's suggestions are right on. I actually enjoy going on a 'selling old gear' binge, because I feel good about making space, and I now have more cash to play with.
I would suggest joining a cover band. It's a great way to get out and play to have fun, and you can make good $ while doing it. I use my cover band money to fund my music purchases (for the most part). I also agree with buying stuff at the right price. Don't fall into the trap of "I need this right now, no matter what it costs" trap. I have friends like that, and they ALWAYS pay to much for the gear, and lose money when they decide to sell.

Ok, learn to hit a 98 mph fastball.

Oh come on. There are thousands of guys who can hit the fastball. It's the curveball that sends them searching for alternative work. :)

On a serious note, sure you can make good money being a business owner. You can also loose your ass. To suggest that is the "only" way has no validity. Sorry.

Reactions: BBN

But then you are so stressed from the baby sitting of twenty ...ahem adults you are too stressed to enjoy anything :p

I set up a small consulting business that makes enough to pay for my gas. I have a reasonably good first job so we don't need the extra money to live, anything I make can be devoted to other things like guitars, pedals, etc. Since my purchases don't impact our day to day operating budget my wife is fine with it.

some are selling slightly used firmware here on the forum. you could give that a try, there are a few not happy with the 18 beta, but I don't know why!

Donate blood and plasma? It's not a ton of cash but you are helping people and can do it whenever you have time.

I remember doing that as an undergrad. I remember the first moth I got about $300, after that it dropped drastically haha

Back
Top Bottom